The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Default Does an 000-15m or OM-15m open up?

Visited a local Guitar Center today and played a Martin 000-15m that just recently arrived. It sounded nice but didn't have the shimmer/overtones of a Martin D-15m that's been there for a while. Could it be because the dread has had a chance to open up some? What has been the experience of anyone who's owned the 000-15m (or the OM-15m)?

Thanks!

Last edited by MrBJones; 06-23-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:05 PM

More likely its a different design, and a bigger guitar. Could have had newer/older, different strings and set up as well.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 PM

don't buy a guitar hoping it will open up later............buy a guitar that you like the way it sounds now.......
Old 06-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Had a 0015m I just traded away today. Very nice tone , as was a OOO-15sm i was considering. Really liked the tone on that too, but after playing a couple HD-28Vs, both -15s sounded just OK...a bit bland as you describe. Though I like the D15 too, I have never been too thrilled with the OM, OMC or regular OOO-15m...they often sound a bit harsh to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 PM

I'm glad this thread came up. I just bought a 000-15M online and while I do like it, I don't LOVE it....like I did when I first played my MMV. The 15 does have a balanced tone that I have heard others describe. It's good for fingerpicking. But it doesn't project and it's not great for strumming. At this point I'm thinking of trading it for something else. I dunno.....maybe I'm just a dread guy, but I'd like to try some other 000 size guitars that may be louder and brighter.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Thumbs up 000-15m

No. What you hear now is what you get . Choose one you are infatuated with and you will be set. I found one that sounds etherial! Sustain beyond belief and nuances that change with different strings. It has no projection, do not expect that from a Martin hog. But the trade off is the amazin' sound. Best, J.P.D.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Just bought a 000-15M several weeks ago. It is a 2011 but was "in the box" fresh and no one had handled it. Sounded fantastic from the get-go. I bought it specifically for fingerpicking, and blues in particular. It is no HD28 or D15 for that matter and if I want to get heavy on the strumming or I'm longing for that bass and shimmer I get out the D18V.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLedge View Post
I'm glad this thread came up. I just bought a 000-15M online and while I do like it, I don't LOVE it....like I did when I first played my MMV. The 15 does have a balanced tone that I have heard others describe. It's good for fingerpicking. But it doesn't project and it's not great for strumming. At this point I'm thinking of trading it for something else. I dunno.....maybe I'm just a dread guy, but I'd like to try some other 000 size guitars that may be louder and brighter.
The 000-15(M) won't project as well as other 000-sized guitars, certainly not like a dread - won't have the bass whomp either. (The 000-15S(M) will have a bit stronger voice due to its elongated 12-fret body.)

What will project well are the 000-size Martin OM's - strong forward projection with minimal drop off is one of their characteristics, based on their initial design criteria as an ensemble, not solo, instrument.

To wit, here's Al Bowley in 1936 with a Martin OM (18, 28, or 45 - the only styles available then) with the Roy Fox Orchestra in London. He's unamplified:

Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 AM

I bought a 000-15 four or five years ago and I believe that it has improved noticeably in the last year or so. Since it seems that most of the responses here go against that I have to consider that it may just be my imagination.

I really like the guitar and play it far more than any other that I have. I honestly do think that it has improved but then I am certainly no expert so my opinion may not be worth much. I do know that my hearing gets worse as time passes so, unless the guitar is improving, there would be no logical reason why the guitar would sound better to me now.

I'm fairly certain that this post has been of absolutely no help to you but I tried.

The bottom line is, I don't think I've ever heard from anyone who has purchased a 15 series Martin who did not like it.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 AM

On paper the only difference in construction seems to be the nut and string spacing. Is there something else that would account for a difference in tone?

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-11-2019 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I tried this guitar based on reviews. i tried both the 00-15 and 000-15. i sold or traded both within the week. i thought maybe the first was a dud, but the second had the same dead sound to me. no character. both were were versions, 2009 or 2011.

Don't give up on OMs, try a Larrivee OM-03. Or an eastman.

As far as the martin 15 series opening up, sure, its wood and as you play it it will wear out some. if thats what you call opening up, then every wood product would do it. But you are gonna have to play it a lot first.

rather buy something that sounds good now.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
don't buy a guitar hoping it will open up later............buy a guitar that you like the way it sounds now.......
And don't buy an OM/000 hoping it will sound like a dread. Smaller bodied guitars are all the rage these days, and I tried to love them before accepting the fact that I'm a dread guy....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

The 15 series I've played ranged from not so good to wonderful. I've owned four and my last one, a OO-15M custom from LA Guitar Sales is my favortite and a keeper. It "woke up" after a few hours of playing.

In my conversations w/ Ted, he said the four he had in stock were all equally as good. Not saying there's a difference but these are custom shop guitars.

I don't buy guitars because they are "the rage". I buy what fits me and what my ears tell me is the sound I'm looking for. I find smaller body guitars to have a more balanced sound, too much bass gets in my way as does too big a body.

I had an OM-15 before the OO, bought it used, was kinda stiff when I got it. It was the second OM-15 I owned and better than the first. I put a ToneRite on the OM and that helped, also eventually put med. gauge strings and that was a big inprovement. So the 15 series will open up and change over time w/ use.

The new OO-15m is a very light build, sounded great out of the case.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
You might want to try a Taylor 514. I finally got to try one, and it is a great mix of tone and balance. Ideal for fingerpicking, fine for strumming too. I wanted something none-rosewood/sitka that had character, and good volume and fit.
Something about cedar over mahogony works for me (as I thought it might), as
this one seems darn near ideal. I traded the 0015 towards it with no remorse.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
You might want to try a Taylor 514. I finally got to try one, and it is a great mix of tone and balance. Ideal for fingerpicking, fine for strumming too. I wanted something none-rosewood/sitka that had character, and good volume and fit.
Something about cedar over mahogony works for me (as I thought it might), as
this one seems darn near ideal. I traded the 0015 towards it with no remorse.
Taylor GC5 is on my list to try when I find it somewhere (512 too, tho I don't need electronics). Haven't been able to try any Taylor 5 Series, so it's an unknown.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion