The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Default Three New Leach Customs - Two Dreads & An Archtop

Arrived over the weekend three custom Leach guitars....

All three are very unique instruments.... with the Brazilian Bresh dread a real killer with it's booming bass and glassy trebles...and is a work of art. I took this guitar out to my gig on Saturday night I was so impressed with it!

The Fall Fantasy has a spectacular redwood top and quilted maple... it has a little less bottom end than the Brazilian Bresh.... but just a little.

The electric is a Travis Special Archtop with alamed maple top, back, sides and neck. This is a replica of a Super 400 that Merle had custom made with a solid maple top to get the sustain and tone of a solid body combined with the look of his signature archtop. Hand-made P-90 pickups. I thought it was so spectacular that I wound up buying all three guitars!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

Last edited by cpabolting; 11-12-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM

Congratulations! That must really be quite exciting. Harv is an artist with his builds and, to me, there is nothing quite as beautiful as a nice curly Maple archtop guitar with a sunburst like that.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 AM

holy cow. Beautiful stuff!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:41 AM

Glad they finally made it to their new home!

Harv
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Harvey - simply stunning work!
The Bigsby/Travis look is so distinctive - it's wonderful to see such a playful-yet-respectful update.

Love the zero frets, too. When will the stigma fade that these were somehow only for cheap guitars?

Gorgeous!
Cheers,
Martin
Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous. I especially like that archtop.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Keith View Post
Harvey - simply stunning work!
The Bigsby/Travis look is so distinctive - it's wonderful to see such a playful-yet-respectful update.

Love the zero frets, too. When will the stigma fade that these were somehow only for cheap guitars?

Gorgeous!
Cheers,
Martin
I've been friends with Thom Bresh for many years, when we first met he had 2 of his dad's guitars at his house. The D-28 with the original Bigsby neck and a Super 400 which had the prototype Bigsby tailpiece... Thom told me when his dad gave him the 2 guitars he said "This here is a Martin so it's probably worth something, but if you ever make a clock out of that Gibson don't throw away that tailpiece..." He had no concept that because they were his guitars that they were worth a fortune... I believe Thom sold them through Christies for about $250K. Best part for me was I got to take measurements of that neck, in fact when Martin did a reissue of the Martin/Bigsby I made the prototype neck for them to copy. The combination of the 7 deg. headstock pitch and the hard rock maple neck gives them a really unique sustain and feel. It felt especially cool knowing that I was measuring the same neck that Leo Fender measured for his guitars.

Harv
Old 11-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Really really nice. And refreshing!
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Nice haul. Harv has a few I want too, I just don't have any money. LOL I do have an LS, Tree Mahogany with a one piece back at my house from Harv, sadly its for sale not for me to keep. :-(
Old 11-15-2014, 03:43 PM

All three guitars are very nice -- but the headstock on the archtop is outstanding.

I also really like the burst maple back.

Enjoy, Keith.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
All three guitars are very nice -- but the headstock on the archtop is outstanding.

I also really like the burst maple back.

Enjoy, Keith.
I wasn't sure about he different headstocks on the dreads at first, but they are actually really cool and I am enjoying playing with them

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 11-21-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I wasn't sure about he different headstocks on the dreads at first, but they are actually really cool and I am enjoying playing with them
When I first started building copies of that headstock I has some reservations. Thom was telling me a little history about them which was pretty cool because I always thought the way they looked was a visual statement.

Travis would restring his guitars with them laying on his lap, so he wanted all the tuners on the left side, originally the scroll was on the left as well but it was in the way. They originally were strung like a Stauffer guitar with the big E longer than the little E string. The part that was most interesting to me was that they made several prototypes with varying angles and settled on the 7 deg version because it, along with switching the strings so the little E was long, had just the right feel for the way he played. He liked that the very short big E string tightened it up and the long little E was a bit looser.

Harv
Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I was actually commenting on the headstock inlays rather than the shape...

The dreads look nice, especially as a pair. I also change strings with the guitar on my lap and I always sweat it when I get to the treble side.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM

The inlays on the headstock of the "Fall Fantasy" are some of my all-time favorites (right up there with and orchid vine I recently did ) Growing up in Vermont I really wanted to try and capture the colors and movement I remembered. All the materials are natural wood which really helps to maintain an organic feel.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
The inlays on the headstock of the "Fall Fantasy" are some of my all-time favorites (right up there with and orchid vine I recently did )
You mean this one?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
leach custom dread