The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
That would look real snazzy on my Baby T, is there website link for these guys?
Again....it is www.inlaystickers.com
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 AM

Looks great ! I have just ordered mine !
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM

Default Taylor GS Mini with Cindy Inlay Stickers

They do look nice! I put some of those on my Strat and a ukulele, they really dress up the fretboard.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I don't mean to be fussy, but I do believe that Taylor's "Cindy" fretboard design is owned by Taylor Guitars, and that they would not at all be pleased by someone else selling stickers of their design. I haven't called them about it, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I have to agree with Cotten here. The Cindy inlay is likely a trademarked Taylor design that is being illegally duplicated by this company you're linking to. I seriously doubt they're sending royalty checks to El Cajon every time they sell one of these. Looks nice, but at the end of the day, the pattern is stolen.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 05-30-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I don't mean to be fussy, but I do believe that Taylor's "Cindy" fretboard design is owned by Taylor Guitars, and that they would not at all be pleased by someone else selling stickers of their design. I haven't called them about it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

That said, I do like this design. I have it on my 2000 914c, and consider it to be just the right touch of elegant bling before edging over into the realm of the gaudy. I do like the way it dresses up this GS Mini!

cotten
You're not being fussy, I thought the exact same thing. I actually e-mailed Taylor yesterday about these and got a response. Here is the exchange.

To Taylor:
I recently discovered a company who are producing a copy of the Cindy Inlay in vinyl sticker form designed to be installed on a fretboard. Having never heard of these before but being a huge Taylor fan and the owner of a 2011 914 w/ authentic Cindy inlay, I decided to give them a try on my GS Mini. Although very cheap and only a sticker, they still came off looking pretty sharp, certainly giving you the impression they are real. This really made me wich Taylor was doing this from the start.
I'm sure that would drive the price up a nice chunk but the question has to be asked, has any thought been given to applying or perhaps creating a "modify a model" option to the fret work on the GS Mini?
I'm sure it's not for everyone such as the inlay on the 914 today but for the guys like me who want a little bling with their bang, I'd certainly buy one.
Here's a photo I took after installing them last night. I really like the look.

Response from Glen Wolff at Taylor:
Hi Nicholas,
Thanks for writing!
We've seen those decals on a few guitars that have come in for service. They don't look too bad for a decal!
The GS Mini is not yet in the BTO lineup. It's price would certainly double or triple if we were to offer custom options. Someday that may chance but for now there are no options available.
Thanks,
Glen Wolff
Taylor Guitars
Customer Service Manager

So it would certainly appear they are well aware of the decals. Not sure what, if anything, they are doing about it. I know China has been know to manufacture ripoff sports jerseys, hand bags, and watches. I guess they are now in the business of guitar inlays.

Cheers!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds08 View Post
Did the stickers cover the dot marks on the fret board. I don't see any on your Mini.
No, the inlay stickers DID NOT cover up the inlay dots completely. I'm pretty sure the same website sells all black inlay dot covers so if anyone is planning on doing this, they may want to invest in those as well.

But like you said, you couldn't see inlay dots anyway. It blends together real well so I bet 95% of people would be like you and not notice.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbandnick View Post
You're not being fussy, I thought the exact same thing. I actually e-mailed Taylor yesterday about these and got a response. Here is the exchange.

To Taylor:
I recently discovered a company who are producing a copy of the Cindy Inlay in vinyl sticker form designed to be installed on a fretboard. Having never heard of these before but being a huge Taylor fan and the owner of a 2011 914 w/ authentic Cindy inlay, I decided to give them a try on my GS Mini. Although very cheap and only a sticker, they still came off looking pretty sharp, certainly giving you the impression they are real. This really made me wich Taylor was doing this from the start.
I'm sure that would drive the price up a nice chunk but the question has to be asked, has any thought been given to applying or perhaps creating a "modify a model" option to the fret work on the GS Mini?
I'm sure it's not for everyone such as the inlay on the 914 today but for the guys like me who want a little bling with their bang, I'd certainly buy one.
Here's a photo I took after installing them last night. I really like the look.

Response from Glen Wolff at Taylor:
Hi Nicholas,
Thanks for writing!
We've seen those decals on a few guitars that have come in for service. They don't look too bad for a decal!
The GS Mini is not yet in the BTO lineup. It's price would certainly double or triple if we were to offer custom options. Someday that may chance but for now there are no options available.
Thanks,
Glen Wolff
Taylor Guitars
Customer Service Manager

So it would certainly appear they are well aware of the decals. Not sure what, if anything, they are doing about it. I know China has been know to manufacture ripoff sports jerseys, hand bags, and watches. I guess they are now in the business of guitar inlays.

Cheers!
Maybe, just maybe, Taylor isn't as "sue-happy" as other companies and businesses. They probably realize that the folks that run the sticker website maybe aren't exactly getting rich off of their Cindy inlay stickers.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Cheers!
But Jockomo inlay stickers are from Japan !
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
...I actually e-mailed Taylor yesterday about these and got a response... So it would certainly appear they are well aware of the decals. Not sure what, if anything, they are doing about it...
Thanks for doing this, and sharing Taylor's response. Good to see members of the AGF being such responsible folks!

cotten
Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icy_wind500 View Post
But Jockomo inlay stickers are from Japan !
China, Japan, potato, pototo.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMusician View Post
Yes they do. The website shows how they are designed to cover the existing fret markers.

Again.....the website is inlaystickers.com.
Thanks this helps a lot. Ordering them for my 214.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fret, gs mini, inlay, sticker, taylor