The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-08-2023, 09:26 AM

IMO the best semi hollows out there are the Yamaha SA2200 guitars. At $2100 street price for a new one they aren't cheap, but boy are they the cats meow.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-08-2023, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Richard, glad you got to play an Eastman Thinline (T484).

lgherb, I've had a 2016 T185MX for nearly five years, but mostly play acoustic, so it hasn't gotten much time from me. But every time I pick it up and plug in, I'm so impressed with this guitar. It's incredibly resonant with great tone and sustain. One of my goals for 2023 is to get back into playing my electric guitars, so hopefully, that means more time with my T185MX.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:00 PM

Reviving this thread.

About a year or so ago I purchased my 1st true electric guitar since the 70’s. An Eastman t486 gold burst. Also a positive grid amp to go with. The goal was to get the widest neck on a production electric (1-3/4” nut). Time got away from me with the duo and hadn’t used it much. Fast forward to late Jan this year. We gave the duo a rest and my acoustics in the shop for much needed fret work. Taking advantage of the down time I’ve begun my journey with new weapons to finally learn lead guitar skills. Something very foreign to my world of bass player. All I can say is WOW. This is a really great guitar. Keep in mind I have no experience with any other electric guitars available and not making a statement in that area but, WOW. I do know a good guitar when it’s in my hands. Out of the box, playability, finish, looks, sound. I highly recommend anyone looking for an amazing value for you dollar, here it is!

https://guitar.com/reviews/electric-...486-goldburst/

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 02-29-2024, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Wasn't in the market for another electric, but was pleasantly surprised when I tried my Eastman T185MX. The build quality is excellent, I love the neck, and the pickups sound great. Unlike the comparable spec Gibson, the top is solid wood.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-01-2024, 05:02 AM

I've got a T/64 which is a 330 copy (ish)
It's a great guitar and the Lindy Frailin P90's are outstanding. Love the Ebony board and the wider neck but I'd prefer it to be thicker. It also came sans pick guard but Coda music in the U.K. have kindly sourced me one direct from Eastman though it'll take three months to arrive.
The Eastman gets played a lot! It's great unplugged and perfect for everything I play, and has a particular nice jazz sound. The ivoroid binding is a thing of beauty.
if you're looking for a quality semi without the outlay for a big name USA guitar, I would definitely recommend checking Eastman out. You'd have to be very set in your ways to be disappointed.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I'm the original poster on this thread, thought I'd provide an update since it's been revived.

I bought the T48v and found that it was every bit as good as my Gibson 335. Actually a little better with the SD Antiquity pick-ups and the slight aging. I also really like the wider neck.

I traded the ES 335 for a Martin 00 28 in an even swap with one of the forum members.

Both the Eastman and the Martin are keepers.
Eastman T59 V A
Tele Partscaster
84' Japanese Fender Strat
Old 03-10-2024, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
I've got a T/64 which is a 330 copy (ish)

It's a great guitar and the Lindy Frailin P90's are outstanding. Love the Ebony board and the wider neck but I'd prefer it to be thicker. It also came sans pick guard but Coda music in the U.K. have kindly sourced me one direct from Eastman though it'll take three months to arrive.

The Eastman gets played a lot! It's great unplugged and perfect for everything I play, and has a particular nice jazz sound. The ivoroid binding is a thing of beauty.

if you're looking for a quality semi without the outlay for a big name USA guitar, I would definitely recommend checking Eastman out. You'd have to be very set in your ways to be disappointed.

I’d love one,nice to hear the opinion of someone who has one
Old 03-13-2024, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigier View Post
I’d love one,nice to hear the opinion of someone who has one
Well I don't think you'd be disappointed with one. I was (and probably still am) a bit of a name snob but the quality of these Eastmans are unquestionably first rate. Funnily enough I also have a Chinese Squier (Simon Neil Strat) and its equal to any USA Start I've ever played. Northfield mandolins (made in China) fabulous instruments too.
A great instrument is not dependent on where it was made but by who made it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars