The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Default John Mayer Ends Artist Relationship with Fender

A buddy from Sweden forwarded this link to me over the weekend:

http://reverb.com/blog/john-mayer-an...it-with-fender

Everybody drop whatever you're doing, rush over to GC and buy up all those JM Signature Strats hanging on the walls. They'll be considered collectors' items some day...
Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I'd agree with him that it's not the same company. Seems to all over the place and going back and forth on things (all the acquisitions and shut downs, sell offs, etc.).
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM

I've never heard a single John Mayer song.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 10-20-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
I've never heard a single John Mayer song.
Why not?
max
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM

I wonder if he'll sign an endorsement with someone else (same question asked as that article). I can't see him switching from a Strat though unless it was something like a G&L.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
Why not?
max
I've no idea. I know he's pretty boy and I know he's dated some pretty girls, but I've never had the urge to listen to any of his music.

Maybe if he was a little uglier.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 10-21-2014, 10:10 PM

Fender actually began going off the tracks in the go-go 90s, when its solution to a declining market for new guitars was to acquire every competitor they could. You can only float so many junk-bond issues until one day, they come due, and you have to pay them off. That's what led to them having to sell to an equity capital firm (who only cares about the bottom line and profit figures, NOT making a quality product). People who thought that Fender was going to inject some needed capital in Hamer, Tacoma, Guild and Ovation when they acquired those companies were sorely mistaken. The cash just wasn't there... never was.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic