The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM

Default compressor or turbine

I just finished my 7th instrument, an OM size guitar with mahogany and adirondack spruce. The quality of my work seems to be slowly but steadily improving, but near the end I was having trouble spraying nitro. I have a cheap HVLP gun and an old compressor and near the end I got so frustrated I was ready to grab a paint brush. Anyway, it's done now and looks pretty good, and sounds and plays very good, my best yet. So, I'm ready to buy some good spray equipment and I'm thinking maybe turbine. Any of you guys use turbines? What are the pros and cons of compressor versus turbine? Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Danny Gray
Old 10-10-2014, 06:55 PM

You would need a true HVLP gun not a "conversion..." HVLP relies on very low pressure, and a pressurized pot or tank. The one I have even warms the air as well which supposedly aids in atomization. I also find it better for finishes that lay down with slightly coarser atomization and longer wet time, for example waterborne finishes.* I still prefer a conversion gun or conventional gun for lacquer.

I would opt for a compressor with a larger tank and a good inline air filter/dryer. DeVilbiss makes a rea'lly nice gun that I've been looking at myself as far as conversion guns. I feel Binks makes some of the best conventional guns and I have a couple. SATA makes great guns but they try to steer you into using disposable cups and such.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:41 PM

Over the years I've used both compressor and turbine. I've not used an HVLP conversion gun with my compressor, just a standard gun. Based on that experience, I don't see any particular advantage to using a compressor. However, if you run any pneumatic tools, you'll want/need a compressor, regardless, and may want to stick to one machine for both spraying and powering tools.

A turbine has a number of potential advantages for spraying. First, as Louie stated, it warms the air being sprayed. Second, there is no need for in-line pressure regulator, water trap or oil filter. Third, using an HVLP, compressor or turbine driven, reduces the overspray considerably - but you probably already know that. Fourth, if relevant to you, turbines are small, lightweight and portable.

On the downside, turbine-driven guns have large-diameter hoses between the turbine and gun that are less flexible than traditional air lines. Not a big deal, but it does change the handling of the gun.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:04 AM

I have used both here are my 2 cents....

Turbine, Biggest pro is portability. while this matters to a cabinet man it really doesn't to most of us. The heated air can be a blessing and a curse. it can help with blush but can require the addition of extra reducers to combat dry spray. Extra reducers cost money and time. Most I have used were loud, very loud. Choices of guns are rather limited and our needs for a gun can be quite a bit different than a cabinet makers, we only spray detail stuff and not large panels. The large hose is cumbersome and dictates the unit be fairly close by.

Traditional compressor and gun; Biggest pro is flexibility. Many choices of guns. I have one set up just for sealers, another for clears, and one for colors.You can also use an airbrush for touch up and subtle effects. On the downside this is a much more expensive route to take. I have spent as much on one really nice gun as you would for an entry level turbine. If you are going this route don't be cheap about the guns, you get what you pay for. Having enough compressor for the job is important. While spray finishing doesn't require the air that an air sander does it still needs as much as 6-7 cfm at 30 psi. Then there are the regulators, filters etc.

A good finish can be put down with either system, my personal preference is for a compressor and a quality HVLP gun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair