The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -unknown View Post
Thanks for replying. So judging on your comments its better to visit the store in Prague instead of Brno?
Both are great. Brno has larger stock.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 06-05-2015, 04:05 AM

Right, thanks for the information!

2010: Eastman AC320
2014: Alvarez ABT60
2017: Eastman AC822CE-FF Fanned Fret
Old 06-05-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -unknown View Post
Right, thanks for the information!
I bought a Furch OM35 SR from Stageshop in Budapest - a few weeks ago .These people have a long association with Furch and carry a large stock including several custom / one off models .
In my experience they are prompt , professional and knowledgeable and their in house luthier will look after you before , during and after the sale .
The guitar is beautiful , flawlessly constructed and seems to be enjoying being played .
They are right up there with the very best ... there is life beyond North American luthiery !

http://stageshop.hu/en/furch-om35-ac...l?currency=EUR
Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 PM

I've just bought a 2nd hand Stanford F1P, made by Furch. Ridiculously cheap and a wonderful guitar.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 AM

Default My Stonebridge D35 AR

My new Stonebridge (Furch) D35 AR is still posted on the stonebridgeguitars.com website under the Vintage Series tab.
I couldn't get the pictures to load directly.
It's an AMAZING instrument. Click on my user name to read all about it.

Get a Furch/Stonebridge guitar, you will not regret it!

- OD
Old 04-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Hello everybody,

first of all thanks a lot for your posts sharing your experiences and thoughts about Furch guitars and Huml Music in Prague. This helped me in making my choice and finally I did buy an amazing OM-35SR last last weekend.

For future potential buyers and for whom could be interested I will share my experience hoping it could be helpful for someone.

Why Furch?
I was after a Martin OM style (OM-28, EC or JM mainly) for quite a while, reading reviews, watching tons of YouTube Videos and reading post in Forums like this bus the price Point was an issue for me. Someone did a comparisson between the Martin and the Furch and this is how a got to know them. After watching "all" the YouTube Videos with Furch guitars and checking their prices I had to try one. After doing so I was convinced, I wanna have one of these and at the half of the price of a Martin and even better finishing and build construction the decision was kind of easy.

Why to buy in Czech Republic?
I live in Germany so after calling HUML Music and checking their prices I thought, perfect! Weekend in Prague, tasty beer and food + amazing guitar for the same price as buying in Germany

Price and Transportation
The OM-35SR I bought did cost me 1700 Euros + 200 for the LR Baggs Anthem System. Total cost 1900 while right now in Euro-Countries that would cost 2100 (cheapest Internet price I found) + 400 for the LR.Baggs Anthem. If you go to any Music store here in Germany and want to try the guitar before buying you have to pay around 2300-2500 for the guitar + 400 euros LR.Baggs Anthem. So saving between 500 and 700 Euros I would say.

The Transportations Issue: I called Czech Airlines and they offered two Options.
a) Pay 200 Euros for cheking in a musical Instrument (Sport Equipment is free or at least cheap) but for musical instruments you have to pay that nice amount.
b) Paying an extra seat in the plane. Nice...
c) So I did C. Went there with the plane and came home on the Bus with no extra charge for my guitar

Sound - Comparing to OM-34SR, OM-35AG(Adirondack/Madagascar)
I bounced from one model to the other again and again and the winner (for me) was allways the OM-35SR. It had the reachest, warmest tone, with a lot of stuff going on with overtones.
The OM-35AG was definitelly the most beautiful looking but the tone was brighter and somehow "quackier". I guess that the Madagascar back is stiffer than the East Indian one...
The OM-34SR was nice too but again, not that reach and wars as the 35.
Soloing
I play basically Jazz, Bossa and Blues so having a loud "soloing" instrument is very important for me. Most of the acoustic guitars are kind of weak when soiling on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd string. But this guitar is just a machine gun with a lot of volume, sustain and overtones. It is like playing with the a reverb pedal.
Strumming
When strumming this guitar is not any worse. It has that woody tone and when strummed a bit harder it breaks like a good flamenco guitar, just fantastic. I have to say that for some guitar players this guitar needs some time to get used to. After a week now playing every day I realised that I have a tendency to use "palm mute" on many ocassions because it gets pretty loud really fast. Not when playing open strings with traditional chords on the first 3 frets but when playing more jazzy, bluessy and funky chords. Really fun to play with though...

Build Quality
This guitar looks just insanelly expensive. Perfect details in bindings, fretboard, etc..never played a nicer acoustic guitar. It looks like a 5000 Euro guitar!! Just way over the 2000 it did cost...just gergeous, really!!

Playability
The guitar came with Elixir strings - caliber 012-something - pretty thik strings. The guitar was pretty playable but it had definitelly some room for improvement. I asked If itīs possible to bring the strings a bit closer to the fretboard by sanding the saddle. The guy at HUML guitars offered to do it himself so 5 minutes later the guitar became more comfortable closer to how I use to play. I thought that at home I would sand it a bit more but after a week with it I think I like it how it is. I have to say here that in the last year I have been just playing electric so that is why an acoustic guitar felt a bit chunky in my hands.
Neck
I have been reading here that the neck of the Vintage series is a kind of a V-Shape neck and that for some players it is chunky. Well, the Millenium Series seemed to me a bit more comfortable but the vintage series is comfortable too. My OM-35SR has no evident signs of a V-Shape bt the OM-35AG had definitelly a V at the first 3 frets that was faded out around the 4th one.
It seems that it depends on each guitar so jaust have this in mind if you gonna buy blind.

HUML Music
They have a quite outstanding collection of Furch Guitars there, something between 20 and 30 for sure and having in mind the production delay and how they are sold out everywhere right now, that is a really good service....acztually for me a "must". In Germany you have to buy basically blind because you have no choice to compare...how will you know if the guitar you picked is the right one for you if you have no choice to compare?
The guys there spoke some english and if speeking not that fast you can comunicate with them. They are friendly and let you play any guitar the time you want.
The Installation of the LR Baggs System is done in a couple of hours and some little adjustments like sanding down the saddle is a thing of 5 Minutes.

Sorry for that long Post but I thought it may interest to someone...

Thanks for your posts and if someone has any question I will try to answer if I am around
Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu147 View Post
The guitar came with Elixir strings - caliber 012-something - pretty thik strings. The guitar was pretty playable but it had definitelly some room for improvement. I asked If itīs possible to bring the strings a bit closer to the fretboard by sanding the saddle. The guy at HUML guitars offered to do it himself so 5 minutes later the guitar became more comfortable closer to how I use to play. I thought that at home I would sand it a bit more but after a week with it I think I like it how it is. I have to say here that in the last year I have been just playing electric so that is why an acoustic guitar felt a bit chunky in my hands.
Thank you for your detailed report.
The general consensus here regarding the original saddle bone is to take it out of the bridge and store in the safe place (like your guitar case). Then buy another saddle bone for sanding.

It may be, that by excessive sanding you will kill the tone of your instrument. By keeping the original saddle bone, you'll be able to check it out and come back. I suggest you will not continue to sand it lower but get another one for that (Furch uses Tusq).
Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM

Default Furch guitars, experiences and information

Hi Manu147!

Please don't apologise for a long post - it is a joy to read someone enjoying a new guitar in all its detail. As a sort of Furch owner (it's my wife's and we don't live together at the moment) I know just how good they are. I would have loved the opportunity to travel to Prague to enjoy that lovely city with the intention of trying out a bunch of great guitars. It sounds like you've got a guitar for life - I know my wife's OM23SF is going nowhere!

Pictures are of course obligatory as soon as possible!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Thank you for your detailed report.
The general consensus here regarding the original saddle bone is to take it out of the bridge and store in the safe place (like your guitar case). Then buy another saddle bone for sanding.

It may be, that by excessive sanding you will kill the tone of your instrument. By keeping the original saddle bone, you'll be able to check it out and come back. I suggest you will not continue to sand it lower but get another one for that (Furch uses Tusq).
Hi Catfish,

yes, that sounds interesting and I never thought about that.

