The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 PM

I'm inclined to agree with those who've suggested the scale length has more to do with crowding the neck than the nut width. I have 2 x 1 11/16" guitars & one 1 3/4" (All full scale length i.e.25.4") & have no trouble transitioning between them, to be honest I can barely notice the difference, no doubt others are more sensitive to it.

I've played quite a few GS Minis & think they're a fantastic guitar with a bold output relative to their size although I get tired of the tight spacing between the frets quite quickly. Smaller ones again with the 22.5" scale like the Baby Taylor, Crafter TRs, Mini Matons, Little Martins etc. are just way too cramped for me.

My sister got a Walden T550 not long back, still with the 1 11/16" nut width but at 24" scale, just that extra bit longer to make it comfortable to play. They're cheap but may need a setup as hers did (issues with relief & string height at nut). It's compact & light as a feather, sounds good too for the price.

You may be better off with a full scale or at the least 24.9" guitar with a small lightweight body like a used Martin 00/000 or a new imported copy.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Charter Member

some +1 and some -1 on the mini...my take: http://youtu.be/aUXVmKHHi5A

I also recommend the Alvarez AP70: http://youtu.be/KgH0nonmemM
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 AM

Hi Eric. If you could choose only one, which do you choose? GS Mini or AP70?
Ian
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 AM

The neck width is the reason I sold my GS Mini and my 214. Loved the quality, sound and playability.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
Hi Eric. If you could choose only one, which do you choose? GS Mini or AP70?
Ian
Ian the only GS mini I liked (and bought for my ex) was the hogtop (I don't care for the spruce top version) as you know and it sounds wonderful. I can feel it resonate against me...BUT the AP70 plays much better due to the nut width and string spacing and it too sounds lovely. Alvarez has always imho made great playing necks. Looks wise the hogtop has its mojo yet so does the AP's vintage look except for that bridge. If it had a pyramid bridge and a paddle headstock it would clearly be the winner for me. The slothead looks cool but I don't like string changes on them; they are a pain...but the AP is almost 100 bucks cheaper street price here in my town and consistently better looking wood wise. I have seen a bunch of hogtops and several of them even tho sounding good have had not so nice looking tops. Aaahh this is hard for me to answer buddy!

Blindfolded and just playing off the shelf it would be the AP70 I guess...BUT the particular GS mini hogtop I bought plus the mods I made on it make it a special guitar. It has an exceptional looking top on it in both wood grain and color. Geez don't take me shopping anymore!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:00 AM

Hi Eric
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the AP70 but not been able to play one. They do get very good reviews. The only thing that puts me off is the fact that I already have one guitar with a slotted headstock. That plus the fact that I really do fancy getting a GS Mini Mahogany, and as you know, would already have one if the one I ordered hadn't been cracked. I think I can handle the narrower neck and shorter scale as I play mainly open chords at the first fret.
As you say though, difficult decisions my friend
Hope youre well and have a great weekend
Ian
Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

+1 Ian...you made the right choice. I'm anxious for you to get your mini hog!
Have wonderful weekend too buddy.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Talking

New stock due on Monday/Tuesday. So this time next week my new GS Mini Hog should be in my hands!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
New stock due on Monday/Tuesday. So this time next week my new GS Mini Hog should be in my hands!
Congratulations! Several friends have fallen in love after playing mine and had to get one. Enjoy!
Old 08-24-2013, 08:03 AM

Thanks Growler. Looking forward to getting it
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM

I wouldn't get a GS Mini as a primary guitar. I want one right now, but I already own a 110ce which is my primary (and only) acoustic. It would become the little 'take everywhere and anywhere' guitar that plays and sounds great. Heck, I'd even consider gigging with it.

+1 to the S6. I didn't get along with it sound-wise and nut width wise, but others might. For me personally, the 1 3/4" nut width is ideal, but don't mind the 1 11/16" nut widths either.

Apparently Crafter and Recording King have guitars in that price range with wide nuts also.

---

Oops, just read the second page. Congrats! I need to get me a GS Mini, seriously.

Happy playing.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:23 AM

The Takamine New Yorker is a pretty terrific parlor sized guitar. It's a little larger than a GS Mini but not much. It's a great looking guitar, too. Perfect for playing on the couch or travelling.

EDIT: I didn't read the thread to the end! Sorry! Congrats on the GS Mini! There's a hog on my wish list.

Ukuleles:
Concert KoAloha
Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Lideruke - sorry for the confusion. Think it's me getting the GS Mini Hog. But I didn't start this thread. So think the OP is still looking
Old 08-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

The GS mini hog is definitely usable as a gigging instrument however I would use a Baggs pu instead of the mini system that is available. The Tak NY'r same thing; wonderful guitar too! Kenny Chesney used one that I wish I could get my hands on (forgot model no.) that was spruce/hog that has been discontinued before he designed his signature KC70 model which I have.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Hi OP here,

I found something interesting: the Washburn parlor series (R320SWR | R321SWR),
It seams to have some of the features of the GS Mini (Small size, lightweight) and is arround the same price, but this one has a 1 &7/8 nut and is all solid wood! It seams to good to be true, has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.washburn.com/products/acoustics/vintage/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gs mini, recommendation