The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Default The Advantage of Traveling with CF Guitars

Well, I just came back for Boston and of course, the Shorty came along. Funny story here. I booked with United who I was unaware, is being purchased by US Air. I got sick when I realized I was flying with them.

I got to the gate check and handed a gal at the door my guitar, and she swiftly sent it down a chute before I could say anything. Got to Boston, opened her up and all was fine. On the return trip I asked the guy to walk her down, and he did. Morons.

So two things learned here. When I got to Boston, my guitar was was extremely cold. So glad my baby was CF and not wood. I really think the extremes in temperature from hot Arizona to the cold could have caused a crack. Secondly. The flying lesson my baby took down the chute. Durability. Great reason for choosing CF as a travel guitar.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 AM

I agree baggage checked my Rainsong on one trip and my Emerald on another. Enjoy the flight and pick it up at baggage without worries. I just am amazed at the endless talk on the wood side about flying with their guitars, they worry about it endlessly and needlessly. I enjoy my trip.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-29-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM

i completely agree! i travel a lot with my carbon fiber guitars and never had a single problem. before that, i was always worried about the guitar. now i can check it and sleep during the flight because i know that there is nothing to worry about! my life is muuuuuuch easier!

i even prefer more the Emeralds to travel with them because there is no glue involved. the rest of the companies use a very special epoxy for the top and the bridges. i'm sure that the epoxy won't be affected by heat changes, but i feel better if i know that there is no glue/epoxy involved
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Lisa,

I am lucky enough to have the same shorty as you. I travel a lot for work, and would love to bring my shorty along. When you travel, do you just use the TKL case that it shipped with? Has the case been banged up much?

Part of my problem is that both of my hands are usually full when I travel. I may need to get a hard-side gig bag to sling over my shoulder. I'd love to hear more about your experiences traveling with your Shorty.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
Lisa,

I am lucky enough to have the same shorty as you. I travel a lot for work, and would love to bring my shorty along. When you travel, do you just use the TKL case that it shipped with? Has the case been banged up much?

Part of my problem is that both of my hands are usually full when I travel. I may need to get a hard-side gig bag to sling over my shoulder. I'd love to hear more about your experiences traveling with your Shorty.
ChunkyB,

I use the TKL case when I travel and not one scratch or dent! It's sturdy and does the job. After this nerve racking experience with her going down the chute, I know she can handle the job. I would never ever gate check her with a gig bag.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I would still love to see RainSong develop a plastic shelled case for Shorty - I'm worried about the TKL long term and it's heavy!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Found this old advert...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-02-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
I would still love to see RainSong develop a plastic shelled case for Shorty - I'm worried about the TKL long term and it's heavy!
I agree. I'd much rather have a molded plastic case, mostly because of the weight.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I seem to recall there was a hard sided gig bag that people found fit the Shorty well. I need to look through my bookmarks.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 AM

I used to have to take a fairly frequent flight back and forth from where I was living and working. I have a CA GX - never got damaged in the flights (checked) but the case got a huge hole in it when I was storing it at the hotel one day when they dropped something on it (I suppose). Guitar was fine. Unfortunately I hadn't realised the hole was there until after I'd left the hotel.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM

i usually take around a dozen flights (more or less) monthly with my carbon fiber guitars (checking them) and never got any problem. the cases (plastic molded) are pretty banged but the guitars don't care about it
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber