The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-23-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Excuse my ignorance! Who are these folks?
Rolling Stones, early 1964 - Brian Jones on the Gretsch 6118...
Old 06-23-2020, 10:24 AM

I wanted one of those jets when I was 11, the ol’ man bought me a Martin F-50 instead. I was gutted, still have it, 60 years old now. Still HATE it, sits in corner.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 AM

Congrats! I'm a big fan of the look and sound of Gretsch guitars!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 06-23-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! The Jet is arriving today. I'm pretty excited to get it in my hands!
Old 06-23-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
I wanted one of those jets when I was 11, the ol’ man bought me a Martin F-50 instead. I was gutted, still have it, 60 years old now. Still HATE it, sits in corner.
You might want to reconsider that old F-50 - that's a pair of DeArmond Dynasonics in there and, cosmetics aside, it's essentially a pre-'58 6120 or early-60's Duane Eddy under the hood; clean up the pots, borrow a nice mid-powered tube amp (if you don't have one already), fire it up, and you might just find out Dad was right all those years ago...
Old 06-23-2020, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
You might want to reconsider that old F-50 - that's a pair of DeArmond Dynasonics in there and, cosmetics aside, it's essentially a pre-'58 6120 or early-60's Duane Eddy under the hood; clean up the pots, borrow a nice mid-powered tube amp (if you don't have one already), fire it up, and you might just find out Dad was right all those years ago...
Isn't an F50 an acoustic guitar? I had an F50 rosewood and it was basically a super jumbo sized acoustic guitar.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, UPS now says delivery tomorrow and not today. Not real impressed with UPS these days!
Old 06-23-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Isn't an F50 an acoustic guitar? I had an F50 rosewood and it was basically a super jumbo sized acoustic guitar.
You're thinking of the Guild F-50 - college bud had one like yours in BRW that could make chop meat out of any acoustic guitar then or now, regardless of age (makes you wonder why anyone would want a J-200); in contrast, the Martin F-50 was a single-cut hollowbody with either one or two DeArmond Dynasonic pickups encased in a proprietary housing (2-PU versions - originally known as the F-55 - usually date from mid-1964 or later TMK), Gibson-style wiring (2V/2T/3-way switch), a plexiglas "lightning-bolt" compensated bridge, and a stylized "M" cutout tailpiece (I've seen at least one Bigsby-equipped example, but that may have been an aftermarket addition), all finished in what would later be known as an "Ambertone" sunburst. I played a couple back in the '70s and, truth be told, they weren't bad guitars tonally or structurally - unquestionably somewhat quirky-looking but with all the tone you'd expect from a Dynasonic-equipped guitar, and if your tastes run to a thicker neck carve these can be real hidden gems...

IMO the fact that they've gotten an undeserved bad rap has kept the prices artificially low over the years (I could have had one in excellent/near-mint condition for $125-150 back then), and when you consider that a similar-vintage/similar-condition Guild DE-400 will cost you about five times the $1700 asking price of the 1965 example below - ten (or more) times the price for a primo Dynasonic 6120 - one of these could be a real bargain for a player who favors tone over style, and isn't afraid to think outside the box to get it...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-23-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Ah, I see! Was wondering why you guys were going on about an acoustic guitar!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

The new Gretsch is now in my hands! So, here's my take on it. The fit and finish is very nice! Hardware is also top notch. The color is absolutely beautiful. It's really quite a nice guitar!

Setup straight out of the box is pretty dang close! I may tweak it just a bit, but it's nothing major. The action is perfect. Intonation is very close. The guitar is a bit brighter than I anticipated, so I plan to lower the pickups just a bit.

This is a very articulate guitar with good note separation. It's a little thicker sounding than a typical single coil but it still has plenty of twang if needed. The guitar is very resonant. Strums seem to ring almost as long as an LP. Play an E chord and you can really feel the bass ring out.

The case is a nice Gretsch hardshell case. The guitar fits perfectly, as suspected.

So, overall I am really happy with this purchase. The neck feels great and the guitar just really is easy to play and it's easy to get great tones out of it. It's a beautiful guitar as well. I am debating if I want to put on a Les trem or just leave it as a hardtail. Any thoughts on that are welcomed.20200624_144518.jpg
Old 06-24-2020, 08:42 PM

I'd leave it alone - the only trem that really looks right on a Gretsch (any Gretsch) is a Bigsby...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 06-24-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd leave it alone - the only trem that really looks right on a Gretsch (any Gretsch) is a Bigsby...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
He could always use a Vibramate with a Bigsby like this Steve. No drilling into the guitar!

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-install.php
Old 06-24-2020, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
He could always use a Vibramate with a Bigsby like this Steve. No drilling into the guitar!

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-install.php
Unless I'm mistaken, the vibramates don't work with Gretsch guitars? I have a B7 laying around and a Vibramate for an LP guitar. But when checking, they don't appear to have them for Gretsch?
Old 06-25-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, the vibramates don't work with Gretsch guitars? I have a B7 laying around and a Vibramate for an LP guitar. But when checking, they don't appear to have them for Gretsch?
I would check it out, but I think the Vibramate works with anything that has standard stop-tail tailpiece spacing. You may have to use a B5, but I would see if your B7 fits. They don't have Gretsch listed on the website so I don't think they've checked compatability.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-25-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Gretsch makes such beautiful instruments, and these are right up there. I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the two and how they contrast. Congrats!
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars