The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM

Default What's so special about the Martin OM-21 Special?

I am tempted to buy a rosewood Martin OM. I noticed that there is an OM-21 special, but the price is not far off of the OM-28 Marquis. Is the Special really THAT much better than the standard OM-21?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGnut View Post
I am tempted to buy a rosewood Martin OM. I noticed that there is an OM-21 special, but the price is not far off of the OM-28 Marquis. Is the Special really THAT much better than the standard OM-21?
Yes the OM-21 special is a tad bit better than the OM-21 -but the OM-28 Marquis is a super instrument - I believe they were Maddy Rosewood -not sure if they still are . For my money the OM-28v is my favorite and alot nicer than the OM-21 special ( thou some favor the OM-21 special )- but some cant handle the v-neck the OM28v has. Elderly has a custom OM28 version with a non v neck.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 PM

The Special is supposed to sound a bit different from the regular 21, but also jumps up about a grand more in cost from the 21.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 PM

The OM-21 Special is a great guitar.

Check out this comprehenisve review by Todd Stuart Phillips:
http://bit.ly/bf1Jze

His review is really spot on.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM

Here's a good thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=94002
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 PM

my brother bought an om-21 special at Elderly's a little over a year ago. It is a wonderful guitar and I think a good deal for the money. He (we!) tried out several guitars including the regular om-21. the om-21 special had a bit more volume and better sounding tone. There were other guitars that were just as good or even better, but then again the price range shifted dramatically upward. With the Om-21 special my brother can sound great flatpicking or doing some jazzy sounding solos. It is really a very versatile guitar. And the Rosewood really smells good too! (lol)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion