The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-03-2017, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Editing and eq review - Shooting Star

I recorded half of Masaaki Kishibe's "Shooting Star" in 4 sections, spliced them together and cut the bass with Eq. I've noticed that my recordings show up with more bass on Soundcloud than I prefer for some reason.

It isn't a clean recording, there is some rustling and a bit of breathing now and then as I'm just working on the right places to start and stop and then the eq of the tune as a whole as I'm new to this splicing technique. (You might hear the Hallmark channel in the background too if you listen really well, lol.)

I've mentioned in the past that if I can get decent at this it will open up a lot more songs for me to practice and record. I'm finding recording 3 and a half to four pages using this process takes less time than trying to record a 2 page song without any mistakes (or even minimal mistakes). There's no tension, no red light fever. To record I broke down the song to one small section, a 3/4 page section and a couple of approximately 1 page sections.

The days of 10 to 15 "takes" are over, thankfully. I may not be able to play 2-3 full pages without tripping up or breathing too loud, but I can kick the heck out of 3/4 of a page, (and hold my breath too)

I fit the pieces as best I could at the normal zoom level then I saw the magnifying glass icon in Audition and bingo, the light went off in my head and I was able to fine tune my "patches" better. Like anything else this is a learning process that will get better over time. This is my second attempt at a "patch" tune and with the magnifying tool things can only get better from here. Anyway, here's the unfinished product, a work in progress. It's played using my Seagull folk. The final recording will be with my Larrivee.

This was a 45 minute to an hour process. I'm wondering if I could make it even more relaxing and just record a few sections in a session doing each section a few times and then a few more the next day and then pick the best of the bunch and throw them together to see what happens. An experiment for another day.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 12-03-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Grammar, spelling
Old 12-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Hi Barry, nice job! In a couple of spots I could hear a very faint "pop" where the splice went in.....but beyond that, could not discern anything. (listening with pretty good headphones).
Seems like a good path for you! I'm still stuck in the 10-15 takes territory!
Um, sometimes more than that! LOL!
Good to hear your progress!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Barry, nice job! In a couple of spots I could hear a very faint "pop" where the splice went in.....but beyond that, could not discern anything. (listening with pretty good headphones).
Seems like a good path for you! I'm still stuck in the 10-15 takes territory!
Um, sometimes more than that! LOL!
Good to hear your progress!
Fred
Thanks Fred.

When I get to the final recording I'll pay more attention to those little popping sounds. It wouldn't hurt to practice splicing. I saved the 4 parts I recorded for this thread so I can practice with those.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell