The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-05-2016, 04:45 PM

Default When To Change Nylon Strings

I've played steel string guitars for many years but have only recently started performing with my Godin Multiac Nylon string guitar.

I don't hear a drop in brightness on the aging wound strings like I do on a steel string guitar. Mostly, I notice if the string windings start to unravel at the bridge or at fret marker - then I know it will break soon!

Can you give me any pointers on when or how often you change nylon strings? I have been using Savarez 520Rs.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Bass strings start to get thumpy when they are near the end of their life. Hard to explain, but when they are new there is good attack and the note is clear quickly. When old there is a thump before you get that clear note. Also, just on general principle, strings under tension for 6 months are probably going to be iffy. My opinion!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Worked for my nylon strings, revived the presence...
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 02-06-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucker View Post
I've played steel string guitars for many years but have only recently started performing with my Godin Multiac Nylon string guitar.

I don't hear a drop in brightness on the aging wound strings like I do on a steel string guitar. Mostly, I notice if the string windings start to unravel at the bridge or at fret marker - then I know it will break soon!

Can you give me any pointers on when or how often you change nylon strings? I have been using Savarez 520Rs.
The number 1 reason for string deterioration is body chemistry. For some reason strings deteriorate on men sooner than women. Especially if you drink a lot of coffee. I can get about 90 Hours of playing off a string.

I change one string on my guitar every Saturday. So no string is over six weeks old. But I can tell you, it is a sad day on Saturday when the string to be replaced is the best sounding string on the whole guitar. Mine usually peak out at about six weeks (which for me is about 90 hours.)

Last edited by oldtimeblues; 02-06-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:43 AM

I find the trebles last longer than the basses and the 4th string with the most delicate windings is the first to go. That said, when the basses show a lot of wear, I usually replace the entire set.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM

I use the GHS nickel wound. They retain their visual brightness for a very long time and wear much better than their silver plated brethren. When the bass windings show fret wire contact wear I change them.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 AM

A lot depends on how much you practice and play. Sound had a lot to do with it but the risk of them breaking in the middle of a performance is the other. For some reason it is always my D string that breaks. Everyone will probably have a different opinion. I practice about 3 to 4 hours a day and play for three hours at a performance about once a week. I change my strings once a month.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I change my nylon strings (Savarez Alliance CORUM HT) when they start to sound bad. "Bad" being defined as not as good as when they settled down (stretched) and sounded, well, good. Not scientific but I haven't broken a string yet and get pretty consistent sound this way.

Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical