The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Default Few tips as a beginner

Hello, I am new to both this forum and playing the guitar.

I would like to learn Dreaming by Blondie and have found a version suitable for a novice on guitaretab.com . Its basically D, G, A and Bm and I am looking to play the first two verses and chorus.

A link to what I am trying to learn:

http://www.guitaretab.com/b/blondie/382292.html

Having issues with Bm so I have found a beginners equivalent using 3 fingers which doesnt sound right and searched for an alternative which is Bm7 again I dont think it sounds right.

I have pretty much mastered the chorus and first two lines of the first two verses getting better by the day with changing chords.

There is no strumming pattern, again happy with the chorus and first lines of the first two verses but not so sure about the second two lines.

Any tips or experience would be grateful

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM

What helped me tremendously with barre chords was learning the open chords without my first finger. It also helps with transitions up the neck. Once your muscle memory remembers those shapes a barre chord is nothing more than planting your first finger down which is free anyway
Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight
Old 09-14-2017, 09:23 AM

This shape-- x 2 4 4 3 x gives you all the necessary notes of a Bm, but no barre. You'll miss that top F#, though.

Keep at it. Barre chords are one of those things...almost nobody can do them at first, and then, after time, almost everybody can.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 AM

No problem- also worth noting

Make sure to practice your actual barre. Forget the other 3 notes and plant your finger to act as a capo. Do not be satisfied until all 6 notes are played clean. Doing this will allow you to find the position that works for you and you'll be able to add your notes in accordingly. When doing this, I would suggest slowly picking or plucking each note individually. What you're doing here is training your brain to remember shapes.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

You're probably having a tough time making a smooth transition from the A chord to the Bm.
For practice, you could try to cover all three strings of the A chord with the tip of your index finger, lifting the back of it enough to make sure that the open E is not muted, and then laying the fingers down for the Bm chord.
I tried to make a short video clip of what I mean:

I'm just thinking that it might make it easier for you, but of course, if you're just starting out, this will take some time. As mentioned, barre chords are a necessary evil. Might as well jump in now!
Just be patient, and don't get overly frustrated. It takes time.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

1. play the Bm x-2-4-4-3-2 (you really only need index finger pressure on the 1st and 5th strings)

2. possibly finger the A chord 4-3-2 strings with fingers ring, pinky, and second fingers respectively (you can "slide" right up to the Bm chord)

3. going up the the Bm barre look right at where the index fingertip is going to go (second fret fifth string) - helps

4. leave A chord a bit early to have more time to form Bm chord

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 AM

https://www.jamplay.com/tools/guitar...d/2-b/92-minor

Some variations for you.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithers25 View Post
Hello, I am new to both this forum and playing the guitar.

I would like to learn Dreaming by Blondie and have found a version suitable for a novice on guitaretab.com . Its basically D, G, A and Bm and I am looking to play the first two verses and chorus.

A link to what I am trying to learn:

http://www.guitaretab.com/b/blondie/382292.html

Having issues with Bm so I have found a beginners equivalent using 3 fingers which doesnt sound right and searched for an alternative which is Bm7 again I dont think it sounds right.

I have pretty much mastered the chorus and first two lines of the first two verses getting better by the day with changing chords.

There is no strumming pattern, again happy with the chorus and first lines of the first two verses but not so sure about the second two lines.

Any tips or experience would be grateful

Thanks
I'd go with Jeff and suggest x-2-4-4-3-x (index-ring-pinky-middle).
The issue is muting the outer two strings (if strumming the chord).
If you can get your thumb over the top of the neck, you can touch the 6th with that, but I'd recommend keeping the thumb on the back, and flattening the index so that the tip touches the side of 6th while fretting the 5th. If you can flatten it just a little more so it touches the 1st to mute it, that's ideal.
You're still only fretting one string with each finger, but that position sets you up for practising the barre - which just means lowering the index so it frets the 1st string (on fret 2), not muting it.
Until you can get the barre, the middle 4 work fine - provided you don't let the outer strings ring.
(TBH, it can sound quite nice to let the open 1st string ring, but probably not the 6th. It would be something other than plain Bm in either case.)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone, great advice and appreciate you all taking the time to respond and a video too. Practise begins.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM

As you learn more songs you'll find many uses for barre chords and Bm. I'd suggest that you learn a standard barre version, rather than a shortcut. Practice, be patient, and have fun.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

For years as a kid I just played x x 4 4 3 2 for bm and called it a day.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
For years as a kid I just played x x 4 4 3 2 for bm and called it a day.
How did you mute 5 and 6, or did you just avoid them?
(same question for the x x 3 2 1 1 F shape )
Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
How did you mute 5 and 6, or did you just avoid them?
(same question for the x x 3 2 1 1 F shape )
I noticed you saying in another thread too that you thought you needed the thumb over (for a D over there). Is it really so hard to strum the strings you want? There's no way I can put a thumb over, so I wonder what I'm missing.

Bm is a good first barre, imo. I, too, suggest, you just stick with it a bit longer. You'll have it soon enough and it'll open the door to all the others.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Hi.

My two peneth - which you will here from many of the experienced guys on here - and I have experienced first hand . . .

Do not underistimate the benfits of getting the guitar well set up!

Let me explain.
I bought my guitar new.
The guitar was set up and played nice and from my limited experience thought it was okay.
Along the way I have been getting into barre chords - not too bad with a bit of fiddling and building on speed.
Struggling for clean Bm, A, but not bad.

Chatting to the guy in the shop, told him this, he said bring it in (was in the car)
He worked on it - which he did for free - benefit of buying local.
I tried it . . Booom . .
Nice

So much easier.
Can get a clean barre chord . . . relatively easy now.
Now working on speed.

He showed me where it had moved a bit since buying from him, what he was doing, how it was afterwards.
A very useful learning experience.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
beginner chords novice