The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Two Questions for 814ce Owners

Looking for your own experience and insight here.

1. Will changing the stock Tusq saddle to a Colosi saddle actually improve the sound of this guitar? I have a West African ivory saddle from BC available for this change. I did the same update on my GS Mini Hog and I believe I heard a slight improvement in the sound the guitar gives back to me (and I also changed the plastic bridge pins to bone pins with ebony inlays so even if the sound really did not change, the update is very nice looking).

2. I'm using the light Elixir strings recommended by Taylor. Have you tried another brand that you believe improved the sound of the guitar? For fun, I'd like to try different string sets but before deciding on what to try, I felt actual experience would be valuable in coming up with a list.

Love my guitars, they call to me to come play every time I walk past them.

Last edited by SprintBob; 12-10-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM

I've had two. A 2003 and a 2007. I found both benefited from Bob's saddles. Not a night and day thing by any means, but slightly more sustain, bass and string to string note separation. Strummed chords were less "blurred" is the best way to explain it.

I went through a string brand adventure and finally ended up with Elixir Light Phosphor Bronze as my string of choice rather than the 80/20s it comes with.

Enjoy! It's a great guitar.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM

I had success with WAHI on 2 different EIR guitars. I also switched to DR Sunbeam strings. Be sure to record before and after to keep a record of the changes.
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 12-10-2013, 09:55 AM

I have a Colosi FWI on mine and feel it improved bass a bit as well as becoming more articulate across all strings. It is a subtle difference but noticeable for sure to my ears and as long as saddle is fitted properly.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM

I like Martin's standard PB strings either light or medium-light.
I think they're a bit warmer than the D'Addario EJ 16's.

Another suggestion is DR Rare PB's
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkout52 View Post
I had success with WAHI on 2 different EIR guitars. I also switched to DR Sunbeam strings. Be sure to record before and after to keep a record of the changes.
Sorry for the ignorance but does WAHI refer to West African ivory? I don't know what you referring to with EIR.

Thanks!!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Default Two Questions for 814ce Owners

I have an '06 model that I changed the saddle to bone on. Not a Colosi saddle, just one from my local guy. I did the nut at the same time, but I'm sure the majority of the difference I hear is from the saddle.
The guitar seems to be more articulate and just has a more mature tone post upgrade.
For strings, I played around with a few different sets but ended up back with Elixir PBs in medium gauge.
I absolutely love this guitar and have yet to find its equal for my tastes.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Hi Bob. A bone saddle may or may not improve the tone. I've read different comments where most people prefer the bone but some have preferred the stock tusq.

As far as strings, try some non-coated strings like some John Pearse. Inexpensive, easy experiment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion