The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Garrison guitars: Long-term problems?

I went to the big city today looking for an inexpensive acoustic (no electronics) to play around the house, in the office, and in small, unamplified jams. Something I can keep out on a stand without worrying about it.

The Garrisons looked pretty good. Good price. Decent playability. Acceptable tone for what I would use it for. I talked to my favorite guitar salesman about it and asked, "How about those Garrisons? What do you hear about them? Would one of them work for this?"

Now, this store used to stock a lot of Garrisons. Now, they only have four and they were no longer on the "main" aisle. It seemed obvious that they were phasing out the brand -- and he said as much. But he also said, "We are finding too many long-term problems with Garrison guitars. I wouldn't recommend that you buy one. We probably won't handle them much longer. Let me show you this Epiphone . . . ."

Does anyone here know of any long-term problems with Garrison guitars? Are they a problem or was he just steering me to the Epi? (Garrison's prices are pretty good for what you get. I would sure like to hear some good news about them.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2004, 08:38 PM

I stumbled on the Garrison line out here while searching for a 12'er. Prices were too good to be true for an all wood guitar. They seem well constructed, played ok, and sounded ok, especially considering the price. But the salesman seemed to be pushing the brand too much...(get it out of the door).
Old 07-15-2004, 10:26 PM

A guitar shop I have gone to used to handle Garrison too but stopped carrying them. They are not quite all wood. The outer shell is wood with internal bracing( skeleton actually) is plastic. Maybe has something to do with long term problems
Lee
Old 07-15-2004, 11:04 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I believe the bracing is referred to as "glass fibre". Fiberglass?
http://www.garrisonguitars.com/bracing.html
I have not heard of any long term problems with Garrison guitars, but then I don't think they have been around a very long time.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion