The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM

I am a pure newbie, so a lot of the things you mention don't resonate with me at all i'm afraid. I'm not that into it - yet! Any other suggestions for good CHEAP used guitars that would be suitable for a beginner who doesn't even know what a pick-up is?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Smile

sorry. Squire. Thanks for the correction
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM

No offence intended. Just light hearted banter
Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
I am a pure newbie, so a lot of the things you mention don't resonate with me at all i'm afraid. I'm not that into it - yet! Any other suggestions for good CHEAP used guitars that would be suitable for a beginner who doesn't even know what a pick-up is?
How do you define cheap? To me, even when I was a beginner, I bought a guitar that was not the cheapest because IMO if it doesn't play well and sound good, then I won't practice .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 04-07-2014, 02:28 PM

For starters, Squiers (not Squires) have traditionally been at the low end of Fenders guitars in terms of price. Over the years the quality of Squiers has varied as has their place of manufacture. Some Squier models in years past were fairly poor quality but some (especially some Japanese made Squiers) have come to be highly sought after guitars that are recognized as high quality instruments.

Today the Squier line includes guitars that range from Fender's least expensive Bullet range instruments to the Classic Vibe line. The difference in quality from Bullet to Classic Vibe is considerable. Just because both have the Squier name on the headstock does not mean they are comparable instruments. They aren't.

Generally, when looking at Squier models you can assume this hierarchy of quality of instruments:

Classic Vibe> Vintage Modified> Standard> Affinity> Bullet

As for which type of guitar would suit a beginner with small hands, I might suggest looking at one of the short scale Vintage Modified (made in Indonesia)Mustang or Jaguar Squiers. They're reasonably priced, good quality Fender designs and the short scale makes for easier fretting with smaller hands.

Hope that helps.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

Another vote for Squier Classic Vibe series, I own a Telecaster Custom, it is a real nice instrument, fretwork, fit and finish are all just fine, considering its price point $300 ~ it more than delivers. As you grow as a player you can customize it to meet your needs or add another electric into the fold.

I would suggest you go to your local music store or a couple of them, play whatever you are able to get your hands on, even pricier instruments so you can get the feel for what you like and what fits you the best.
Have a store employee play the instrument for you as well. Don't buy it first time you try it, audition it a few times, make sure it is something you like.
If I can add something else that would be buy used, that way if you don't like it you can sell it off without losing a lot of money, most of the time you break even. Do a lot of online research and good luck in your hunt!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks ....while were on this subject- can I switch gears to acoustic guitars? anybody familiar with, or have opinions on "Cort" or "Tradition" brand acoustic guitars?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Sure we can help you with that as well, you will get a lot more of a response if you post in the General Discussion forum.
Cort has a pretty good rap on this forum, not sure on the other brand that you mention.
Another popular maker in the lower price range is Yamaha. For $200 you can buy a guitar with solid top such as a FG700S which is a larger sized guitar in dreadnaught shape, for something smaller they offer FS700S which is an OM sized instrument.
Differences of all laminate to a solid top guitar are big enough that even you as a beginner can notice it. Guitars with solid top resonate more, generally nicer sounding as compared to all laminate aka plywood top guitars.
There are short scale instruments which can range from 23" scale all the way to 25.4" scale length. Variety of body sizes to choose from such as parlor (small) to dreadnought (big).
I would still say play variety, see what you like, remember model numbers and ask about it here - lot of knowledge on this forum.
Good luck, I still love to play and am forever a student of guitar (started playing in 1994).
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 PM

you know ... I appreciate all the advice to try out different models etc. ...but ALL i can do right now is try to strum open strings !! I'd feel like an idiot! haha...
they all sound pretty much the same to me at this stage.
& no, unfortunately i dont really have any friends that play that i could take with me etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
For starters, Squiers...have traditionally been at the low end of Fender's guitars in terms of price. Over the years the quality of Squiers has varied as has their place of manufacture. Some Squier models in years past were fairly poor quality but some (especially some Japanese made Squiers) have come to be highly sought after guitars that are recognized as high quality instruments...Today the Squier line includes guitars that range from Fender's least expensive Bullet range instruments to the Classic Vibe line. The difference in quality from Bullet to Classic Vibe is considerable. Just because both have the Squier name on the headstock does not mean they are comparable instruments. They aren't...
I've got a MIJ '86 Squier Strat that was my main guitar for nearly 25 years - best $200 (brand-new with genuine Fender ABS case) I ever spent, and easily the equal of many American-made versions. That said, I've been extremely impressed by the value-per-dollar ratio of the Classic Vibe lineup, and I'd recommend them without reservation as a first electric that will continue to serve you well even as you progress...
Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Personally, I'd go for one of the upscale Squiers or a mexi Tele. Two pickups, one switch, one volume knob, one tone knob, and no tremolo and associated tuning issues to argue with. Just pick it up, tune up, and play. Very simple, yet surprisingly versatile as you get better.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 AM

I grabbed my first electric a few months ago (similar thread here on AGF).

I picked up a MiM Fender Telecaster. I got it used for less than the cost of the nicer Squiers. It included a padded bag (I'd rather have a case, but oh well).

I also happened to get it mispriced at a big box store, so it included a 30 day warrantee, and also was less than anything similar on craigs list. I used the warrantee to fix a few things and have been very happy with it.

Take your time, enjoy looking, and know what you want. That way, if a deal appears, your ready. (I had already decided what I was going to buy, and when I stumbled on it, there was no hesitation or chance to miss the deal). Turns out, the big box store guy was out on the floor getting ready to correct the price of the guitar when I picked it up and headed to the register. It had only been on the floor for about an hour when I walked in. If I had hesitated I would have lost out!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Classic Vibe Tele owner

When I bought my Classic Vibe from GC last summer it was at the salesman's recommendation, he then asked two other employees and they all said the same thing, it is a better built, better sounding, higher quality guitar than the cheaper Squiers and Mexi Tele's. I bought it for $379.00, so it wasn't the cheapest, I could have had an Epi Les Paul for the same money, but the neck is smooth, the sound is great (with .011's on it and played through a Super X2 Fender amp) and after a set up my teach played it one night and was very impressed with, easily compares to his America Tele. This was my beginner guitar and it has been very easy to play, learn, sits wheel on your leg, and love. I have tender joints and fingers at 68 years old, that's why it was recommended to start with an electric guitar.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 04-08-2014, 01:30 PM

The Classic Vibe Squiers (CV) are nice guitars just stay away from the plain old Squires.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM

When you start talking about electric guitars, don't forget you need an amp (and a guitar cable). I have seen people blow their entire budget on the guitar and are left trying to play through a $25.00 Rouge amp. Save at least $100 so you can get a little Orange Crush or a Roland Cube. If you have the cash, I highly recommend the reissued Fender Champ 600. They are little 6 watt tube amps that make great practice amps no matter what you plug into them. I don't think Fender makes them any more, but you can find them readily used.

In terms of guitar, I would probably go with a Telecaster, either a used Am Std. or a new MIM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars