The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Pod XT Live or Vox Tonelab LE or Other?

So I find myself venturing into electric land once again (primarily for use at our church as I'm helping with the youth band these days).

Anyways, picked up a humble soap bar used on eBay the other day & now I need something to plug into. I'll readily admit I get frustrated with billions of buttons & knobs - I'm more of a "plug and play" kind of guy than a "tweaker".

That said though, I'm leaning towards either a Pod XT Live or a Vox Tonelab LE. I'm drawn to the Pod due to its solid reputation. I'm drawn to the Tonelab as it looks to be slightly less complex and the fact that it's got a tube pre. The Vox AD50VT has also caught my eye - simpler to use, but harder to lug around.

So, I need some amount of versatility. Think of sounds you'd hear from U2, Chris Tomlin, Third Day, maybe Mark Knopfler. Obviously some delay effects with some of that, but otherwise not a huge need for strange space like effects, hard core metal sounds, etc. I'll use the unit live (nice house PA in the venue). I don't foresee recording.

Anyone got any advice, experience, points of comparison, etc. to share about these (or similar) products out there? Trying to stay under the $500 mark if I can.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Me

Trey,
I own the Pod XT. I find that it is pretty easy to learn and use. It is probably way more than you or I need, but I didn't have the time or desire to figure out which individual peddles I needed. It is very versatile.
The acoustic setting isn't too bead either. It makes my strat sound like a decent acoustic.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 PM

+1 for Pod XT. I have found the unit to be very easy to use and you get a lot of bang for your buck.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM

I've been looking at getting a Digitech RP250, half the price of those Pods. What does spending twice the money get you? Is the sound really better?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I've been looking at getting a Digitech RP250, half the price of those Pods. What does spending twice the money get you? Is the sound really better?
I've never used the Digitech RP250 but I think it will come down to the fidelity of the amp and effect simulation. Also, it's not hard to find a used Pod XT for under $200, that's the route I went. I've never used the latest version, the Pod X3 but I know that the Pod XT is more than enough.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM

People are saying the DigiTech RP500 is really, really sweet. I was reading that this is DigiTech's best floor processor yet and it is built extremely well. The YouTube clips of the unit (by all different people) seem to confirm it is easy to use and sounds nice.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM

I have the POD X3 Live. What's cool as opposed the gismo it replaced (the BOSS GS 10 guitar effects processor) is the free availability of thousands of uploaded POD settings by users from the Line6 web site. The BOSS GS 10 however was a much better interace--the software for POD XT or X3 is called "Gearbox" and it takes some real effort to figure out because not all tools are arranged on the screen.

Using the X3 Live without the computer has a learning curve too. IMO it has so much functionality that one kinda needs some orientation to audio engineering to have a clue what some things do--simply listening doesn't always give you the key to understanding the intention of the design of the feature. Other than that it's a splendid toy--the only other caveat is that one must be sure to not plug the X# Live or assumedly other POD products into a different electric current source than the computer and/or amp. I had noise out the wazoo and went through great tribulation and trips to GC and Sam Ash for help before I found that current sources--sockets in the same home no less--matter.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Give a look to the Yamaha DG Stomp (not "Magicstomp"). They are ridiculously cheap on ebay ($100), have a simpler interface than the POD, and sound great. I have compared them head to head with the POD 2.0 in my home, and I prefer the sound of the Stomp (mainly b/c it has a killer Vox AC15 amp model). The POD does have better heavy metal sounds, and also I will freely admit that the Marshall amp model is superior on the POD, but overall I prefer the Stomp for mainstream worship sounds. With your budget, get a good OD pedal to push it, and you're good to go!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 AM

I have the GNX4, GNX3000, POD XTLive, Vamps, and the Tonelab.

Several years ago I wrote up a summary of their good and bad points:

http://thewoodshop.20m.com/digitech_gnx4.htm
(Look for the Comparision Table)

The Tonelab is often overlooked, which is too bad. Here are the tonelab remarks from my web site:
----------------------
Tonelab Comments: The Tonelab's claim to fame is its 12AX7 tube and transformer simulation logic. It's clean amps are outstanding. Warm with clarity, color, and push. The Tonelab offers perhaps the best clean amps available in an amp modeler.

The British and Boutique HiGain amps are very good. The other HiGain amps are bit too glassy and I have been unable to tweak them for the better. A few of the cabinets are outstanding. One trick is to run the Tonelab through a Behringer DI box and use the DI's speaker simulation rather than a Tonelab cabinet. It works. (Boss GT-8 users have done the same.)

The quality of the effects is very good. The Tonelab offers a richness of sound that is difficult to acheive with other modelers I have used. Plus, the Tonelab is a very simple to use. One knob for amps. One knob for cabinets. Basic amp controls. Simple and it works.

Stock presets are good and they may be overwritten with your custom tweaks. I have a few patches on the Tonelab that I have not been able to match on the other boxes. The Tonelab makes for a great studio, desktop amp modeler, but because of its simplicity and good live sound, would serve well in an effects rack for live performances.
-----------------

However, if you plan to also use the MFX box for acoustic as well as electrics, I would lean to the POD XTL. I use it tons for acoustics (steel and nylon).

I rarely use the GNXs these days. I find the POD sounds more to my liking and the POD and Tonelab are much easier to use, especially live.

Jack

http://thewoodshop.20m.com
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM

It's a tough call cause I personally feel as though the multi-effects with amp sim units like the vox or pod products are meant for the tweakers and have the versatility that allows the user to shape their tone exactly the way they want it. It's gonna be hard to find a unit with pre-sets that sound exactly the way you want, and what sounds good to you will sound terrible to another person and vice versa.

There's always to conventional pedal route. That's as plug and play as it gets. If you don't want to lug an amp around I use my pocket pod as an amp and I've gotten good results.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 09-24-2008, 08:14 AM

I second the DG Stomp. After all these years with mine, I still love the tones I get from it.

I'll also throw the Zoom G series pedals in the mix. The g9.2tt is quite versatile, yet still pretty easy to set up patches to your liking. It has two preamp tubes and has a pretty organic sound. I love the Marshall, Vox, and Roland JC patches on mine. I'm using mine in a worship setting, FYI.

Larrivee LV-09BW
Gibson J-15
Martin Custom D Rosewood
Eastman E10SS
Washburn Solo DeLuxe RSG100
Enya X4 Pro Carbon Fiber
Guild Aristocrat M-75
Reverend Jetstream FM-HB
Ibanez AS103
Ibanez AFJ95
Songbird Warbler Hammered Dulcimer
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Having owned both a PODxt & x3L, I would suggest a x3L. I had to return mine due to faulty switches (a problem that I hear now has been fixed) and ended up buying a used xt on eBay. I don't have the funds for an x3L or I would get one. The xt sounds pretty good, but the x3 just has a more "natural" sound to it. Without getting too detailed, it just sounded more "real"

also, the interface on the x3 is sooo much easier to use. (IMHO) It would be great for church use. When I get the funds, I'll get an x3 again and keep the xt as a backup. Either one is good, but I'd get the live (floor) version of whichever. I bought the "bean" of the xt and their big floor board. While the floor board is awesome, it makes for a mess on stage. I miss just have XLR outs on the x3L.

I will also say that with either a Line6 or the Vox or the Boss, you're gonna have to invest some time tweaking. I really wish their was just an amp modeler and that's it. I'd rather use pedals for simplicity. I find myself spending too much time dialing stuff in. But the good thing is that once you've got it you can save it But in my church situation, the trade-offs are worth it to me though. No stage volume, easy patch switching & decent tone.

Good luck!

Ibanez JS1
Ibanez jS10 Chrome Boy
Epiphone 335 Royale
Fernandes late 80's strat
1990 MIM Tele
Taylor Big Baby
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Cocobologist

I would put a vote in for the Boss GT-10. OUTSTANDING amp modeling (Much better than previous GT8, GT6, etc), all the great Boss effects, more than enough presets. They cleaned up the control panel, with far fewer knobs than the GT-8.

The "EZ Tone" is a breeze to get exactly what you want -- select the pickup type, the music style, then move the marker around a grid to get the distorion level and effects level you're looking for. Also includes basic looper. If you want to download someone else's presets, go to www.bossgtcentral.com -- Plenty there. Full USB connectivity allows you to direct connect to your PC for recording, and up/downloading presets.

One last thing -- Unlike the Pod X3, the Boss GT10 is built like a ROCK, and will withstand the bumps and bruises of live use a lot better than the plastic shell of the Pod...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

Last edited by Gutch; 09-24-2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: corrected url
Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I don't think there is a sound quality difference between the RP250 and a POD. The biggest difference is that the POD has more features, more amp models and more effects models. The RP500 would be the closest comparison to the POD since it has a similar amount of features; it is also about the same price. The RP250 and the RP500 use the same chip, so there should not be any difference in sound quality. The RP250 is a great value for someone that doesn't need all the features of the POD and RP500 and it has a smaller footprint.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250
Old 09-24-2008, 08:55 PM

+1 for the GT-10. I have one, and also the GS-10 (fantastic editor) and PodXT. I like all three, but the GT-10 is extraordinary.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
I would put a vote in for the Boss GT-10. OUTSTANDING amp modeling (Much better than previous GT8, GT6, etc), all the great Boss effects, more than enough presets. They cleaned up the control panel, with far fewer knobs than the GT-8.

The "EZ Tone" is a breeze to get exactly what you want -- select the pickup type, the music style, then move the marker around a grid to get the distorion level and effects level you're looking for. Also includes basic looper. If you want to download someone else's presets, go to www.bossgtcentral.com -- Plenty there. Full USB connectivity allows you to direct connect to your PC for recording, and up/downloading presets.

One last thing -- Unlike the Pod X3, the Boss GT10 is built like a ROCK, and will withstand the bumps and bruises of live use a lot better than the plastic shell of the Pod...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification