The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Default Help - Need new software

New computer runs Windows vista and my old recording software won't run on it. I have always used Cakewalk products and have some files I'd like to be able to keep using, but I also like the idea of having an all in one package like RealBand instead of having to create Band -in-a-box backing tracks separately and convert them to wav. Also, I want a program that can create harmony vocal tracks.

Anyone know which, if any, Cakewalk products include a harmonizer? Anyone know how capable the audio recording features of RealBand are?
Any suggestions for other programs-protools LE, Cubase, etc? I have no experience with these. I don't need the very best - my recordings are usually less than 10 tracks and not really complicated, and the only midi tracks are typically drums and BIAB backing - I'm not a keyboardist.

Thanks.

Last edited by ELK; 12-13-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Anybody? I could really use some input here. What programs are you using and why do you like them?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Tryin' to figure it out

I have no experience with BIAB-like products, however, if you are looking for a multi-tracker/sequencer, Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm) is definitely worth a look. Great tool, small footprint, and lots of features.

I also use Adobe Audition pretty heavily, but its MIDI capabilities are still coming up to snuff.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:13 AM

Well I settled on Sonar 8. It's a substantial step up from HomeStudio XL and features better quality effects, including Lexicon based reverb, so it should be fun learning to work with it. I stayed with a Cakewalk product so I could use my existing CW files and continue to edit tracks I have already recorded. After looking at ProTools, I'm convenced that Sonor 8 and ProTools are generally in the same league, and since I'm familiar with the design of Cakewalk's products, I saw no need to start from scratch.

I found out my version of Band in a Box will run on Vista with the latest patches installed, so there was no need to replace that.

There was also a driver upgrade to run my M Audio interface on Vista.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM

And if you find any software that add vocal harmonies, let me know, I've been looking for something like that.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 AM

There are a number of plug-in harmonizers available to use with your existing software, such as this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...onyEng/#anchor

I was just looking for DAW software that already had a harmonizer built into it, since I had to buy a new DAW anyway and didn't want to spend the money for two separate software packages. If you just want to add a harmony generator to the software you are presently using, a plug-in should be fine.

Also note that Band in a Box has a TC-Helicon harmonizer built into it, but it won't plug into your DAW. You have to save your DAW audio track as a wav file and import it into BIAB to use it, then save the new harmony tracks and import them back into your DAW.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK View Post
There are a number of plug-in harmonizers available to use with your existing software, such as this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...onyEng/#anchor
Yikes, that Antares plugin is $300.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELK View Post
... Also, I want a program that can create harmony vocal tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
And if you find any software that add vocal harmonies, let me know, I've been looking for something like that.
??? You are multitracking, no? Why don't you just sing & record additional harmony vocal tracks?

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."
Old 12-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbean View Post
??? You are multitracking, no? Why don't you just sing & record additional harmony vocal tracks?

mud
Easier said than done...... Singing harmony ain't that easy.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:39 AM

The number one biggy is (IMO and the opinion of studio owners) that to have the best DAW (and stable DAW) you want, is that you really need Windows XP....

When I went to build my new dedicated DAW I had a wild idea and installed Vista 64...The headaches began.... 99% of my VST's didn't work...Why (and I new this going in just totally forgot) because VST's are built in the 32 bit platform...And like I said I knew this but just had a very bad brain fart....

Your best bet is using Windows XP... It is the most stable with any DAW system and is what is recommended...(not saying that Vista 32 won't work but it isn't as stable as XP)

The best vocal correction VST hands down is "Melodyne"...You won't find a better vocal correction software and can also be used to correct lead guitar parts or any other similar parts...( the new Melodyne DNA (Direct Note Access) will be a dream come true)..Sonar 6,7, & 8 has "V-vocal" built into it which is a decent correction tool...

If you want a harmonizer vst Anatares makes one but in my opinion sounds too digitized..

The software you are using Cakewalk, is absolutely ideal...I use Sonar Producer 8 and is more than a step up from Home Stdio Xl...And IMO you won't find a more user friendly DAW besides REAPER..

Pro Tools are hardware specific and can not be used with anything other than Digidesign hardware. And you won't be able to use anything but RTAS plug-ins and NO VST plug-ins....So unless you are willing to fork out a LOT of money and are going into this to make money I wouldn't recommend Pro Tools.... Now some of the lower line of Digidesign systems provide you a copy of Pro Tools LE (Light Edition) but "LE" is the Key word here...

My system looks like this (and is modest compared to some):

E-mu 1616m (both desktop and laptop versions)..This has the same high end converters as Pro Tools and has built in Hardware DSP system
Grace 101m Pre-amp
FMR RNC (Really Nice Compressor)
Lexicon MX200

Some of my plugs include:

Melodyne
Waves Mercury Bundle
Waves Master Bundle
Wizooverb (IMO the best reverb VST made)
Abbey Road Plug-ins
Izotope Ozone
Wave Arts Power Suite

VSTi's:

Rapture
Dimension Pro
Luxonix Ravity(very underrated VSTi)
Bandstand

My next purchase will be the new UAD card....

If you want some incredible plug-ins at incredible prices...You can not go wrong with any of the Voxengo plug-ins

There are a lot of inexpensive hardware tools out there under $200....
Lexicon, Alesis, Inspire,M-Audio,Edirol, Presonus, Audiophile,

Some inexpensive cards that run Pro tools: M-audio Delta 66,Fast Track Pro all under $200

Just depends on how much you want to spend and how serious you want to get into it....
IF you just want to track stuff then any of the above inexpensive units will do...

This is just my opinion and others may be able to add some additional nfo for you..There is a wealth of talent here on this forum with a wealth of nfo...

Ken
Fender 52 RI Tele
Fender 50th Anniversary Tele
Gibson 2009 Les Paul Traditional
Gibson 2012 Les Paul 70's Tribute
Nord Electro 3 73
Yamaha Moxf
Dr.Z Stang Ray [Head]
Dr.Z Carmen Ghia [Head]
ZWreck cab
Dr.Z 1x12 Cab
---------------------------
Sheldon Road

Last edited by MuzicMaKen; 12-22-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks MuzicMaKen. I have found what you said about the VSP's to be true - they didn't work on my Vista 64 bit system, even when I run my old software in XP compatibility mode. I am hoping that since Sonar 8 is made to work with a 64 bit system it will ALL work.

That said, is there anything I can do if it doesn't? I have only one computer and it came with Vista 64 bit. I have heard tales of software that will modify the OS, but I know nothing about it.

I appreciate your review of Sonar, it's encouraging. I'm eager to start working with it, but I guess with the Christmas season deliveries are taking a bit longer.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 PM

Sonar 8 64bit still will not fix your 32 bit VST problem...

Only the VST's written within Sonar 8 (64) will be able to work within your Vista 64..

Like I stated above in order for your old VST's (32bit) to work you may need to fall back on Windows XP...

You can Dual boot vista and Xp....It works great...

If you have to use any software to modify your OS you are just asking for trouble which means your system would
likely be unstable thus more problems with in your DAW which means downtime in your work...
Fender 52 RI Tele
Nord Electro 3 73
Yamaha Moxf
Dr.Z Stang Ray [Head]
Dr.Z Carmen Ghia [Head]
ZWreck cab
Dr.Z 1x12 Cab
Sheldon Road
Old 12-23-2008, 08:36 AM

A note on the M-audio drivers - they only work for 32 bit vista. There are no drivers to run a mobile pre (or most other M-audio devices) on 64 bit vista.

So I ordered an Edirol interface that runs on 64 bit vista. It's the UA-4FX. It features a number of built in guitar effects, which I don't know whether I'll use. I mainly got it for the 64 bit compatibility. It does have a mic preamp, phantom power (which I need for my condenser mic) and some other nice features, and the reviews on it are positive. Is anyone here using one?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Good luck..Edirol is a good choice (also partners with Cakewalk) but remember you still will not have many options with 64bit vst's..

Good luck and enjoy recording!!!
Fender 52 RI Tele
Nord Electro 3 73
Yamaha Moxf
Dr.Z Stang Ray [Head]
Dr.Z Carmen Ghia [Head]
ZWreck cab
Dr.Z 1x12 Cab
Sheldon Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell