The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 PM

Default GS mini Tusq pin traditional vs presentation

Hello, all GS mini users.

I have been reading many threads about bridge pins and trying to upgrade my gs mini by changing the nubone bridge pin. I like to try Tusq pins but here comes my question.

There are two different kinds for tusq one for traditional and other for presentation. According to website, presentation is one that Taylor uses so I bout the presentation one for my gs mini.

But as I was changing the pins, it seems that original nubone bridge pins seem to have different than the presentation. I could not measure the diameter of the pin but it seems the tusq is much shorter than the original.

Is gs mini suppose to use traditional or presentation?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM

The original pins are plastic. I know it says that somewhere on Taylor's site, but look at the specs on Sweetwater. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSmini/

The bridge pins on my mini are the only cheap thing about it.
Eastman AC312
JTV-59
Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 PM

I'm reply to the OP's question to add to the knowledgebase on the GS Mini and Taylor guitars in general. I too had the same question but couldn't find the answer so I took an educated guess.

Though Graphtech recommends using the "Presentation" sized bridge pins for Taylor guitars, when I measured the bridge pins in both my GS Mini and my 314ce, they had much thicker shanks than the "Presentation" sized pins. The "Traditional" sized pins (sometimes advertised as "Martin" pins) seemed to be a closer match. Also, I found one review of Tusq bridge pins on a Taylor in which the OP said the "Presentation" pins were too small and fell out.

I bought the "Traditional" pins, they arrived today, and fit perfectly in my GS Mini. They should also fit all standard Taylors. I don't understand why Graphtech misinforms it's customers when buying pins for Taylors, one of the most popular brands of acoustic guitars.

For those technically minded, here are the dimensions of the shanks on the various pins:

314ce Ebony Pins - .210" - 3 degree slope - slot not through skirt - Size 1
GS Mini Plastic Pins - .210" - 3 degree slope - slot through skirt - Size 1T
Graphtech Tusq Traditional - .2020" - 3 degree slope - slot through skirt
Graphtech Tusq Presentation - .1920" - 3 degree slope - slot through skirt

As you can see, the "Traditional" are closer in size though not "perfect".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge pin, gs mini, presentation, tradition, tusq