The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 AM

Default Fingerstyle Playing Technique

Hey guys, I don't post much on here as im usually too busy playing! I am a self-taught fingerstyle player been playing on and off for years now. I always wonder about my technique, I've watched tutorials online and seem to play songs to a fairly good standard however I have a few questions. At the moment I am learning the fingerstyle version of "fly me to the moon" arranged by Bart Howard. In this piece I tend to let my thumb roll down the strings as I play the chords and will also use my thumb and fingers for the chords which are not on the corresponding strings (if that makes sense!). Is this considered bad technique? It sounds fine to me but I wonder if I could do with some lessons.. If you could give your input into how you would play it with the right hand i would kindly appreciate it. Here is the link http://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/bart-...-tab-s388988t0
Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 AM

In that first chord in bar 1 there are 5 notes. Using your thumb to strum across all five strings seems to be your only option although as there is no glissando sign, as there is in bar 5, the strum should not be drawn out. The two chords in bar 2 could be picked the same way or with your thumb on the lowest note and a finger on each of the other three strings. If you don't use three fingers you are stuck with the first option.

The first chord in bar 6 has a 'separated' chord which I would pick with my thumb and two fingers but it could be played with thumb only if the fifth string is muted.

The whole point of the exercise is to make musical sounds. I would not bother to criticise any technique if the resulting sound is musical.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 AM

Thank you very much Stanron for clearing that up! I try not to get too caught up with technique, as making a good sound is more important to me but it helps to know how others would play it . Just to clarify what exactly is a glissando? I looked it up and I believe it is where you slide across to another note?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 AM

Sorry, you are right. I should have said arpeggio or arpeggiated chord sign. This is usually a vertical wavy line, sometimes with an arrow showing direction. It means the chord is strummed slowly.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 AM

No worries I was just curious, thank you for the help I appreciate it
Old 07-23-2015, 05:18 PM

As a classical player I might also use i,m,a on the trebles and strum however many bass strings needed with the thumb at the same time. With some practice this becomes pretty easy and sounds very crisp. For ex. A D chord would be pima,
a C chord would be ppima and a G would be pppima.

Chris
Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 PM

What about rolling the chord? Thumb strums the lower strings and fingers roll over the higher strings.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

For the five note chord if you are able to use your pinky then use it with the thumb and the other three fingers to play all the notes at the same time. Otherwise use a quick strum with the thumb.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-24-2015 at 12:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write