The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 AM

Default This is how I restring an acoustic. How do you do it?

I run the string thru the tuner post hole, pull it tight, then at the bridge I pull the string up away from the guitar about 2.5 inches. I then use a capo on the nut of the guitar to hold the string down at that end while with one hand I guide the string's position at the head stock while I wind the tuner with my other hand. I've found having 3 or 4 revolutions around the tuner post holds the string nicely. I then remove the excess string (using a trick that my buddy Jay Pilkington showed me) by bending the string back and forth until the metal fatigues and the string snaps off flush with the tuner post (no need for wire cutters - and no sharp string ends to prick your fingers on). There are a few different approaches to stringing an acoustic, but this is the one I prefer - and I like the way it looks.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I prefer the Taylor method (which was what I was actually doing many years before) where the string passing through the tuner post hole gets locked by a string wrap above and below.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 AM

Close for me.

After pulling the string the whole way through the post, I pull the string down one fret for slack and a consistent wrap.

Then, when winding, I make the first wrap over the hole in the post and the rest (usually two) under the hole in the post to "lock" the string.

Because the bend back method always leaves me with a bloody finger on the B and E strings when removing them. OUch.

max
Old 02-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I prefer the Taylor method (which was what I was actually doing many years before) where the string passing through the tuner post hole gets locked by a string wrap above and below.
Ditto - since the 70's!

I also bend the string straight up in the air, leaving about 1/2", then I bend it over at a 90 degree angle so I don't get poked by that nasty B string!!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I then remove the excess string (using a trick that my buddy Jay Pilkington showed me) by bending the string back and forth until the metal fatigues and the string snaps off flush with the tuner post (no need for wire cutters - and no sharp string ends to prick your fingers on).
Doing that there is a risk of the string slipping out and becoming unwound.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 02-01-2014, 12:08 PM

My first attempt at the Taylor method of cutting the strings off at the next post before winding had me throwing a new set of Martin coateds in the garbage can. I used to be a carpenter too. What's the old saying? I cut the board too short so I cut it again and it was still too short.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 PM

I use the Martin method described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIzVdvzn8d8

I place a capo at the first fret to keep the string pulled tight and then guide it onto the post with a finger. Pretty easy and fairly quick.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

My method doesnt look pretty but it works for me.

Pull the string through the post but leave a little slack. Twist the string backwards around the post then pull it under the string so the string tension holds it in place. Then wrap.

Todd
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
I use the Martin method described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIzVdvzn8d8

I place a capo at the first fret to keep the string pulled tight and then guide it onto the post with a finger. Pretty easy and fairly quick.
I use the same method, minus the capo. Used to hate changing strings before I started with this, but not anymore.

Also use a B&D electric screwdriver with Planet Waves Drill Bit Peg Winder. Much less awkward (and faster) than turning by hand or with a crank style winder.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I then remove the excess string (using a trick that my buddy Jay Pilkington showed me) by bending the string back and forth until the metal fatigues and the string snaps off flush with the tuner post
I like this trick because it leaves no sharp ends, but sometimes the high E comes off because of a lack of friction.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:37 PM

My approach:

1. Walk around the room cursing not being able to find either of my stringwinders.
2. Take breaths as heart begins to race when make-do pliers are held above cedar top with thin finish.
3. Begin cursing as nut falls off revealing haphazard glue and the stubborn refusal of manufacturers to keep the glue between fretboard edge and nut where it's more easily cleaned off.
4. A week's worth of sweat gathers on fingers, as if queuing up to destroy my Rotosounds.
5. On the way back from the sink, or faucet, a week's worth of sweat gathers on fingers, as if queuing up to destroy me.
6. Stab fingers with E and B string ends.
7. Trip to sink/ faucet
8. Curse downstairs' dog, who has started to bark because of my footsteps.
8b. Curse dogs on bottom floor, who have started to bark to their comrade.
8c. Curse dogs across the street, who have sniffed revolution.
9. Briefly consider vampire career at the delicious smell of blood running down the headstock and nut.
10. Tune up to Eb standard, to what I assume is still Eb on another guitar in chemically unstable home. (Transpires later to be blue note between C and C#.)
11. Play a few chords and single notes. Curse slightly disappointing strings while ignoring meekness of picking, price of guitar, and general neurotically over-communitarian approach to guitar playing while living in cheap flats.
12. Run through my reportoire - 50% own doodles, 50% Neil Young. Taxing.
13. Forget to clean strings.
14. Begin wondering about taking a hair or two off the saddle height.
15. Saddle and strings ruined. Loop back to 1.

It works for me anyway.

Last edited by tpprynn; 02-01-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Frightful spelling mistake
Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeaddict View Post
Doing that there is a risk of the string slipping out and becoming unwound.
I've strung my guitars like the OP with no such problems for close to 60 years.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
I've strung my guitars like the OP with no such problems for close to 60 years.
'bout time you put some new strings on then eh? They've advanced a bit over the last 60 years
Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpprynn View Post
My approach:

1. Walk around the room cursing not being able to find either of my stringwinders.
2. Take breaths as heart begins to race when make-do pliers are held above cedar top with thin finish.
3. Begin cursing as nut falls off revealing haphazard glue and the stubborn refusal of manufacturers to keep the glue between fretboard ede and nut where it's more easily cleaned off.
4. A week's worth of sweat gathers on fingers, as if queuing up to destroy my Rotosounds.
5. On the way back from the sink, or faucet, a week's worth of sweat gathers on fingers, as if queuing up to destroy me.
7. Trip to sink/ faucet
9. Briefly consider vampire career at the delicious smell of blood running down the headstock and nut.
10. Tune up to Eb standard, to what I assume is still Eb on another guitar in chemically unstable home. (Transpires later to be blue note between C and C#.)
11. Play a few chords and single notes. Curse slightly disappointing strings while ignoring meekness of picking, price of guitar, and general neurotically over-communitarian approach to guitar playing while living in cheap flats.

It works for me anyway.
That was classic!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpprynn View Post
My approach:

3. Begin cursing as nut falls off revealing haphazard glue and the stubborn refusal of manufacturers to keep the glue between fretboard ede and nut where it's more easily cleaned off.
7. Trip to sink/ faucet

It works for me anyway.
GREAT! The important thing is that you have a system.

Mine is less frustrating, involving Guitar Center and $20.

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion