The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Looking for help with "Dont let us get sick".

Hey there. I'm hoping I might be able to get a little help.. Ive been playing off and on for about 10 years, and working to get back into it after being away from playing a bit.. So I and pushing myself to hit up a open mic to keep myself focused, and am working on the song "Don't let us get sick" by Warren Zevon. I pretty much have the intro rif down, and am trying to get a picking pattern for the main part of the song. I'm really struggling to find something that really works and sounds good for me. Its kind of throwing me off because the chord changes seem to come in the center of a measure in some places.. Anyone here worked with this song before and might want to point me in the right direction? this is the chord chart I'm working with...
https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/w/w...t_sick_crd.htm

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 AM

Still moving along on this song. Its going pretty well mostly. Im pretty new at coming up with a arrangement just starting with chords, but Im getting it. I have 2 weeks to polish it up...
Old 09-13-2017, 04:08 AM

It's a great song. I just strum it though.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 AM

Don't have a guitar here, but . . . the chords look right. Their placements are largely wrong tho - your realize that, right? You can pretty plainly hear the changes in the Youtube studio version and you can see when they happen in the live video, though his hand is too obscured to see much else. Remember, the song IS the lyrics and accompaniment, the intro is just gravy.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
Don't have a guitar here, but . . . the chords look right. Their placements are largely wrong tho - your realize that, right? You can pretty plainly hear the changes in the Youtube studio version and you can see when they happen in the live video, though his hand is too obscured to see much else. Remember, the song IS the lyrics and accompaniment, the intro is just gravy.
I have watched the live vid a few times. Ive seen the capo placement, and different fingering also. The studio recording seems much more basic, and stripped down then the live recording. More like what the tab shows. Ive simplify d it a bit for my skill level . Its not perfect but think its starting to sound passable. Learning the intro my daughter picked out what song im playing so I must be close. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Musically, I can't assist, but congratulations on the open mic, keep us posted
Old 09-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
Musically, I can't assist, but congratulations on the open mic, keep us posted
Thanks! Ive only been on stage once before, and it was with my kids at a talent show... I was much more scared then they were!! Ive been getting better and better at this song.. its slow, but it the player I am. ive started working on a second song now also, so my practice times are devided between the two. The other song is "Tonight I just need my guitar" Going OK, but there is a Bm chord I got more work in changing too and from... But Im kicking it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write