The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which option would you choose (in my shoes)?
Larrivee P-03 ($1070) 61 56.48%
Taylor GS Mini ($768) 47 43.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwistinside View Post
...This may be a bit unrelated, but I just want to say how awesome it is to be able to converse with other musicians in English and to receive so much helpful advice and feedback from others...
I think that one of the strengths of the AGF is that we are becoming more and more international. Though we limit our conversation here to English, we have members from many locations around the world. To me, this makes this forum a more interesting place to hang out, even if a bit more complicated.

I say complicated because we tend to think in our own terms. For instance, here in the US, I would not likely want to have a guitar in only a gig bag go into an airplane's cargo hold. But then here, a GS Mini will often be allowed in the passenger compartment, perhaps even in an overhead bin which are usually big enough. That may not be true of passenger planes where you live.

That said, between the Larrivee Parlor and the Taylor GS Mini, you seem to prefer the Mini. That's fine by me. Because of what and how I play, I would probably choose the Larrivee, but that was not your question. You asked for help with your needs, not mine. Sounds to me as if you'd really enjoy the Mini. Good luck, and let us know which you choose, and why.

cotten
Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

I know that there are definitely better guitars out there, but I need something small with a 14-fret neck that's suitable for moderate strumming. The GS Mini seems to tick all of the boxes. I would love to own the Larrivee, but I'm not sure how suitable it would be for my playing style... and since I can't try it first, I'm hesitant to buy one. Many people seem to suggest that it's best suited to fingerstyle and will sound a bit boxy for my purposes.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

I like the tone and playability of the GS mini. I tried Larrivee parlors, like some said sounded a bit boxy to me.

You can get Voyage Air guitar online for a full size tone and better portability for a little less. Lots of love for the VAs here.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
I like the tone and playability of the GS mini. I tried Larrivee parlors, like some said sounded a bit boxy to me.

You can get Voyage Air guitar online for a full size tone and better portability for a little less. Lots of love for the VAs here.
To be honest, I really dislike the look of the Voyage Airs. Even though they're much more portable, I could never see myself wanting a guitar with a folding neck. I hear lots of great things about them, but they're just not for me.

In any event, I only have a local bank card and can't make purchases from U.S. stores, so I'm limited to what's available in China.

Since I haven't been able to compare them in person - does anyone know if there's a significant size difference between the GS Mini and a full-size OM? I know the specs ( body width,etc; ), but I just can't imagine what it would translate to in terms of feel and portability. I have ruled out the Larrivee, but I'm still stuck between the Taylor and a full-size Parkwood (520).

Last edited by TheTwistinside; 07-31-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM

I have played both, neither does it for me. With that budget, make sure you take a close look at the Eastman E10P... outstanding parlor, close equal to Martin 00-28VS
Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Hey Twist, I voted for the Taylor because you asked what I would do "in your shoes." I own a Koa Larrivee Parlour. I do not own a Taylor and chose the Parlour as a travel guitar over the Taylor years ago.

But the Larrivee has a wide neck. 1 3/4. Your reason for wanting a small guitar (as I understand it) is that you have some arthritis issues. If those issues affect your hands or wrists, the wide board is not for you.

And it sounds as if you will miss the two frets clear of the body. I don't, but I'm not in your shoes.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Since I haven't been able to compare them in person - does anyone know if there's a significant size difference between the GS Mini and a full-size OM? I know the specs ( body width,etc; ), but I just can't imagine what it would translate to in terms of feel and portability. I have ruled out the Larrivee, but I'm still stuck between the Taylor and a full-size Parkwood (520).
A full size OM will be, and feel, larger than the Mini. If you have access to the Taylor Big Baby use it for comparison. The Big Baby is about the size of an OM. The Mini is shorter in total length and narrower.

The Mini's gig bag, however, adds considerably to its traveling bulk. It's about the same width as the Big Baby bag, but the Mini bag is thicker by a couple of inches and between 3-4 inches shorter than the Big Baby bag. The Mini's bag is obviously much sturdier and better padded.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM

The GSmini is a good 3 or 4 inches shorter even than most parlor guitars and combined with it's lightness makes it extremely portable and playable. If arthritis is an issue I think you'll definitely appreciate the shorter scale and playability combined with the narrower nut. The hardbag is great too, very sturdy and easy to carry over your shoulder.

Personally I think the newer mahogany top has the best overall tone... you can find comparison videos on youtube.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyi5 View Post
The GSmini is a good 3 or 4 inches shorter even than most parlor guitars and combined with it's lightness makes it extremely portable and playable. If arthritis is an issue I think you'll definitely appreciate the shorter scale and playability combined with the narrower nut. The hardbag is great too, very sturdy and easy to carry over your shoulder.

Personally I think the newer mahogany top has the best overall tone... you can find comparison videos on youtube.
I'm surprised by how many people prefer the mahogany tops. To me, they lack the sparkling highs that I love spruce for. Mahogany topped acoustics sound too mid-rangey to me. It does sound nice, though. It's just not the sound I'm looking for. Granted, it is a smaller guitar and the mahogany is meant to subdue some of the brightness. Regardless, I'll always prefer spruce topped acoustics.

Thanks for the info. So I guess the GS Mini wouldn't really be much more convenient than carrying a full-size OM... well, apart from the weight and body length. The lower bout being over 14" makes it about the same width as a GC. I could still see myself getting it just for the quality and fun factor, though.

I should end my shopping soon. I could go on deciding forever, but it would be a lot more fun to be playing my new guitar and writing some new music! . I'll let everyone know what I end up choosing.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I haven't had a guitar in over two years . I've been playing quite a bit of ukulele in the meanwhile.
Well Twistininside...

Either is an upgrade then?

The Larrivee is more guitar...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Well Twistininside...

Either is an upgrade then?

The Larrivee is more guitar...

Do you think that it would suit my needs? I do strum pretty aggressively and very seldom do I finger pick. I also prefer slimmer nut widths, but for some reason, I can't stop thinking about the little Larrivee parlor.

As long as I use medium gauge strings and adjust the neck, I shouldn't get any buzzing - right? It's only a 24" scale, but I read somewhere that the tension w/ mediums is roughly the same as lights on a 25.5" scale.

I was mostly leaning towards the Taylor, but the poll results are overwhelming. The Larrivee must be pretty amazing.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Perhaps these links will help.

In this thread from 2010, it has a lot of responses from people who tried both.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=199139

Here is a thread from a different forum where the guy plays both guitars. So, it would probably give you a better comparison since it is the same guy playing and using the same recording equipment.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=1;t=030710

just figured I would add it in here

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you think that it would suit my needs? I do strum pretty aggressively and very seldom do I finger pick. I also prefer slimmer nut widths, but for some reason, I can't stop thinking about the little Larrivee parlor.

As long as I use medium gauge strings and adjust the neck, I shouldn't get any buzzing - right? It's only a 24" scale, but I read somewhere that the tension w/ mediums is roughly the same as lights on a 25.5" scale.

I was mostly leaning towards the Taylor, but the poll results are overwhelming. The Larrivee must be pretty amazing.
Have you played a Taylor GS mini? They are really pretty small bodied…

I'm not sure either will do what you are asking without you modifying your playing style.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Default GS Mini Hog

I've had a GS Mini Mahogany since the beginning of the year and each day I have it, the happier I am with the purchase. I've never played a Larivee Parlor, but I can say that the Hog top mini is a wonderful couch guitar and amazing for travel. I love the backpack and the ability to just leash up my dog and go on a walk with a guitar on my back that seems lighter than a laptop. Looking forward to seeing what you decide
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Have you played a Taylor GS mini? They are really pretty small bodied…

I'm not sure either will do what you are asking without you modifying your playing style.

Yep. The GS Mini that I played seemed fine for my playing style. No buzzing at all. Actually, I shouldn't say that I'm a HEAVY strummer - just a guy who strums a lot and doesn't hold back. I also strum from the wrist, though, so I'm not very rough.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I often am), but I assumed that w/ mediums the Larrivee and GS Mini would have roughly the same tension as a full-scale acoustic - making string buzz less of an issue.

I've never had problems with any of my full-size acoustics that I had in the past, but I found that I couldn't play a Taylor Baby w/o it buzzing like a bee. The real issue was the scale length and the inability to support heavier strings... even w/ a set-up, it was buzzing like mad. I suppose a higher saddle might have helped, but it would have also made it very uncomfortable to play.

I can't imagine why anyone would want a Taylor Baby unless it was just for fingerpicking. (just my opinion, it's not my intention to offend anyone).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
china, gs mini, p-03, travel