The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
Well just over a month from first posting this I did my first F bar chord and it rang out without any fret buzz. I was so excited. Ive been practicing them on and off all the time and its taken ages just to get to that. I still can't change to and from the chord yet but hey its a start at least.

I am getting better at my Bmin bar chord and can just manage to switch to and from them in a song.

See what practice does? Good job!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post
Well just over a month from first posting this I did my first F bar chord and it rang out without any fret buzz. I was so excited. Ive been practicing them on and off all the time and its taken ages just to get to that. I still can't change to and from the chord yet but hey its a start at least.
I am getting better at my Bmin bar chord and can just manage to switch to and from them in a song.
Congrats! Cool feeling isn't it?

Guitar playing consists of heavy doses of the two P's:

Practice and Patience.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:34 AM

When trying to learn how to do them I noticed that it feels like you have to press really really hard with your pointer finger. But once you have mastered them you realise your not pushing all that hard at all really.
The thing what got me over the line was to position my barring finger so it sticks out over the neck and the bottom of the finger nail lines up with the top of the neck.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I don't think there are any hard-fast rules, only that you place the bar finger where it gets the firmest pressure on the strings.

While learning to finger-pick Freight Train, I just found out that my bar finger relaxes to much after I land it. Just one more thing to work on

As they say; practice, man, practice!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I don't think there are any hard-fast rules, only that you place the bar finger where it gets the firmest pressure on the strings.

While learning to finger-pick Freight Train, I just found out that my bar finger relaxes to much after I land it. Just one more thing to work on

As they say; practice, man, practice!

Yeah for me is that I don't need my index finger straight like an arrow. A little bit of a bend is what feels comfortable for me. Sometimes I apply pressure depending if its an up or down strum. Down strums I put more pressure on the lower strings since those are the ones that stand out. On the up strums I put more pressure on the higher strings because you usually don't even hit the lower strings on an up strum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write