But this thought comes to me now and please donīt take it bad, I am not being sarcastic: why should I change the original saddle for a non original when I could sand it down to where I like it? And a saddle is something that doesnīt weares out, I mean it could be on the guitar forever under normal circumstances. Yes, I know that there is a risk of sanding to much but wouldnīt that be like buying a ferrari and changing ...like the steering wheel or something else becuase the fear of damaging it?. I just enjoy my "all original" guitar...

For selling purposes it would make sense though (all original) but my guitars will pass to my children anyway

But I can understand that for someone this could be a good procedure.

Thanks and kind regards,
Old 04-12-2016, 04:36 AM

Caution against modifying the original saddle bone is not connected to the possible sale of the guitar in the future. It's because one can sand it down too low and then regret it. The thing is that the tone of the guitar after sanding the saddle down or replacing the saddle keeps changing for some time - several days or weeks. And it is possible that you may want to come back, if you will not like the tone or your new set of strings will start buzzing.

If you sanded down the original saddle bone, you cannot come back.

Most people are doing the way you do, however. So, not to worry too much.

Tusq saddle bones are wearing down, they do not last forewer. Look at these pics -
http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...ource=activity

Natural saddle bones presumably last forewer.

Enjoy your new ferrari!
Old 04-12-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu147 View Post

Why to buy in Czech Republic?
I live in Germany so after calling HUML Music and checking their prices I thought, perfect! Weekend in Prague, tasty beer and food + amazing guitar for the same price as buying in Germany
Just this is good enough of a reason !
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Caution against modifying the original saddle bone is not connected to the possible sale of the guitar in the future. It's because one can sand it down too low and then regret it. The thing is that the tone of the guitar after sanding the saddle down or replacing the saddle keeps changing for some time - several days or weeks. And it is possible that you may want to come back, if you will not like the tone or your new set of strings will start buzzing.

If you sanded down the original saddle bone, you cannot come back.

Most people are doing the way you do, however. So, not to worry too much.

Tusq saddle bones are wearing down, they do not last forewer. Look at these pics -
http://www.acousticguitarcommunity.c...ource=activity

Natural saddle bones presumably last forewer.

Enjoy your new ferrari!
Hi again,

yep, it seems that these tusk saddles are wearing out with time. One never ends learning...

For next time I will have that it mind.

Would you recommend to get a real bone one that lasts forever? Bone is the real thing, isnīt it?

And yes, I would consider this guitar a Ferrari

Kind regards,
Old 04-12-2016, 06:28 AM

I never owned a Furch, so I cannot tell from my own experience is it a good idea to fix a natural bone saddle to a Furch.

But I read in this forum and elsewhere that people who replaced Tusq with bone on Furch did not like the tone after this upgrade and went back to Tusq. The same was written for new Gibsons (not vintage).

You can search this forum, sure, you will find the things I'm writing about.

Not long ago, I replaced Tusq with bone on Seagull dread and very happy with the results.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I never owned a Furch, so I cannot tell from my own experience is it a good idea to fix a natural bone saddle to a Furch.

But I read in this forum and elsewhere that people who replaced Tusq with bone on Furch did not like the tone after this upgrade and went back to Tusq. The same was written for new Gibsons (not vintage).

You can search this forum, sure, you will find the things I'm writing about.

Not long ago, I replaced Tusq with bone on Seagull dread and very happy with the results.
Nope, not my experienced. I went to bone on my Furch and Gibsons and thought the tone became clearer and more defined. For some reason my Hummingbird however hated the bone bridge pins, lost its nectar tone amazingly. Went back to palstic and there it was back ...
What we do on weekends:
Old 04-12-2016, 01:08 PM

I have a Furch D20 CM dread with a cedar top and hog back and sides and it's a stunner. The tone, playability and quality are up there with dreads 2/3 times the price. I'd say it was on a par if not better than a 3 series taylor (which ive owned) and its definitely better than the martins ive had (a dx1, d16gt, dm etc).

Furch guitars are a steal at the money and I would recommend them to anyone.
Yamaha LL400
Yamaha aex 500
Recording King RD06 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
brno, czech, furch