The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodiscmcc View Post
I have done a lot of searching for a all solid guitar under $600. After reading a ton of forums, and checking out the options, i decided on a ro-127. All solid rosewood back and sides for the price point sounded unreal.

My ultimate goal was to replace my martin 000-16gt, which i found too bright and not a good choice for flatpicking. I was choosing my 000 yamaha fg-170 over this for playability. The yamaha was a 24.9 scale and laminate, the martin 000-16gt was 25.5 and solid mahogany, so i figured i liked the shorter scale. I also played a friends martin SWOMGT with a 24.9 scale, liked the sound, but not the neck. I have a really nice froggy bottom dread i use when playing with other people, but I like something smaller and more comfortable to leave out around the house so i can play anytime.

This RO127 was just what i needed. The playability is fantastic, the soft v is very comfortable. Sound is very full and louder than i expected. Sound is getting better daily as it opens up. I can bang it around and not worry.

I was so impressed i picked up another Ro126 for my son. Give these a try and if you like what you hear join the club. I doubt you can find a better built guitar for the money.
welcome to the AGF.

I still have mine and these are remarkable guitars. If I may ask where did you get yours and did it come with a good setup.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Love Recording Kings

I would run out and buy a Recording King today if I could find the right specs. The ROJ-27 comes close but I'm looking for a natural finish and a low-profile Taylor-like neck.

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time trying Recording Kings, Martins, and Larrivees. I was really surprised at the results. One of the Recording Kings (I think it was the ROS-627 spruce/rosewood) was better than every Martin I tried---just amazingly rich and resonant. The only guitars that were better than the RC were some $4500 Larrivees, and I would say that the RC had about 80% of the sound of the Larrivees, which is really not bad.

That experiment just amazed me. Now if only Recording King would modernize their specs a bit (neck) and stop tinting the tops egg-yolk yellow.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Default Turp...

not that you asked me, but I found that my RO-126 played much better after I had an action job by a local guitar tech. It was very playable as sent but the extra work (some as noted below) made a good guitar into a great guitar for me.

I had it set up for EXP 19s, some fretwork done (needed some sharp edges cleaned up) and added some bone pins.

I have rarely put it down since.

I like the "aged" toner on mine. I do wish however that RK had done an nitrocellulose finish on this series.

But for the price I paid, this is a wonderful guitar.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion