The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2020, 05:30 AM

Default How to Load a Third Party IR into ToneDexter?

I know it has been referred to in previous threads. I don't own one at the moment (though there is a new one on eBay for $275 right now!), but I am being asked how to do it.

Thanks!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I would think you'd get the best info if you went to James May directly - I wouldn't follow any advice that doesn't match his, since he designed the Tonedexter -
Old 04-15-2020, 09:43 AM

I don’t think it is possible. I read somewhere that They use a proprietary format.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 04-15-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:24 PM

I think if I'd developed something proprietary like the TD I wouldn't be passing round the wherewithal to sidestep my USP.

If JM were to spill the beans on this one (assuming there are beans to spill) then I would spend many hours (again) playing with the final possibilities of the TD but I think I'd also understand if he chose not to.

On a related topic, I've not yet exhausted the possibilities with the Mooer Radar and I've recently been messing with the options offered by the power amp simulation which I was expecting to be redundant but it's well worth exploring for matching valve (tube) types with various IRs.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I know it has been referred to in previous threads. I don't own one at the moment (though there is a new one on eBay for $275 right now!), but I am being asked how to do it.

Thanks!
Yep I have this done with the IR's that I created with your algorithm. My first 10 TD slots are all custom IR's. I didn't do anything special, just followed their file transfer procedure which is located here: https://audiosprockets.com/tonedexter/wavemap-transfer/

It's true TD uses its own proprietary file type (wm file) which probably stands for wavemap file not windows media file. I'm unable to open those file types with any of my audio software. I upload my custom IR's as WAV files to TD and it works fine. Whether its supposed to is another story.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:38 AM

Doesn't work for me using Firmware 1.62

Rename my IRs as 01, 02, 03 (keep the file ending as .wav)
Copy onto a Fat32 SD card with the folder WRITE on it as well as the app.bin file from the Transfer Utility folder (GEN).

Boot up with SD card in - goes through the process.

Turn off, use SD card with firmware on it, reboot TD - no files in slots 01, 02, 03. (Have tried it with changing .wav to .WM and .WAV, with full file names or numbers). The only files that transfer are ones that are MADE in TD and have the .WM file ending.

Shame as I wanted to 'treat' my guitar's IRs and load them up......

Last edited by JazzyJ; 04-16-2020 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
Doesn't work for me using Firmware 1.62

Rename my IRs as 01, 02, 03 (keep the file ending as .wav)
Copy onto a Fat32 SD card with the folder WRITE on it as well as the app.bin file from the Transfer Utility folder (GEN).

Boot up with SD card in - goes through the process.

Turn off, use SD card with firmware on it, reboot TD - no files in slots 01, 02, 03. (Have tried it with changing .wav to .WM and .WAV, with full file names or numbers). The only files that transfer are ones that are MADE in TD and have the .WM file ending.

Shame as I wanted to 'treat' my guitar's IRs and load them up......
I'm pretty sure I'm also running v1.62 but I'll have to double check when I get home. I just noticed that v1.64 is now available. I don't see this being your issue though. Like I said above I didn't do anything special. Just to narrow down what could be your issue, when you run Jon's process it creates 3 IR's (50/50 blend, a 1024 and 2048). I'm using the 2048 file. I just rename it to 01, 02, 03 or whatever, copy it to the WRITE folder on my SDCARD and put it in Tonedexter, sounds like that's what you're doing.

Maybe you should try the procedure again and/or put a normal wavemap from a different slot just to see if it's actually transferring the files ok. Also, maybe try another SDCARD if you have one.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:15 AM

The .WD files all load up, back and for no problem. Jon's IR's won't load for me. None of them, whether they have the .wav original ending or if they're .WD

However, a TD WM file will happily load in the same transfer.

I love the TD and am over the moon with it. But wanted to experiment in my DAW with treating some of the IRs and loading them into TD.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
The .WD files all load up, back and for no problem. Jon's IR's won't load for me. None of them, whether they have the .wav original ending or if they're .WD

However, a TD WM file will happily load in the same transfer.

I love the TD and am over the moon with it. But wanted to experiment in my DAW with treating some of the IRs and loading them into TD.
Well that's rather odd. I was going to tell you to make sure the app.bin is on the root of the card but it must be if it can transfer regular wavemaps. Honestly don't know what else to tell you. I have notch filters and all kinds of other EQ'ing done to my IR's and it all works fine loaded into TD. All I can say is keep trying, maybe do the whole procedure again from scratch?
Old 04-16-2020, 09:33 AM

Why would you want to do this, if you already have a Tonedexter and a microphone? What is the advantage?
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-16-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Why would you want to do this, if you already have a Tonedexter and a microphone? What is the advantage?
There's several advantages for me at least. First and foremost it's another flavor. I have no issues with TD wavemaps but I admit I really took to the tone that Jon's algorithm produces with the HFN pickup in particular. I also EQ my custom IR to taste so when it's loaded there's no tweaking needed. I also notch out problem frequencies. I was able to apply a notch filter on an IR from a guitar that has a wolf note that completely eliminated it from being amplified. I realize this type of tweaking won't interest everyone but I certainly appreciate being able to do it.

There was another thread where Aaron Short mentioned that he was going to be doing an interview with James May. One of the questions I mentioned asking was would the user be given the ability to do this with TD wavemaps in a future firmware update. I know it won't appeal to everyone but I would certainly be grateful.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yep I have this done with the IR's that I created with your algorithm. My first 10 TD slots are all custom IR's. I didn't do anything special, just followed their file transfer procedure which is located here: https://audiosprockets.com/tonedexter/wavemap-transfer/

It's true TD uses its own proprietary file type (wm file) which probably stands for wavemap file not windows media file. I'm unable to open those file types with any of my audio software. I upload my custom IR's as WAV files to TD and it works fine. Whether its supposed to is another story.
I just looked at the AudioSprockets website, and the IR transfer only works for the original ToneDexter, not the new second generation version.

The reason is that the original WaveMap format was basically just an IR. The new ToneDexter II WaveMap also includes a bunch of other proprietary settings (blend, EQ, feedback avoiding notches, etc.).

At some point I expect there to be a way to load standard IRs into the ToneDexter II, but there currently isn’t any way to do this.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I don't normally announce features ahead of them being ready, BUT we are very close to releasing V2.3 which will support importing 3rd party IRs. We've had a number of requests for this feature.

Acceptable formats will be:
  • .WAV files with 16,24,32 or 32FP bit depth, 30K-50K sample rate, mono.
  • Legacy ToneDexter 1st gen WaveMap .WM files

There is an option to import them unaltered, or to optimized them for better performance with TD II.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 04-22-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
I don't normally announce features ahead of them being ready, BUT we are very close to releasing V2.3 which will support importing 3rd party IRs. We've had a number of requests for this feature.

Acceptable formats will be:
  • .WAV files with 16,24,32 or 32FP bit depth, 30K-50K sample rate, mono.
  • Legacy ToneDexter 1st gen WaveMap .WM files

There is an option to import them unaltered, or to optimized them for better performance with TD II.
Awesome James! How about the other way around? I feel that my Tonedexter captures a noticeably better IR than my Nux Optima Air. I would love to be able to use it in my Helix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification