The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Default For worship: Tele or Strat?

OK, for playing contemporary worship stuff....you......Brewster, Tomlin, Crowder, etc., which guitar would be the best fit? I'm looking at buying an electric and am torn between a '72 Thinline Tele, Tribute S-500, and an ASAT Classic.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
OK, for playing contemporary worship stuff....you......Brewster, Tomlin, Crowder, etc., which guitar would be the best fit? I'm looking at buying an electric and am torn between a '72 Thinline Tele, Tribute S-500, and an ASAT Classic.
Hi tman22...
Entirely depends on your style, your gear (amps/pedals), and the sound you are after, and the band you play it in.

I've used everything from Strats to LesPauls successfully, and I currently have a Strat, but if buying new might consider a Paul Reed Smith or even a G&L with characteristics of both Strat and Tele...or Strat and LesPaul (in line and humbuckers)...

Since none of our current worship leaders is a Brewster or Tomlin or Crowder...I'd want to choose a sound that would compliment our sound and team.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM

I use a PRS but also have a Hahn 228 (Tele style) and a Hahn 229 (Strat style) coming.

They are very different guitars. In GENERAL:

PRS is great for that really beefy sound, major mojo on leads, solid powerful sounding notes and chords. When played clean and in the neck or middle position it sounds very tasty with blues and jazzy stuff. Love it. It's my main axe now.

Tele style can be used for anything but really excels in my mind for those really full, thick cutting notes. I'm going to use this guy to cut through a really thick mix and just really pop. It wouldn't be my first choice for a more mellow, jazzy tone.

Strat is very versatile and can do alot of stuff too, everything from those cutting, rocking tones to blues, etc. I would say that neither the tele nor strat can do what PRS's or Les Pauls do in that thick, fat humber driven tone (unless you outfit them with humbuckers, but then why not a PRS or LP?).

In the end no guitar can do everything tops, so maybe deciding what you want it to excel in will point you in the right direction.

I would say that the most important thing next to your electric of choice will be a really good amp. I'm LOVING the Louis Electrics now.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM

My tendency would definitely lean towards a tele. That being said, right now I have a strat sitting up on stage, but normally it's my tele. I find a tele to be more versatile. I like a strum on a tele a lot more than a strat and, since I'm an acoustic player by nature, the tele's neck feel is a lot more to my liking.

Just my $.02

http://www.facebook.com/tylerhansenmusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansentj
Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansentj View Post
My tendency would definitely lean towards a tele. That being said, right now I have a strat sitting up on stage, but normally it's my tele. I find a tele to be more versatile. I like a strum on a tele a lot more than a strat and, since I'm an acoustic player by nature, the tele's neck feel is a lot more to my liking.

Just my $.02
It's amazing how much difference in tone that the neck thickness and profile can make. On my last visit to Hahn guitars I tried out a bunch and the difference in a 1" vs. a .83" neck was huge. I went with the .83" inch since it seemed much more lively.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:10 PM

About the only new PRS that would be in the price range of the Fenders would be the Mira which has a coil tap option thus giving a real nice ability for the single coil tone if needed. I have played the mira and they are nice!! very versatile.
I would possibly go a tele over the strat. I think you can get a warmer tone with them-- although one could buy a fat strat which has a humbucker in the bridge position and can be coil taped!
I have had Gibsons and other LP copies for other brands and really find I don`t like the short scale for capo. unless you use a real heavy gage string they are more tempermental to being out of intonation as the strings are so soft. Even a PERFECTLY placed capo can be a head ache. Seems as if no matter how hard I try on the shorter scale and .09s it is extremely difficult to get a capo to play decent to my ears. I have several capos and you have to hit it righ on the head for pressure and placement which makes it more of a PITA.
With the PRS or fender guitars especially with at least .010s they sound much better capoed.
The reason I say this about capos is unless you are a lead only player many worship songs work and sound better with specific chord forms that require a capo for the specific key you are in.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

You've already got the POD X3 Live. Why not get a Variax to go with it?

You'll be able to cover pretty much any base you can think of with that combination.

A 600 will do you nicely.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman22 View Post
For all those mentioned, I play all my guitars. Sorry but it is the truth. I play a Duesenberg Mike Campbell about 1/2 the time. I split another 40% between my PRS and my ESP (strat copy). As soon as my custom Suhr Classic is done, I will replace the ESP. The remaining 10% is my Rickenbacker 12 string.

All that said, I "accidentally" played a new G&L ASAT Classic Rustic and was instantly in love. Great tone that I could find room for in my herd.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 PM

Default Tele player here..

I own a American made Nashville Tele with a B bender. I get my Strat sounds along with the Telecaster quack.
Having said that, I'm working my way towards the Taylor T3 with a bigsby.
Pretty expensive, but I'm hearing nice tones coming from those guitars!
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM

I'm a worship leader who leads from electric. I've been going through guitars like water trying to find the "perfect" set-up I've got an amazing strat with singles, but for the modern worship stuff you're after, I've found I also need a humbucker. I sold a few guitars in order to purchase a nicer humbucker guitar. I ended up getting a great deal on 2 guitars and I decided to get them both, take a week or so and pick. I got a PRS CE (used) and a Taylor SolidBody Standard. I haven't been able to play the Taylor yet (can't get the set-up right), but I've used the PRS the past 2 weeks and it really is an amazing guitar! I haven't paid much attention to PRS over the years (too pricey for me), but I had never seen these CE's. They are discontinued now, but are pretty much a Custom with a bolt-on neck. Great fit and finish, and amazing playability. The pickups are a bit different, but you should really take a look @ these. Here's the one I got.

It may be for sale, depending on what I decide. I got them both as amazing deals, but I can only afford to keep one

If you really look you can find one in great condition for right round $1000.

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby
Old 10-19-2009, 08:42 PM

our worship teams are pretty much copy bands. We try to play the arrangement as close to the original track as we can. I see a lot EG players in Christian bands playing teles. I rarely see a strat. Maybe a tele with a humbucker is the way to go? That's why I am looking at a '72 Thinline.
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Bottom line for this thread is the Lord does not care...........Use whatever works for you. I use a Strat sometimes, a Tele sometimes, I have used an
ES335. I have played worship with people playing Les Pauls...

Whatever works for you and your worship team.................

Blessings.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM

I wouldn't worship either, personally.

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM

I personally use my strat and my Les Paul depending on what we are playing that day. The other guy that plays guitar in our group uses a tele. All of the above work great, no compliants but my personal favorite is for a clean electric I use my Strat and with distortion I like my Les Paul. If I had to choose one I would go with my Strat as the all around guitar. Just my opinion
'05 Takamine G320 (beach/beater guitar)
'03 Gibson Les Paul standard plus Desert Burst
ESP bass
Yamaha APX-700
Johnson Madolin
Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 AM

Either will work fine. No one but you will care what you're playing if you are making a joyful noise.

It's the reason you're playing, not what you're playing. I play whatever I feel like at the time and find no difference whether it's an electric or acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification