The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM

I usually play to quieter, contemplative audiences...folks enjoying their coffee and chatting with their friends. Coffee shops and evening dinner venues. For this my Fender Acoustasonic SFX (The Beast) fits my needs. I'm still strong enough to carry it from the car to the venue. Someday something lighter will be needed. To hear it check out my YT vids - pure acoustic tone.
Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 AM

I guess I'd have to say I'm a Bose advocate in their premise, but still have my homebrew version (all due to the price tag). A little bulkier (but higher wattage at 500w/ch), yet it isn't bad for a two person gig...and tolerable for a single person.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4czh7kjzhze92j/PortaPA.jpg

I suppose when I get an opportunity to fine tune it I'll go for a lighter amp. I also plan to build shallower columns, but I'll keep the pipe clamp mounts as the means for mounting and yields an infinite degree of spread-apart for the them. And, eventually add a true sub. Overall, I'm really pleased with the capability of these little TangBand drivers to deliver.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Still going with and very much enjoying my Fishman SA220.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM

For most solo gigs, I have a Yamaha EXM512 with two Yorkville NX35s. Depending on the venue, I use one as a main and one as a monitor, or I use both as mains and use my RCF ART310 as a monitor.

For bigger gigs and trio gigs, we step up to an A&H Mix Wizard, power the NX35s with a QSC GX5, then add two Yorkville LS200P powered subs and a crossover. I still use my ART310 for a monitor - the other guys all have their own powered monitors. This is a nice little setup for smaller gigs, but it wouldn't handle big, loud, outdoor concerts.

Next move will be to move the NX35s to monitor duty, then upgrade the mains (prob to something like JBL PRX612Ms or ART312s and bigger matching subs)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM

For most gigs I use a Mackie HD1221 with Allen and Heath Zed10fx mixer. I put the speaker next to me so I can hear just enough of it, the Zed sits on top of the speaker. I do more gigs than you can count with this set up. If the gig is for a bigger room, I add another HD1221, bigger than that, I add a HD1501 sub. I rarely need to add speakers though.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

A&H Zed 10, with 2 or 3 QSC K10's depending on my coverage needs. I use one K10 as a monitor. Also bring a six space rack with 31 band EQ's to ring out the feedback from the main and monitor mixes. I want to upgrade my mixer to one that has 2 Aux busses, so I can also start using the TCE M-300 effects unit that's in the rack.

It's not exactly a minimal setup, but the sound quality and room control makes it worth the trouble.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Fishman SA220. I won't even consider anything else.

Fortunately, my duo buddy also has one so that makes life VERY easy for the both of us!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
For most gigs I use a Mackie HD1221 with Allen and Heath Zed10fx mixer. I put the speaker next to me so I can hear just enough of it, the Zed sits on top of the speaker. I do more gigs than you can count with this set up. If the gig is for a bigger room, I add another HD1221, bigger than that, I add a HD1501 sub. I rarely need to add speakers though.

Got any pics from the front? I'm trying to figure out exactly where your speaker is relative to you that you can still hear it. It covers well sitting on the floor like that?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM

I use the Bose L1 at one place and a Fishman Mini at the other.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Got any pics from the front? I'm trying to figure out exactly where your speaker is relative to you that you can still hear it. It covers well sitting on the floor like that?
Yes, the speaker covers well from the floor, but some times I raise it off of the floor just a few inches, in cases where it's coupling with the floor. I just set the speaker on my rolling cart (I lock the wheels). In my one speaker setup, the speaker is always to my right, with the grill slightly forward of me, and slightly canted towards me. I taught my self to compensate for what it sounds like, by setting my tone and volume while standing in front of the speaker, then getting to the side of it and listening what that sounded like. Eventually I could dial it from the side knowing what I was listening for, and now I don't have the extra volume of a monitor speaker, and the out of phase sounds bouncing of the back walls of places I play. I read an article where Bob Brozman said monitor speakers were responsible for all sorts of sound anamolies, and now I agree with him. I constantly get compliments on my sound from pros and novices alike. And I have little to no problems with feedback!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 AM

Default BATTERY or AC

Battery are 2 Street Cubes set up Vertically in a custom flanged holder
MRT3 Drum machine into a VOX DA20 .

AC SA220 with Marshall AS50D( guitar only ) at bottom for more bottom end off the 8 inch speakers , drum machine same into the DA20

Vocals Boss VE5 Processor , Samson Q7 mic , Zoom A2 guitar processor
Mic Stand are all quick locks , no more extra mic tube hanging out, clean set up . FG730s Baggs M1
Old 07-12-2013, 02:45 AM

double post by mistake
Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&m...sid=420&cid=94#

First off, totally agree with Gibby guy above. Still have that exact amp Acoustasonic and LUV LUV LUV it. Only problem with it is no xlr out on those early editions and the sound quality although I like it, it pales in comparison to my latest edition the Genz Benz. The BOMB of all guitar amps as far as I'm concerned. More features, sound quality and versatility than any other amp I've ever used. Lightweight? No..51 lbs. But the capabilities this thing has from big power when needed and when you need a little more you can run line out to say a couple of quality self powered's like the JBL Eon's / Mackie SM 450's etc. This set up I've used a couple of times and was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!! Avoided having to lug mixers and such for just a 2 man show and had enough power...real power for a room of about 150. 2 people - 2 trips to and from the car and unbelieveable sound. I also very few pre-effects such as a Radial J48 and the amps own coloring and that's it.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM

My little effects board straight into a single QSC K10. Perfect!
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 07-12-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I picked up a used Bose L1 Model I Classic for a good price a few years back... included one of the B1 (subwoofer) cabinets...

The thing sounds wonderful for acoustic guitar and voice... has a very different sound than your standard "point and shoot" PA system, of which I have owned many... the Bose seems to "surround" the listener and spreads through the room in the most remarkable fashion... as opposed to blasting the sound out of a couple speakers and having the volume be too much for anyone close to the stage, while not quite loud and clear enough for someone a fair distance away...

All I can say is that I am totally sold on the Bose PA systems, the big ones, anyway; can't speak to the smaller units, as I have no experience with them. Prior to owning this Bose L1, I was NOT a Bose fan, in any way, shape or form... and my Bose will blow one of the Fishman units out of the water - I know, not an apt comparison... the L1 breaks down into 4 smallish, carryable pieces (in fairly heavyweight bags), with the heaviest piece being 30#'s, then the B1 at 22#'s, the speaker tower (2 pieces) at about 15#'s each...

Gets my vote! They aren't bulletproof or completely trouble-free (as far as eq'ing and feedback), but darn near...
..you're right about aptness in comparison to the sa220...the bose L1 model 1 with sub runs about $3500.00...the sa220...$995....it BETTER be better...the only concern that most have with the sa220 is that in large venues...it does tend to need a bit more volume...what I do is just hook up to the main PA....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification