The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-08-2023, 02:11 PM

Location: Originally from San Francisco, CA. Moved to Connecticut in 1980 and retired to Simpsonville, SC in 2010.
Smile Udemy as a learning source?

I just turned 80 and have always had a desire to learn the guitar. I'v toyed with learning and playing over the years but have never really put the time in or got serious. But now I have pleanty of time on my hands and the thought of playing a guitar appeals to me. I'm new to guitar and trying to find the best method of studying beginner's acoustic guitar. I've seen a lot of material on Youtube that I find interesting. I've also seen courses offered by Udemy.com, often at discounted prices. Do any of you have opinions re: learning guitar? I have 2 acoustic guitars and would like to play them. I value anyone's opinion. Thank you,paljoee.
Old 08-08-2023, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I've used Udemy for learning graphics programs like Adobe X and it was pretty good. For anything, like guitar, it depends on who's teaching it and I'm not sure how closely Udemy keeps track of the quality of their instructors. I would recommend you start with a teacher you can work with in person.
Eastman T59 V A
Tele Partscaster
84' Japanese Fender Strat
Old 08-08-2023, 04:16 PM

Hi paljoee,

I enjoyed the beginner guitar course at Peghead Nation a few years ago. It's a $20/month subscription, so you only pay for it as long as you find it useful. They also have excellent more advanced courses for when you are ready.

The materials from Jamie Andreas are also excellent. Focused not so much on the musical, as the physical and mental aspects of learning to play guitar (meaning, "how can I get my fingers to do the right thing at the right time?"). Combined with the Peghead Nation beginner course, it is a great way to start.
Old 08-08-2023, 04:25 PM

I know nothing about udemy, but the best online source for guitar lessons - by general acclaim - is justin sandercoe: https://www.justinguitar.com/
There is enough free stuff there to keep you going for a while, and to decide whether you want to pay for any more detail.

There are also countless youtube lessons but, of course, very mixed in quality and appeal. (If it's classical guitar you want, you're on safer ground, simply because of the long-established pedagogy.)

Obviously the best thing is a one-on-one teacher, if you can find/afford one - because however good online lessons are, nobody can see and hear what you are doing, and what you might be doing wrong. Even so, given the motivation and the ability to enjoy even the simplest sounds you can make, you can get a long way with self-teaching.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write