The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Neck angle/fretboard hump - new D-18GE

Hi all, I'm not overly concerned at this point but want some guidance from those much more knowledgeable than me. And let me say that the humidity in my house is regulated, sitting at 47%, right where it's always been.

So, here we go. My brand new D-18GE arrived Friday and I'm loving it. However, this morning, the B string was sounding a little bit dull, so I took a close look at things.

At first I noticed that the saddle on the guitar was a little bit low on the treble side. I'm thinking maybe MFG adjusted the height before sending it out to me, but I'm not sure. Not crazy-low. Just kinda low.

Lower on the treble side, so I'm assuming it was adjusted at the shop. Cool. I checked neck relief; it's perfect.

I then decided to pull out my straight edge and check neck angle. Set the straight edge on the frets and butted it to the bridge. It came in a little bit low on the bridge. Somewhere between 1/16" and 1/32" low. I moved the straight edge back to try again, and I noticed that it "rocked" just a bit as I moved it back.

So, what I've found is a mild hump in the fretboard around the 15th or 16th fret. If I level the straight edge on the bridge side of the hump, I get that measurement of a little less than 1/16" (a little more than 1/32") below the top of the bridge.

If I level the straight edge on the headstock side of the hump (back to around the 10th fret), the straight edge comes out just a hair below the top of the bridge.

So when I saw the slightly low saddle, my first thought was bad neck angle. But it seems that if I line up the straight edge with the frets on the the headstock side of this hump in the fretboard, the neck angle comes out fine.

I know fretboard humps are "common" and that's why Taylor engineered the NT neck.

So I guess my question is, would you spend any time worrying about this? Is this a non-issue?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 AM

From everything you've described it sounds fine, saddles typically are lower on the treble side, it's a non-issue, from someone who has owned a lot of Martins including GE's.

Sounds like new guitar stress to me, relax and play that puppy until your fingers fall off................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Humanist

If your action is where you like it, your picture shows plenty of saddle above the bridge...and I am a stickler for having a nice, tall saddle in this regard.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "B string was sounding a little bit dull" however.

It could be that the nut-slot is a bit tight, or it might be your imagination...or a few other things!

Personally I don't like any hump/drop-off in a fingerboard at the neck/body joint, and *I* consider this a major structural/build flaw (IMO, and for *my* playing)...but if you don't play up above the 10-12th fret this likely won't bother you.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Thanks Rich. I know you're the go-to guy for GE knowledge! And "new guitar stress" is right! Also, just checked action, and at 12th fret, it's right where it needs to be, I believe. 4/64" on the treble, and 6/64" on the bass.

Edit: And my fingers ARE about ready to fall off!! hahaha. Good stuff!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks Larry. The B string just doesn't seem to have the same volume and sustain as the others (including high e). I hadn't noticed that at all other than this morning, so maybe my ears are just wonky today.

But, I do not typically do much playing above the 10th fret, so hopefully it's a non-issue.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM

What you are calling a hump maybe the "fall away" that is purposely built into the upper end of many acoustics.
If the neck angle is ok as indicated by extending a straight edge from the nut to the bridge, then you are ok.
Looks like you are in the good range to me plus you've got a little saddle to play with if you do need to go lower.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrat View Post
What you are calling a hump maybe the "fall away" that is purposely built into the upper end of many acoustics.
Yes, thank you. I'd actually considered this, but wasn't sure if "fall away" was a real thing or not! haha. Should've mentioned that in my original post. Seems to me that since the angle from the nut does seem to be fine, and since the action all the way to the body is consistently good, this could very well be the case.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Check this out this fretboard setup graph. Maybe it will help you determine what is going on: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=guita...9,r:5,s:0,i:89
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz_2006 View Post
Thanks Larry. The B string just doesn't seem to have the same volume and sustain as the others (including high e). I hadn't noticed that at all other than this morning, so maybe my ears are just wonky today.
If there is something going on with just the B-string:

1) Is the string seated well against the bridge pin?

2) If this happens with several B-strings, check the radius of the saddle - it may have too much contact area with the string.

3) Other.

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion