The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
"Budget friendly", but people always start recommending higher-end gear!

Audient iD14 - $300
Apogee Duet - $600
RME Babyface - $750

I've read things about the 'older' Focusrite AIs that makes me not recommend them - driver issues, or that the preamps weren't great.

I see the same thing happen when someone asks about budget monitors. Sure, $1000/each speakers are going to sound better than $150 ones, but not everyone can afford or want to spend that kind of money.

Will someone using headphones or inexpensive monitors, doing casual recording to transfer to videos notice the difference between the preamps in a $150 interface compared to a $600 one? I bet not.
Exactly, I'd be doing casual recording only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmillbern View Post
Another option would be to go the portable route.
I've a Tascam DR44 and a couple mics, but the onboard mics are not bad (in my opinion) and should suit your purposes. It looks like you can pick up a DR40 or DR44 for a could hundred dollars, Audacity (free) and be set.

The down side is you have to transfer files to your computer, the upside if your not locked to the PC for recording.

Just another option to make it more confusing ;-)
I have thought of that, but with a USB interface it just makes the post processing a little easier.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
OK wow. Forgot the "IMO". Sheesh. Pardon my flagrant assumption.

Check your history. Also google the name Rupert Neve. FR is definitely in the top tier of the best known and respected pro audio companies in the world. VERY highly sought-after new and vintage products. Their Scarlett series of audio interfaces IS currently the top selling brand in it's category.
OK if you say so then top selling in its category. Not even remotely close to the same thing as being "the top name in the business'.
Actually I owned an original Digi 002 with Focusrite pre's that left a lot to be desired and also an ISA series 220 Focusrite and found it merely adequate but nothing stellar. I am aware of the company "History"
You might want to check your sarcasm at the keyboard and you might actually want to take your own advice and "check your history" Neve has not designed for Focusrite since he sold the company in 1989

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-10-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
I have thought of that, but with a USB interface it just makes the post processing a little easier.
It also makes monitoring when multitracking easier, unless you use a stand-alone like a Zoom recorder which can also be used as an interface.

I used a Boss stand-alone recorder, transferring files to the computer. Didn't take me long to realize the advantages of doing everything direct to the computer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
It also makes monitoring when multitracking easier, unless you use a stand-alone like a Zoom recorder which can also be used as an interface.

I used a Boss stand-alone recorder, transferring files to the computer. Didn't take me long to realize the advantages of doing everything direct to the computer.
I actually have a Zoom H1 recorder, not sure if that would be worth trying.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 08-10-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I actually have a Zoom H1 recorder, not sure if that would be worth trying.
The H1, with the latest firmware, will work as an interface. And since you already have one you can start experiencing recording using the computer for $0.00 outlay.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The H1, with the latest firmware, will work as an interface. And since you already have one you can start experiencing recording using the computer for $0.00 outlay.

Fran
+1 there ya go, great advice

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

Fran
Actually my Zoom H1 does have the latest firmware, cause I also do cinema/filmography on the side. Which I haven't done in a while but still have the equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
+1 there ya go, great advice
I looked up videos of people using the Zoom H1 with a guitar and vocals. And surprisingly enough they sounded really good. I will for sure try this setup.

I'll record the vocals and guitar together in one take, and compare it to recording the vocals and guitar separately.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 08-24-2017, 12:16 AM

Cool Warranty/Back Up

Quote:
Hey all, so I would like to record cover songs at home. This would be my very first recording setup. I've been looking at the Focusrite 2i2(gen-2) and the UR22 MKII, since they both can be had for roughly $150 and much less pre-owned.

I don't care for midi devices/attachments, since I'd only be recording with a basic setup of my acoustic guitar with a Fishman pickup, and vocal mic(Shure SM58).

I'd like to upload them to YouTube or Facebook to share with everyone.

Which one has a better preamp, for better sound quality? User friendly? And Windows 10 friendly? Since I use both a laptop/desktop Windows pc. I've read lots of mixed reviews for both. Would like to get opinions of those who have experience with both or either one.

Thanks!
Ralf
I would venture to say the back up after the sale is an important aspect to consider . Be sure of what
kind of back up first , it may be worth a few $'s more .

I chose a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 because midi is important to me and further expansion is too .
It's double headphone out's with individual gain controls is a big plus .

The SPDIF offers more input and I learned a long time ago you can't have too many inputs or outputs .
They are priced @ $249.00 w/ a decent bundled software package too . There are used and open box
units too that are anywhere from $150.00 .

The DAW it came with besides the other stuff ( to many names to mention ) was a smooth and easy install
on Window 10 on my HP TouchSmart 610 . I have REAPER running on it and it works fine .

Their pre amps are super clean and quiet . It's controller that lets me use IOS control is super .
It can interface directly into an iphone/ipad to .

The online store I bought it from has a free 3 year warranty - They are cool , they messed up a past order
and made up for it when I got the 6i6 and knock it down to $200.00 shipping included with no tax .

I purchased a T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3X from a online store that was not as good as a back up with only a 30
day return policy - the good news is T.C.H. VL3X unit has a 3 year warranty .

Get the best free back up possible .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 08-31-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,
RME Babyface
I like that a lot... I have a 2i2 and a TLM 102 and sometimes it sounds good, other times I want to throw it all in a river. And I've been thinking it's the 2i2 but I don't want to upgrade cuz I know I'll eventually want more preamps, but I don't want to invest in some massive setup right now.

It's nice this is extremely high quality, under $1000 and you can daisy-chain them later as your studio grows.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD