The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Any one played the 2014 Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker?

I'm seriously considering one, just want to gather some opinions

Thanks

Alex Kirtley, UK

Last edited by kirtley2013; 04-17-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Been looking to try one myself - if it sounds anything like my P-90 Studio '60s Tribute it should be a killer...
Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 PM

I was seriously considering one to go with my Gibson LP Studio. I have had that guitar forever. I wanted some P90s but didn't feel like breaking the bank. The MM just didn't have the right feel for me having owned my other Les Paul for ages. Its not bad, its just not a Les Paul.

I actually ended up buying an Agile 3010SE goldtop with P90s and I am seriously happy for half the price of the MM. It sounds and plays amazing, not to mention I've always wanted a P90 equipped goldtop. It also plays and feels just like my Gibson that I already had so the transition is minimal. I play the Agile more than my Gibson now. I just really prefer the sound of it currently. Maybe my tastes will change but I think my humbucker buying days might be over.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM

I loved it.
I always felt the Les Paul was too thick and heavy.

The new MM fit almost like a strat.
I just wish it was in high gloss and didn't have that inlay at the 12th fret.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 AM

Lots of hate'rs out there for that guitar. Not me though. Ive been close to buying 1 many times. Price is right for sure. And I really like the fat 59 style neck that's on them. My hold off is that the P90's are of a new design. I guess there noise cancelling. I really like the good old Gibson P90's that have been around since forever, and if those were in them, I wouldn't hesitate on pulling the trigger. But for my next guitar, I'm thinking I want to build a p90 based Thinline.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars