The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Default D-1GT Vs. D-15M Update

Well I went to GC today and played the D-15M again for another hour. I did not want to put it down. The guitar felt and sounded just right. So the verdict is. I traded in the D-1GT and bought the D-15M. Extremely happy with the decision. I will be picking it up between Monday and Wednesday this week. I am having a strap holder loke a Taylor on the guitar and having the neck checked/ set up and insisted a brand new out of the box Martin SP Long life strings. When I get the guitar home I will post pictures.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Congrats bro! Looks like you are fully stocked with some awesome dreads!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM

Thanks Kcnbys:

My Dread Arsenal is now complete. I really own a bunch of different unique sounds and expression. The D-15M is really one sweet sounding guitar that truly is fun to play. Can't wait to get her home in the next couple of Days.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM

It's hard to beat a good D15M they sound so good so balanced one of the best buys in the Martin line up...enjoy your D15M.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM

Congratulations on buying a D-15M. You'll love it! I'm just not sure I would've traded in the D-1GT unless they offered you a great trade-in on it. How old was the D-1GT?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM

I was just under the 30 day return warrenty from GC so I gotten full value on it and paid the differnce between the two minus 10 % discount on the new guitar. So about $250 out of pocket and the deal done. There is a history on this guitar and I will save this story for another day. I am truly happy with my decision. An all Hog is really sweet sounding and I just feel right with this guitar.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDogs62 View Post
I was just under the 30 day return warrenty from GC so I gotten full value on it and paid the differnce between the two minus 10 % discount on the new guitar. So about $250 out of pocket and the deal done. There is a history on this guitar and I will save this story for another day. I am truly happy with my decision. An all Hog is really sweet sounding and I just feel right with this guitar.
Happy for you man!
I tried the d15m many times.
Looking forward to pictures.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Good deal, then. In that case I would've done the same thing. Enjoy that new D-15M........and be sure to smell it when you take it out of its case...mmm, good!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM

Hi Opa John:

I was not planning to take a beating on this guitar at GC. It made sense to return and upgrade and get the full amount of money I paid vs. taking a beating and getting paid minimum when the guitar is worth more than that. I can't imagine buying a $1200 guitar and then trading it in for half or less the price to upgrade. If that was the case I could of bought myself a D-41 when the whole deal was done. This made sence to me and the wife had no issue and thought it made sence too. This way I only spent a minimal amount out of pocket and feel I gotten a way nicer guitar IMHO.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Hi Opa John:

I was not planning to take a beating on this guitar at GC. It made sense to return and upgrade and get the full amount of money I paid vs. taking a beating and getting paid minimum when the guitar is worth more than that.
You got a really good deal and I'm happy for you, but I kinda worked it the other way. I bought my 2012 D-15M when it was three months old in October of 2012. The original owner had purchased it new at GC and wanted to trade it back in on a higher priced (but not much higher) guitar. Since he'd already had it for three months, GC only offered him $500 trade-in allowance and he chose to sell it to me for $550 instead of letting GC have it back. I swear, it's in mint conditon and so is the case. I couldn't be happier.

I got a very similar deal on a used Martin DM just a couple of years ago. I used to buy only new guitars. Not anymore.....I'd rather let the first buyer take the big "hit". Too many great deals on used guitars these days to pay "new" price.

I know you don't get that Martin warranty when you purchase used, but I'll take that chance to save a bundle. I just happen to know a very good luthier, who does work for very economical prices, and he's also a Martin dealer.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Yes that is another way for a good deal. I honestly believe if you take good care of your guitar and keep it in best condition as possible that you can sale it at a higher price in the classifieds section like our forum here. Long as know how much the guitar is worth when you first bought it. I know that you can't get full cost that you would pay in stores, but a heck of a lot better than what GC quotes you for. People forget that they quote you a price and that they are going to mark it up so they can still make money on it as well. Now far as buying a guitar like you did, I am with you on that. If the guitar is in that good of condition and the price is right, buy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion