The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Default How to Choose Guitar Strings?

I have been playing a Rogue RA-100D Dreadnought Acoustic with stock strings for a while, and I am wondering what kind of D'Addario strings should I buy to replace them. Thanks, guys.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 PM

I would say that though you can narrow it down by stated sounds and playability to obtain "the best" strings for you, the best way is to try different gauges/brands and see which appeal to your playing/tone/feel preferences. Its not exactly the cheapest way to go but ya gotta buy them anyway, might as well try to find the right set for you instead of playing the same set that's not.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Eric Skye

Welcome to the forum

To start, I would try to figure out what size (gauge) strings your guitar came with. If you get a smaller or larger gauge string that will decrease or increase the amount of the tension on the neck, and likely change the distance between the frets and strings (action).

D'Addario EJ strings are an industry standard. Phosphor bronze are my own favs, but a lot of people like 80/20’s. Just differently metals, with slightly different tones, slightly different tensions.

80/20’s are slightly easier to play, while Phosphor bronze (PB’s) have slightly more volume.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 AM

I've tried most brands over the years. D'addario are the ones I kept coming back to, and I use them pretty much exclusively nowadays. 80/20 are a bit brighter than PB, a bit cheaper but don't seem to last as long. PB's are my weapon of choice. Good value too when you buy in bulk.

Martin HD28
Martin 000-17 custom
Atkin '0' Retrospective
Yamaha FG720S (6 & 12 strings)

"Any problem that can't be solved with a good guitar either isn't a problem, or is unsolvable"
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I have been playing a Rogue RA-100D Dreadnought Acoustic with stock strings for a while, and I am wondering what kind of D'Addario strings should I buy to replace them. Thanks, guys.
Hi Godrdon...
First the important thing - hello and welcome to the group! We are glad you joined.

The original strings on the RA-100D are 80/20 bronze, which start off really bright and die off rather rapidly. A good replacement is to try the phosphor bronze - and D'Addario phosphor bronze are great strings. The originals on those guitars are .012 or ''light'' gauge strings. I'd recommend staying with the light gauge strings.

The phosphor bronze will sound a bit more lush, and will last about the same length of time.

Your guitar has laminate sides/back and top, and I've had a number of students and friends who have used them over the years, and they tend to like the sound of the phosphor bronze better than the 80/20 strings.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 AM

why daddarios get elixir PB's
Castillo 3/4th Size Nylon
Epiphone DR-212 Twelve String Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion