The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM

IT depends on the series, I got mine after playing a semi-famous persons Martin, the Tacoma sounded better than the Martin, DM-9.

Check to see if they are china made.

They are good deals, also Yari Alvarez are good guitars for that price. Don't jump if you don't like the sound. There will always be another one in a week or a month.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazmo View Post
Bill,

I don't remember the source, but I have definitely heard this multiple times. There's no sign of the Tacoma brand actually being continued in New Hartford. Fender has done less than nothing to promote Tacoma since they bought the brand and the production in 2005.

I *did* hear first hand from the GM/VP of the Kaman Group that the Guild stuff was coming together in New Hartford. No guitars built yet, though...
Thanks, that's too bad. Tacoma built a very good guitar. I used to own a JM9.

I hope they don't let Guild die!!!!

Any idea when the New Hartford Guilds will be coming to the dealers?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Hard to know what to believe about Tacoma's future. I have friends that work(ed) at the plant and they said that software, jigs and molds were literally thrown in the dumpsters. You also have FMIC officials saying that the name will live on out East. One thing I do know for a solid fact and that is that Fender will say a lot of things and it's not all truth! They have been quoted in press releases before and much was hogwash. I'm still bitter about them letting Tacoma die because when they took over they talked about reviving the brand and pushing them hard. They did nothing of the sorts and the factory floor shrunk daily as Guild expanded. They let everyone go that knew how to build guitars and were pretty darn cold about it. Business is business though and they aren't paying me to keep the books.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1129 View Post
does anyone know anything about these guitars? there is one used in the local shop near me, 650 bucks, so i assume all solid woods and i know for sure its mahogany and spruce, my first impressions sonically werent great, the lows seemed big but muddy and the highs not very present
I have played quite a few Tacoma guitars, and in my opinion they are one of the best values in the guitar world. Whether or not the price is good is not an allowable discussion here, but it depends on the model, since they had quite a range of prices. Not knowing your playing style, it's hard to comment on your sound experience, but some of what you're saying can be affected by the age and condition of the strings. The majority of my experience is with DM9's, and their projection is unmatched by many guitars that in much higher price ranges ... but they are certainly on the homely side if you are big into aesthetics. I have noticed when flatpicking DM9's that they can get a little "muddy" if you play too far out over the soundhole, but you should see a vast difference if you move back toward the bridge. I have never experienced the lack of high end, but we all hear things differently.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 AM

The Tacomas that I've heard have been a mixed bag, from "Meh..." to "Nice!"

As others have mentioned there's a lot speculation regarding Fender's plans for Tacoma brand guitars. It wouldn't surprise me to see FMIC push the Guild line, especially given the success of the GAD series, & let the lesser known Tacoma brand die (which would be a shame).

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Thanks, that's too bad. Tacoma built a very good guitar. I used to own a JM9.

I hope they don't let Guild die!!!!

Any idea when the New Hartford Guilds will be coming to the dealers?
Well, 'dromeda, that's what a lot of us are worried about.

It was at the end of August that I got a letter from the the Kaman VP indicating that they weren't ready for a factory tour yet (that's what I was asking for) but that they were making progress getting people trained and set up. It was optimisitic and upbeat, but no timetable was given.

If I hear anything about production, I'll post up. To my knowledge no Guilds have yet been produced in New Hartford. And, there is/was still some production of Guilds coming from Tacoma, though I can't imagine it's much at this point.

There was also a nasty rumor about some of the USA-made Guilds moving production to Mexico. A couple of people confirmed this rumor and I got no response back when I sent email to the Kaman VP about it, so I suspect it's true.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 AM

When shopping for my DM18-12 ( 12 string Mahogony Dred ) I didn't find anything less than 2.5x the price that sounded as good to me ( and I looked at quite a few, epecially on several trips to Elderly ) I had a chance to play several 6 string Tacoma Mahogony Dreds about a year ago when we had a West Michigan Tacomafest of sorts. The sound on all of them was very good. ( Finish issues on several of them however, which was a problem for several years of Tacoma production )

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 AM

Thumbs up thanks,,, it was the strings!

well, you guys were right and i appreciate the help. It was the strings

i went to go pickup a tele that i ordered and i figured hey, to be fair

try out the guitar

well turns out its a dr 12 and this time around sounded great, i put down on it and plan to finish paying this monday. very bright and crystalline this time around but had the nice dred boom. the way its priced im pretty sure its a american made model pre fender era

thanks

2008 taylor 814ce ("veronica")
schecter c 1 plus
tacoma d r12 ("boomer")
Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
does anyone know anything about these guitars? there is one used in the local shop near me, 650 bucks, so i assume all solid woods and i know for sure its mahogany and spruce, my first impressions sonically werent great, the lows seemed big but muddy and the highs not very present, i did not spend long with it maybe 3 minutes or so, but i want a dreadnaught thats solid wood, nothing terribly expensive...

if anyone has experience with tacoma guitars and if so throw out some advice or maybe some links to sound bytes that would be great,

thanks
Congratulations. I was going to suggest a Larrivee D-03 in that price range, but the important thing is to find what makes you happy.

'79 Yamaha CJ-838S, '03 Martin D-41, '03 Taylor 600 SPEC, '99 Taylor 714, '08 Gibson J45R, '01 G & L Legacy
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up

Maybe let us see some pictures? I'm glad it was something you liked!
Congrats!

Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
well, you guys were right and i appreciate the help. It was the strings

i went to go pickup a tele that i ordered and i figured hey, to be fair

try out the guitar

well turns out its a dr 12 and this time around sounded great, i put down on it and plan to finish paying this monday. very bright and crystalline this time around but had the nice dred boom. the way its priced im pretty sure its a american made model pre fender era

thanks
Nice score! You mentioned you thought it was Hog, but if it's a DR then it is rosewood back & sides. That is a really good deal for that model any way you slice it. Please drop by the Tacoma guitar forum when you get it and show it off!

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
Old 10-08-2008, 06:27 PM

I'm a day late and a dollar short for this thread, but I own a Tacoma JK28c. It is a wonderful guitar. The fit and finish is as good as they come, overall excellent quality. The sound and playability is exceptional also. I can say with confidence that I think you will be quite happy with your tacoma. One of the best "bang for the buck" guitars on the market.

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 PM

I like Tacoma guitars a lot, too. I had one of the first EM-9's off the line, and kind of regret trading that one off...

whm
Old 10-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I like Tacoma guitars a lot, too. I had one of the first EM-9's off the line, and kind of regret trading that one off...

whm
I'd like to swap notes sometime Wade. We both seem to know folks involved with Tacoma guitars. I have met and know quite a few folks both Pre & Post Fender and still stay in touch with 2 of them. 2 are at Gibson now. The story is interesting and I truly believe that company could have cemented itself in the acoustic market. I was told that a book may be written in the near future...

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM

I bought a used sunburst Tacoma Parlor PR12 a few years back to be used as a guitar to take to some guitar camps I was attending that I had to fly to.

IMO my Tacoma guitar sounds "good but not great". The fit and finish are fine, but the guitar never really "opened up" and has a bit of a metallic sound that some Rosewood guitars exhibit. As a result, I don't play it much . . . but it sure does look great hanging on my home studio wall. Here is a picture of the guitar in the case.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion