The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 AM

Default Man In Black (Acoustic Johnny Cash Cover)

Afternoon all

I've got a couple of JC tracks i'm planning on recording over the next week or so to potentialy go in my pub/bar set, this is the first one of about 4 or 5 I'm going to be trying out

Let me know what you think folks if you'd be so kind

Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 PM

I say you need to clean up the song a bit. You've got the right idea, but it definitely needs refining. This is also just my opinion, but I personally would rather here the song as written, not edited. I've got nothing against the changes you made to the song, it just doesn't have that same Johnny Cash vibe that most people expect in listening to this song.

If your voice is uncomfortable when you are singing (to me, your voice sounds a little strained) there's no shame in using a capo or playing in a different key.

Like I said, that's just my opinion. I think you'll have one heck of a cover with some more practice and editing, and a fair bit of adjusting.

Good luck, I hope to hear the finished product.

--James
Old 03-30-2015, 08:57 PM

Default Man In Black (Acoustic Johnny Cash Cover)

I thought it was entertaining and convincing. It is not a mimicry of Johnny Cash, but has the flavor. I presume this will be sung live. If so, I think it will be popular. The recording was a bit rough, as would be expected for a first take. There is some truth in the key comment above. It's at the bottom of your range? Frankly, as a tenor, I tend to avoid Cash, because I can't do him justice. An interesting note, I think that in the film Man in Black, they actually arranged the songs a full step up. I am going by memory, so someone correct me if I am wrong. Of course, those songs were very believable regardless. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 PM

oh man I liked it =)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, all points duely noted

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell