The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 AM
Charter Member

Default What do you think of these cracks?

I'm always on the lookout for an old Ovation, takes me back to the day. This one has popped up on my local CL and it's got quite a few cracks. What do you think about the sellers speculation that a good dose of humidification will help heal the cracks? Also, if humidification doesn't do the trick what would be the next step? Cleating? What would that estimated cost in your opinion? I know lots of guitars have cracks and are still fully functional just wondering folks thoughts on this one.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/4718124755.html

Rob
Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 AM

I love the old Ovation Balladeers. They were unique and special in 70's. That one is a little to cracked for me but if the neck is still good it would be a steal for a campfire guitar.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 AM

That is a steal at $150. If you can't get a piece of paper into the cracks, I would humidify it, and run a bead of glue on top of each crack and work it into the crack with your finger until you can't get any more into the crack, then wipe off the excess with a damp rag or paper towel. Allow it to dry overnight and then you can run a bead of Superglue over the cracks to seal them. I would not cleat them unless they open up again.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-17-2014, 06:03 AM

Humidification alone will not fix that. They will need glued and cleated to make a lasting repair.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:12 AM

The cracks are the damage you can see. The same thing that caused them could well have caused damage you can't see. I'd be very cautious.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Ovation has built with several different bracing patterns, some of which have been more successful than others. I have seen Ovation guitars that have not been worth working on, since the tops warped to a degree such that they would need to be removed and rebuilt or re-braced.

Cracks of the nature in your photos will need to be glued and cleated. There is a good chance that the soundboard is "peeling" off of the braces near the cracks, so this will need to be verified and glued as necessary.

Ovation uses thick finishes on many models. Quite often, these cracks on their thickly finished guitars never quite level off after gluing and clamping. (My guess is that the finish acts similarly to some pick-guards that shrink and pull the outside surface of the soundboard tighter than the inside surface, thus warping and sometimes cracking the softwood.

Humidification alone is never a "fix" for any crack, nor will humidification bring any degree of rectification with the Ovation pictured, as others have commented.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-17-2014, 12:33 PM

ha! humidification without a proper repair job will (and only barely cosmetically) last as long as it takes for the seller to get out of town after the sale.

but, if you're an ovation fan, $150 isn't a bad deal. that case is hard to find as well. were it mine i'd pull the bowl off. then you can fix everything nicely, cleats, re-glue braces , etc... not as hard as it looks.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that even at the attractive price that the potential pitfalls outweigh the upside. I'll keep looking.

rob
Old 10-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that even at the attractive price that the potential pitfalls outweigh the upside. I'll keep looking.

rob
Good idea as humidification will not cure that problem!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair