The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-02-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

This is one of Michael's first 00-size guitars, from 2009. I had a small part in designing its shape. This one is LS redwood over Panamanian rosewood.

You can read my extensive review and see a lot more photos here.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Here's some proof that it makes noise! Not the best recording but I tried to keep it casual here -

Lovely playing. The guitar sounds fantastic.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
It's always a pleasure to hear you playing. Also, very nice review.
You have very accurately described the type of guitar a Bashkin is.

The "medicine ball to the chest" is what I look for in a fine acoustic. With his OM shape, I'm surprised of the "thump" he gets from those thin sides (just shy of 3 5/8"). I can't say enough about my Bashkin. It was built on the bench with this thread with a truly remarkable inlay by Jimmi Wingert... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hlight=bashkin

I believe Michael prefers to do a photo shoot of all his builds, but at the time he was completing my build, Covid hit, so we never got a chance to do professional photos. I have taken some myself and maybe posted a few things here and there in some of those "show your headstock" threads and such. I've also brought it to B.I.G. III (I think) and was treated to our friend Brad, a.k.a. Frog, serenading me with it. The heliconia flower inlay, rossette and endgraft were all done by Harvey Leach, but were all designed by yours truly. I had drawn the concept on a napkin while in Colombia after being inspired by this photo I took...
That's a great looking guitar! I'm not sure how many of my guitars have the medicine ball to the chest effect. I'd say most don't have enough low end for that. The Klepper has a pretty big low end, as do the Brondel A-2 and Fairbanks SJ.

For the most part, when I play guitars, innocent bystanders experience the "bullet to the chest" effect.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

His work is so clean, and I have always loved what he does with a headstock design!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Back in my early days getting to know the handbuilt world, it was a Bashkin that tipped me over the edge. It had ebony back and sides with some kind of spruce top and it sounded absolutely huge. It was for sale at Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette CA…and it restructured my understanding of what a guitar could be.
This is a beautifully constructed thread, bud. Brings me back to what the Custom Shop was years ago.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Several years ago this video appeared in my YouTube recommendations. This was before I had really become fascinated with lutherie and fingerstyle guitar. To this day I am still mesmerized by the tone and beauty of this guitar (And Michael's incredible playing). The guitar in the video is a Michael Bashkin OM "Great Wave." Like some of the other guitars in this thread, it has a beautiful inlay done by Jimmi Wingert on the headstock.

Just thought I would share this. Great thread!
Old 04-11-2024, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
This is one of Michael's first 00-size guitars, from 2009. I had a small part in designing its shape. This one is LS redwood over Panamanian rosewood.

You can read my extensive review and see a lot more photos
I’ve always loved the way you present guitars, Jim. The photos, the eloquence, the meticulousness…It’s guitar nerd-vana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Lovely playing. The guitar sounds fantastic.

Thanks ol’ pal! Hope you’re doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
His work is so clean, and I have always loved what he does with a headstock design!
I couldn’t agree more! There are a few examples he has done with the burned sand incorporated within the headstock design. Extraordinary…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Back in my early days getting to know the handbuilt world, it was a Bashkin that tipped me over the edge. It had ebony back and sides with some kind of spruce top and it sounded absolutely huge. It was for sale at Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette CA…and it restructured my understanding of what a guitar could be.
This is a beautifully constructed thread, bud. Brings me back to what the Custom Shop was years ago.
Ahh, I adore Stevie at MFG.

Thanks for sharing this… and thanks for your kind words too. Guitar journals volume two coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe2311 View Post

Several years ago this video appeared in my YouTube recommendations. This was before I had really become fascinated with lutherie and fingerstyle guitar. To this day I am still mesmerized by the tone and beauty of this guitar (And Michael's incredible playing). The guitar in the video is a Michael Bashkin OM "Great Wave." Like some of the other guitars in this thread, it has a beautiful inlay done by Jimmi Wingert on the headstock.

Just thought I would share this. Great thread!

Oh man… I've watched that video so many times over the years. Thanks for reminding me of that greatness!
Old 04-12-2024, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I’ve always loved the way you present guitars, Jim. The photos, the eloquence, the meticulousness…It’s guitar nerd-vana!
Thanks for the kind words, Brian.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop