The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Fret filing

It was near 70 in ohio today so I thought I'd take my squier bullet strat out to the patio table to file the frets. It has a bit of fret sprout so for the cost of the beer that accompanied me, its much better. Many don't like these cheap guitars but I've learned a TON on this "piece of crap."

I then played a bit through my ruby amp.

Just thought I'd share some good times....

Last edited by RedJoker; 04-11-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
It was near 70 in ohio today so I thought I'd take my squier bullet strat out to the patio table to file the frets. It has a bit of fret sprout so for the cost of the beer that accompanied me, its much better. Many don't like these cheap guitars but I've learned a TON on this "piece of crap."

I then played a bit through my ruby amp.

Just thought I'd share some good times....
Excellent! That "fret sprout" may have been caused by a lack of humidity.... Just trying to be helpful here.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Excellent! That "fret sprout" may have been caused by a lack of humidity.... Just trying to be helpful here.
It definitely was, my home is very dry. I keep my acoustic in its case and humidified but the poor squier has no case and lived on the stand this winter. Entirely my fault.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Interesting approach. I have a MIM Strat that I leave out on a stand and it sprouts during the winter and then settles back during the humid summer.

Please post again this summer when you guitar neck gets humidified again. The Squier neck should be similar to the MIM and I would be curious to see what happens in case I want to do that to mine.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

I have several guitars that have experienced fret sprout in the winter. I file them and it doesn't happen again. They do not look any different in the summer. It is usually the top of the fret that sprouts and not the tang area so it doesn't show on my guitars. It happens on high end guitars too and is a humidity issue. Necks shrink when they dry out. I humidify to 35% during the winter. Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars