The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Can anyone help with out with some beginner fingerpicking techniques?

This will probably sound stupid because I've been playing basically everyday for 9 months now, but for the most part have stuck to strumming and picking just with the guitar pick.

But when I try to pick with my fingers, the noise is just reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard, it doesn't sound correct at all...am I just supposed to be using the flesh of my fingers?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Flesh works, but it's a different tone than nails.

Fingerpicking is much more difficult than strumming IMO. I've been at it for about 18 months now, and I still have much to learn.

The first "satisfying" thing for me was pattern picking. I learned a simplified version of Rev Gary Davis' Candy Man.

Then comes the Independent Thumb. That took months. Basically, the idea is to be able to maintain an alternating bass pattern with your thumb while playing an independent melody with your fingers. Syncopated, unsyncopated, slightly off-beat. Tons of fun, but not easy.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 12-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molnar View Post
This will probably sound stupid because I've been playing basically everyday for 9 months now, but for the most part have stuck to strumming and picking just with the guitar pick.

But when I try to pick with my fingers, the noise is just reminiscent of nails on a chalkboard, it doesn't sound correct at all...am I just supposed to be using the flesh of my fingers?
You have to work to find the right attack. Are you using your nails, and that's why it sounds like nails on a chalk-board? be sure you're not scraping against the string winding's when you pick. You need to pluck the string fairly straight on, so that your nail doesnt slide against the string, across the windings.

Check out this video, and watch his finger motion carefully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9IbxIlFuo
Old 12-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I used this:

http://www.accentonmusic.com/book_detail.asp?qID=5
Old 12-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:

From the sound you describe, you're probably scraping across the string wrapping. If so, pluck more perpendicular to the strings.

Whether you're using nails or flesh, that sound shouldn't be there.

Good luck with your fingerpicking.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Flesh works, but it's a different tone than nails.

Fingerpicking is much more difficult than strumming IMO. I've been at it for about 18 months now, and I still have much to learn.

The first "satisfying" thing for me was pattern picking. I learned a simplified version of Rev Gary Davis' Candy Man.

Then comes the Independent Thumb. That took months. Basically, the idea is to be able to maintain an alternating bass pattern with your thumb while playing an independent melody with your fingers. Syncopated, unsyncopated, slightly off-beat. Tons of fun, but not easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
You have to work to find the right attack. Are you using your nails, and that's why it sounds like nails on a chalk-board? be sure you're not scraping against the string winding's when you pick. You need to pluck the string fairly straight on, so that your nail doesnt slide against the string, across the windings.

Check out this video, and watch his finger motion carefully:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9IbxIlFuo
Quote:
Originally Posted by retailguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
From the sound you describe, you're probably scraping across the string wrapping. If so, pluck more perpendicular to the strings.

Whether you're using nails or flesh, that sound shouldn't be there.

Good luck with your fingerpicking.
After paying more attention to it, I guess I have been scraping more than hitting the strings straight on. Thanks for all the quick replies, as always this forum has been the best source for me to go to help.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 PM

Molnar --

A simple, but satisfying exercise for cleaning up your technique. Try Paul Simon's "Bookends". Just 2-finger plucking, but hard to play clean at first.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
After paying more attention to it, I guess I have been scraping more than hitting the strings straight on. Thanks for all the quick replies, as always this forum has been the best source for me to go to help.
Another sometimes neglected tip is really smooth out those nails -- use an inexpensive nail buffer with shape/buff/polish steps and get the nail edge (inside and out) as smooth as possible. Makes a big difference, and I do it everytime I sit down with my guitar (I always keep a couple in the case).

cheers,
andrew
-- Schroedinger's wife
Old 12-25-2010, 12:49 AM

+1 on the "Art of Temporary Travis Picking" by Mark Hanson...
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 AM

I get a lot of good tips from youtube guitar lessons. Also be sure to visit justinguitar.com , he was born to teach others, very good guitar player.
I have always prefered to use my fingers instead of pick, but I do play with pick as well. I play with flesh, no nails in my technique. Practice, practice, practice. Keep slow pace and build speed from there.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
+1 on the "Art of Temporary Travis Picking" by Mark Hanson...
In a bit of a hurry, BB?

I agree with the suggestion of Hanson's The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking. Just don't get in a hurry. Get each pattern down well before moving to the next, and then keep practicing what you learn. It takes time and practice.

Bill
Old 12-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I've been playing for some time and I still sound a little like "nails on a chalkboard" - can be a little scratchy. Like others have already written, try playing more towards 90 degrees if you can. At one point I figured I might as well give up, I hated the sound so much. But I am glad I didn't, of course. I still don't play without a little scratch, but it's a lot better than it was and I still keep working on it. Don't let it get you down too much - even just practice and experience might help make the sound better.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion