The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-18-2014, 01:47 PM

I love the T5zs'. So comfortable and really light. TheT5 felt like you were playing a Baritone. Well atleast it did for me... Beautiful T5z you got there
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Lin View Post
Yes. It does even in a solid electric so in a hollow body it would too.
Sounds too much like the undecided debate about hearing the difference between alder and ash body Fenders.
Thinline "72 RI Tele
Fender Pawnshop '72 mij Strat
Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likewood View Post
Sounds too much like the undecided debate about hearing the difference between alder and ash body Fenders.
I wouldn't say so in this case. Particularly because the T5 and T5z first position is an acoustic position that takes advantage of a top sensor located 2 inches beneath the bridge position on the soundboard. This top sensor combined with the neck pickup provides the amplified acoustic tone of the T5 and therefore the tone will vary greatly between mahogany, spruce, maple and Koa.

You can also tell the difference in the other settings though. The guitar is a system and each part contributes to or detracts from the tone of the guitar as well as other things.

Go SPURS Go
Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanks Chris for your quick response.
Given that you have multiple guitars at your fingertips, regardless of wood but comparing the same woods... how do you compare the acoustic sound of the full body T5 to the smaller body T5z ( all things otherwise equal at setting #1) ?
Thinline "72 RI Tele
Old 03-19-2014, 10:44 AM

Through the pickups the T5 has a little more bass response than the T5z with all settings flat in position 1. Unplugged the T5 is louder and fuller than the T5z which is to be expected with the larger soundboard.

Go SPURS Go
Old 03-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Makes sense
Thinline "72 RI Tele
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likewood View Post
Do you remember which T5 did you compare to your T5-s?
I have a T5 standard with a spruce top, the T5z I tried is a first edition one with a koa top.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:23 PM

Not apples and apples, but I am curious about your impression. Did you run it through an an acoustic amp?
Thinline "72 RI Tele
Old 04-14-2014, 05:49 AM

Sweetwater finally had T5z Classics in stock and I bought one last week. It is lighter, a bit more compact, and to my eye a nicer body shape than the A6 Ultra it is replacing. For twice the price of the A6 I've traded an all gloss finish Koa veneered cedar top for satin mahogany and sapele. For the ground both guitars cover, it is roughly a tie; maybe a slight advantage to the A6 for acoustic tones since you can adjust the mag/piezo mix. The bridge magnetic pickup is a big advantage for the T5z. I don't think the T5 electric tones sound particularly like humbuckers or single coils, but they are quite usable and no doubt would be a classic sought after tone had they appeared 50 years earlier :~).

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 PM

I really like the look of T5's. I need to play one though. I'm skeptical they can give me the electric tone I need -- Surf -- Spaghetti Western -- Duane Eddy twang and chord sliding Jazz w/tremolo. I need all 3 sounds. It would be nice to have them all in one guitar.

I love how they look though and they're priced reasonably on EBay.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM

I am debating as we speak wether to get a T5 or a T5z. I like the larger frets of the Z and I am not sure the radius of the T5 fits my smaller hand. However, the price is a lot cheaper for the T5 I am looking at than the Z and since I am in the early learning stages of playing, I am leaning towards the T5 and not the Z, saving the $600 for a rainy day.

In my case it will be played unplugged often, late night practice, so I think the slighter better sound unplugged is a better choice for me.

Opinions? T5z vs T5?

eventually, I would like the T5 to be my Jazzy hollow body, and leave the true electric and acoustic stuff to my Strat and Martin.

thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
I really like the look of T5's. I need to play one though. I'm skeptical they can give me the electric tone I need -- Surf -- Spaghetti Western -- Duane Eddy twang and chord sliding Jazz w/tremolo. I need all 3 sounds. It would be nice to have them all in one guitar.

I love how they look though and they're priced reasonably on EBay.
You probably want a T3/B.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Last week I bought a T5Z Standard and have been very happy with it for both acoustic and electric performance. Anyone considering one of these need to understand it does not sound like a typical electric or acoustic. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t do both very well, because it does, just different.

I would strongly recommend anyone wanting to buy one of these try them out first and understand this is not going to replace your 814 or Tele, but will be a great alternative to both. Clean it can get very close to an acoustic and when played in a live setting I seriously doubt anyone could tell the difference. IMO it’s the electric side that’s so unique. I can dial in a big fat hollow body type tone, or get on the bridge PU, back off the bass and crank out some good ol’ RNR that distorts in a very cool way.

The difference between the T5Z and the T5 are drastic IMO, although I have not played both side by side. When the T5’s first came out I was excited until I played one and just didn’t bond with the feel or sound. The T5Z is what I wanted the T5 to be. Plays, feels and sounds better to me. Similar, but at the same time very different.

If you’re looking for something different, I recommend you give it a go. BTW, Jon speaks very highly of his A6 and I bought one of those a few years ago too, but it didn’t do it for me. IMO the T5Z is in a different league. Just goes to show what that opinions are just that. Everyone needs to try and decide for themselves.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Now that I've gigged a few months with the T5z I have a few more observations.

On a strap it is neck heavy. I was using a poly locking Planet Waves strap and had to switch to a non-locking suede leather strap for less slip. I've ordered a cotton Lock-It strap and maybe that will work too. The strap buttons are slightly oversized which made all the after market strap retainers hard or impossible to get on and off (in particular the Straptights).

The electric tones are more single coil than humbucker but now that I've programmed my amp simulator for the T5z I am quite happy with them.

In a separate thread I documented that the string fuse is easily blown by standard static electric events and I replaced it with a higher value and cheaper 40 mA slow blow fuse. So far I've tested one other ES1 equipped guitar and its fuse was also blown.

I find the cut-away a little too much when seated and sometimes the guitar does not want to comfortably stay on my leg...I've mostly gotten used to it.

It sounds great plugged directly into a small Bluetooth speaker such as a JBL Flip (you will need a 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TS cable -- standard stuff for plugging a guitar into a PC's mic input). With the Flip the T5z becomes acoustic jam worthy (more compact and louder than a dreadnought).

Could be owner's prejudice, but I think the T5z Classic plugged-in tone beats the ES1 in my duo partner's GC8E. The T5z has a brighter high end that sounds more acoustic and less magnetic as you go up the neck (maybe too much ear training from Piezos???).

Overall a perfect solution for my "plugged-in acoustic classic rock" gigs where I want to mostly play acoustic but be electric for solos and songs such as the Beatles "Birthday".

Jon
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-08-2014, 05:34 AM

I've found that the T5s seem to work best with the same kind of EQ that you might use on a Tele.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars