The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 AM

Default Anyone know how limited the limited editions are?

Anyone know roughly how many they make?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Whippersnapper

Best bet is to call Taylor. Other members have done so in the past to get this type of information, as it tends to come up frequently (search?).

In the past, it has been pretty varied, with the x14 series usually getting the most models made, easily in the hundreds. The x12 models usually get the least, many times with less than 100 produced.

A former thread on this topic with some numbers:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=181638

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 AM

I can tell you. That'd be $45 please.

Kidding. Taylor knows this and shares it regularly. In fact if you have Facebook you can even ask them on their wall and they'll reply to you!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Isn't it based on how many are ordered by dealers?
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossforgain View Post
Isn't it based on how many are ordered by dealers?
Not always. Sometimes it is determined by how much wood, of that type, is available. Taylor made a solid body from the center cut of a very exotic tree and I believe there were less than 50 made. They were also very expensive and came with a beautifully created book that showed the tree from a sapling planted in someones front yard. They photographed their daughter with the tree througout her life and well into adulthood.

Many of the limiteds acoustic limiteds are produced with wood that is a lower grade. My 814ce is a perfect example. It is Brazilian but it is not straight grain nor is it highly figured. The Brazilian is probably stump wood. However, in 2003 I paid slightly more than a standard 814ce for it. It wasn't the more substantial upcharge for Brazilian.

KOA is another example. There is exquisite KOA and there is average KOA. If you do a BTO and ask for the high end KOA ;you will get a beautiful set of KOA. The Limited editions get the KOA of a lesser grade. By doing this you can purchase a more upscale Taylor at a reasonable price.

Taylor purchases wood by the log. I had the opportunity to spend a few minutes with Bob Taylor in his office a couple of years ago. I commented about the amount of KOA that was in the drying sheds. I was told by Bob what they had just spent on one 5' diameter X 16' log of KOA. I don't want to repeat the cost however, you could have purchased Mercedes 500 sedan and had enough left over to buy gas for a year. At those prices every usable piece of KOA will find it's way into a guitar.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Accordng to several dealers that I deal with limiteds numbers are in fact build to order, no dealer orders, no guitars. Obviously with models using a rare wood there might be other limitations but there has been nothing built by Taylor this year with anything they don't have plenty of.

As far as finding out the exact numbers, forget it, Taylor likes to keep actul numbers close to the vest, and that includes standard models. The new serial number was designed to do just that, hide date of manufacture and/or the number of gutars built. As an example I was thinking of buying a 12 fret koa over the summer and contacted Taylor about the number built several times but each time I got a different answer. Could be 65, could be 200. This is why Martin limiteds hold their value and Taylor limiteds don't.

$45 please.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilstev View Post
Accordng to several dealers that I deal with limiteds numbers are in fact build to order, no dealer orders, no guitars. Obviously with models using a rare wood there might be other limitations but there has been nothing built by Taylor this year with anything they don't have plenty of.

As far as finding out the exact numbers, forget it, Taylor likes to keep actul numbers close to the vest, and that includes standard models. The new serial number was designed to do just that, hide date of manufacture and/or the number of gutars built. As an example I was thinking of buying a 12 fret koa over the summer and contacted Taylor about the number built several times but each time I got a different answer. Could be 65, could be 200. This is why Martin limiteds hold their value and Taylor limiteds don't.

$45 please.
Oh. So that's how it works. I always thought you could just call and ask about a serial number to get that info.

Last edited by Chalz; 10-12-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
strummin' an x12

Quote:

As far as finding out the exact numbers, forget it, Taylor likes to keep actual numbers close to the vest, and that includes standard models.
Perhaps there are exceptions, or at least used to be? I called Taylor CS about my guitar, a 2004 512ce-L30, soon after I received it in early '05. The person I talked to was entirely forthcoming (as far as I know?), telling me that Taylor produced 21 of this model, ie, 21 grand concert L30s in the 500 series. I think I asked about the quantities of some of the other models and received answers, but didn't record the numbers-- I was only truly interested in how many of mine were produced.

Again, maybe Taylor has changed its perspective/policy on releasing numbers in recent years; the new, more obscure numbering system would seem to support this. If so, knowing that ahead of time can save some of us a dead-end phone call to Taylor.

But not $45; it's as important to know when not to call, as when to.

~ S.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM

I made a similar inquiry to Taylor CS a while ago about my 614CE-L3 (2003 LTD). They told me there were 88 of these made. One of the distinguishing features of this one is the vivid flame (fiddle-back) maple used for the sides and back. I wouldn't be surprised if supplies of this wood were limited, thus the relatively small number made.

Ed
Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

deletepost

Last edited by michaelw; 02-04-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM

As I said in my first response......... Many times the number of guitars in a limited edition are limited by the wood that is available to build with.

Case in point. Look at the back page of the current Wood & Steel magazine (Fall 2010). Taylor just built 10 Rosewood Reserve guitars. 5 Grand Concerts and 5 Grand Auditoriums. They even list the dealers that purchased them.

Is that "Limited" enough for you?
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 10-15-2010, 05:25 AM

If the woods used for a limited run are from standard, plentiful stocks, then the number made may be based on demand but if special wood is being used the number can be limited to as few as 10 as is the case with the figured Indian rosewood guitars featured on the back cover of the current Wood & Steal (5 grand concert and 5 grand auditorium).

Quote:
... As far as finding out the exact numbers, forget it, Taylor likes to keep actul numbers close to the vest, and that includes standard models.
Since the above directly contradicts my experience, it seems to be but cynical conjecture. I have, at different times, called Taylor to ask about several of my guitars and Taylor was always forthcoming. Of one model I have, less than 30 guitars were made, I've forgotten the exact number. Of another, 23 were made.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:

As far as finding out the exact numbers, forget it, Taylor likes to keep actul numbers close to the vest.
I have not found this to be true at all. Several times, on Taylor's Facebook page, someone has asked how many of a particular Ltd model were manufactured -- and Taylor has always been forthcoming with the answer.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

They're limited. However, the whole Taylor LTD thing reminds me of the proverbial "Once in a Lifetime Semi-Annual Event".

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Default 2009 712celtd

I just purchased a (barely used) 2009 712ce Spring Limited for my wife. Beautiful guitar in every way. I called the Taylor toll-free number to find out how many were made and in less than two minutes was told there were only 48 produced. The people at Taylor were very helpful and forthcoming about info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion