The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Special 1976 Flamenco guitar....what do I have here?

I'd love to know what my beautiful Flamenco guitar can command in price. My mother has some medical bills and I'd like to help pay them and I thought about selling this guitar which I don't play very much. It is a 1976 Flamenco guitar hand-made by German Perez Barranco in Granada, spain. The guitar is made from beautiful woods, excellent craftsmanship and THE loudest, most beautful sounding classical guitar I have ever heard. Very boomy, loves to get LOUD and Clear as a bell, but then retreats into being warm and mellow and defined. Made from fine exotic woods. Comes with original 1976 european-style gig bag and new hard-shell case for maximum protection. What an excellent guitar I shall surely miss if I sell! What do you think the value is on this? On Ebay? or for classical enthusiasts?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM

Hard to say. Looks like mahogany back, cedar top. No way of telling if the top and b/s are solid or not from the picture. The tuners look cheap, and the fingerboard might be rosewood, but is certainly not ebony (which one expects to find on the better classical instruments). It's probably not worth much, maybe a few hundred if it plays and sounds good, but this is just an off the cuff estimate. I don't have many details on the construction of the guitar.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-21-2014, 01:04 PM

I think you can contact the manufacturer here:

German Perez Barranco
Cuesta de Gomerez nš10
Granada 18009 , Spain
[email protected]
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-21-2014, 04:31 PM

Looks well kept - hope you find out its value - but looks like a student model, not a primera
Tend to agree with the above comments
The pictures don't seem to indicate its a flamenco guitar -- just saying to help you direct your advertisement to the right player - set up on bridge looks a bit more hybrid - too high off the soundboard for a flamenco but maybe lower than some classical guitars - no Golpedor etc - boomy qualities the least desirable for a flamenco player
Good luck with the sale

Last edited by AlVal; 11-22-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

contact Tom at Lafalseta.com

he can give you an honest market value and may tell you more about it.

he knows Flamenco and classical quite well.

d
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Thanks for some of the info. I think one row of tuners is orig, one row is from a yamaha classical and....the back, sides and top are solid.
I dunno, few hundred? Few as in 2? Isn't that what I'd pay for a Nippon Gakki Nylon? All day long....
I took this guitar to luthier/master mechanic Steve Kubica and he livened up when he played it and said with a set up + regulation it would go for a lot. I have to say it is a special guitar. There aren't classicals at Guitar center that sound like this, and I've never played a classical as right on as this one. My friend's 1962 hand-made in Spain (with ebony board) isn't even quite as nice....it's a little warmer, but this 1976er is just blowing them all away. And I've played lots of nylons before!
Hand made in Grenada spain. Maybe 3 1976s in the country? lol....if I could only get 1K I'd make the 1K another way and keep the guitar
Old 11-22-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarSnob View Post
Thanks for some of the info. I think one row of tuners is orig, one row is from a yamaha classical and....the back, sides and top are solid.
I dunno, few hundred? Few as in 2? Isn't that what I'd pay for a Nippon Gakki Nylon? All day long....
I took this guitar to luthier/master mechanic Steve Kubica and he livened up when he played it and said with a set up + regulation it would go for a lot. I have to say it is a special guitar. There aren't classicals at Guitar center that sound like this, and I've never played a classical as right on as this one. My friend's 1962 hand-made in Spain (with ebony board) isn't even quite as nice....it's a little warmer, but this 1976er is just blowing them all away. And I've played lots of nylons before!
Hand made in Grenada spain. Maybe 3 1976s in the country? lol....if I could only get 1K I'd make the 1K another way and keep the guitar
I can't knowledgeably comment on this guitar's current market value, but it sounds like you are definitely caught between extolling its virtues to justify its potential price tag and trying to hang on to it. The luthier's evaluation is encouraging, but rather vague. Used classical guitars made in Spain are worth a second look, and it may be worth what you hope it might sell for. But it will only sell for what someone is willing to pay. Put it on the market and see if you get any reasonable offers. You will know if your price too high, because you will either get no offers or one much below your expectations. By the way, your photos are excellent and suggest this guitar has a solid cedar top and mahogany sides/back. I particularly like the lighter-colored wood binding (spruce/maple?). The history behind "Miguelito" might be interesting as well.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 11-22-2014 at 11:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical