The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 PM

Default Help this electric player search for a great OM style acoustic

So I could use some help from some experienced players in the acoustic realm. I mostly play electric guitars so I have invested a lot of money and time into curating my electric collection but recently wanted to get another acoustic.

Over the years I have owned a Larrivee LV03E, Martin OMJM, Taylor GA-8, and Martin D-35.

Of that batch I miss the OMJM the most. I sold it a few years back to get my collings electric guitar but love the recordings I made with it the most, so Im looking to get another OM style guitar.

I recently picked up a Santa Cruz OM standard off of Reverb but there was a lot of repairs that were not disclosed so I sent it back. I loved the balance and tone of that guitar but it seemed like a possible money pit with all the crack stabilization repairs and I have read neck resets for Santa Cruz guitars can be pricey since there is a lot of glue removal needed.

So I went into my local guitar shop Dusty Strings to check out a few collings (OM1 and OM2H) and they had a santa cruz OM that was way over my price range. I again loved the santa cruz and found the collings a little bright but I was curious if the collings open up and get a warmer tone a little more with age?

I have yet to hear or play a bourgeois but have also read good things on here.

So I have a budget ceiling of around 3K and would like to pick up something used but in great condition so I can stretch my money a little. What other brands from Collings and Santa Cruz should I consider for a warm and balanced OM sound?

I usually play a mix of a flat strumming and fingerstyle and play a lot of John Mayer and worship tunes. Electric wise I play a collings i35LC so I already am familiar with their neck profiles and love that guitar from a tone and fit and finish perspective.

Here's a tune I recorded with the OMJM for reference of the kind of tunes I play.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Collings are great guitars as well as the OMJM Martin you owned - no debate .
Im a big fan of Martin OM's ( they invented the model after all ) My OM28v is a phenominal sounding OM but then you have to deal with V neck ( no big deal with me )-the new model OM28 is also a nice guitar . Im not a big fan of Bourgeois they have their own sound and its not my sound - but hey give them a try if you get the chance - nothing to loose by playing alot of brands and models . a friend use to have the Goodall trom ( their different as well but great in their own way )
Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz’s are a little warmer than a Bourgeois, but neither would be considered “bright.” There are some Bourgeoises floating around on reverb for around the 3k dollar mark, and I’ve neber played one that wasn’t wonderful. If you like the Martin sound, they’re definitely a great option (I’m a big fan as can be seen in my signature).

Martin OM-28 would be another good option, from what I’ve experienced and read they’re a little more responsive than the OMJM you previously had. It really just depends if you want a great instrument from a large manufacturer, or if you want to pay a little more for a boutique shop guitar. I wouldn’t skip over a custom shop 000-21 either.
Fender Mocha Burst Ultra Strat
Fender CS '61 Strat NOS
Old 01-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Yeah ... I have read many good reviews about the martin OM28V. I play some bigger neck electrics. My fender nocaser has a big neck and I have fairly large hands so I would be okay with a bigger neck but didnt like the neck on the Martin Eric Clapton model when I was comparing it with the Martin OMJM.

The goodalls are way above my price range. I haven't seen a TROM close to 3K. They seem closer to 4K.

I have never seen a Bourgeois OM locally so I wont be able to test one out. Dusty Strings carries them on occasion but at the moment they only have two D models. The only dealer who has an OM version is down in Eugene Oregon and thats a good 5-6 hour drive so definitely a weekend trip possibly.

Last edited by hendopdx; 01-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm....for my ears and hands...Collings and Bourgeois build my favorite OMs (in that price range...used). I love the woodiness Bourgeois provides and the strong, clear tone Collings provides. SO, those get my vote. There's a short scale Bourgeois at Artisan right now that is killer!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collings, H&D, and Martin all make great OMs. You might like some more than others, even from the same builder but, all have a ton of options. For me, I am loyal to and favor Collings because my ear gravitates to their tone and their fit and finish is impeccable.

So, will a Collings warm up with time? Yes. But, it will never sound like a Martin. It has its own voice. Personally, I do not find them bright. Many refer to them as “high fidelity” guitars and I would agree. There is a lot tonally coming from a Collings. I have owned several over the years and currently have an OM1A and an OM2H - both are great “do anything” guitars.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Find a few good examples of Goodalls... I know how much they are when bought new, but occasionally one will show up used for a very decent price... James has been making REALLY good guitars for decades now, so a Goodall from the 90's is likely to be stellar...

One thing about acoustic guitars; you can't really change them. They are going to sound the way they sound for a LONG time, so be sure to get what you want from the word "go", instead of settling for less than you truly want. Yes, guitars will "play in" from brand new, just off-the-bench, and sometimes they'll grow richer with age and hours played, but you can not buy a guitar thinking that the sound will change radically... not a good bet to make, I'm afraid.

If Collings strike you as "too bright", then you don't want a Collings, 'cause they're all pretty much gonna sound that way. Some folks like that crisp, bright high register. To my ears, Collings are far too bright, so you're not alone in your feeling about that.

GET OUT AND PLAY A BUNCH of fine guitars... you'll find one you love, that you can't put down... and THAT'S the one to buy!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-23-2018, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

If you like the JM Martin then get a tight spaced OM or 000. The JMOM is really a 000 with long scale. Also an electric players dream with a tight saddle and nut width string spacing. 2 1/8" and 1 11/16" nut width respectively.

When they came out 20 years ago I loved those specs because of all the electric and cheaper acoustic guitar playing I have done up until then. I played them at GC due to feel of my background.

There are Collings guitars with these specs but the have a compound radius and play really flat radius way up at the body. They have a nicer fatter neck than the JM martin. You might just want to get one used that has mellowed a bit. But they do have that bright lushness that Taylor, Bourgeois, Larrivee and most others have.

I would broaden your horizons get an acoustic guitar saddle spacing and nut width. Your muscle memory might take a few months but the amount of adult chords you will discover and finger picking developments will be rewarding.

If you don't want bright try an all mahogany or a cedar top acoustic. The new Martin 000-18's are warm sounding with harmonics. Some Gibson's can be warm. EC Martin is warm. Martin D 42's and 45's are warm. Some all koa guitars are warm.

What electric did you play the most? 25.5" Fender or Gibson 25.75" scale?
I bet its Fender from your JM comfort. There are always a lot of those on Reverb and eBay. $2,200 to 2,800 used price.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
If you like the JM Martin then get a tight spaced OM or 000. The JMOM is really a 000 with long scale. Also an electric players dream with a tight saddle and nut width string spacing. 2 1/8" and 1 11/16" nut width respectively.

When they came out 20 years ago I loved those specs because of all the electric and cheaper acoustic guitar playing I have done up until then. I played them at GC due to feel of my background.

There are Collings guitars with these specs but the have a compound radius and play really flat radius way up at the body. They have a nicer fatter neck than the JM martin. You might just want to get one used that has mellowed a bit. But they do have that bright lushness that Taylor, Bourgeois, Larrivee and most others have.

I would broaden your horizons get an acoustic guitar saddle spacing and nut width. Your muscle memory might take a few months but the amount of adult chords you will discover and finger picking developments will be rewarding.

If you don't want bright try an all mahogany or a cedar top acoustic. The new Martin 000-18's are warm sounding with harmonics. Some Gibson's can be warm. EC Martin is warm. Martin D 42's and 45's are warm. Some all koa guitars are warm.

What electric did you play the most? 25.5" Fender or Gibson 25.75" scale?
I bet its Fender from your JM comfort. There are always a lot of those on Reverb and eBay. $2,200 to 2,800 used price.
I mostly play fender scale guitars. I play a fender custom shop nocaster and suhr classic strat. I have been playing my collings 135LC quite a bit too but the nocaster gets the most play time. I randomly played a taylor with a mahogany top and enjoyed it but it was a short scale 12 fret steel string but it looked more like a classical guitar. I'd like to get something different than the OMJM this time around and while I have tried a few guitars the Seattle Area only has a couple of dealers with higher end acoustics.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Collings, H&D, and Martin all make great OMs. You might like some more than others, even from the same builder but, all have a ton of options. For me, I am loyal to and favor Collings because my ear gravitates to their tone and their fit and finish is impeccable.

So, will a Collings warm up with time? Yes. But, it will never sound like a Martin. It has its own voice. Personally, I do not find them bright. Many refer to them as “high fidelity” guitars and I would agree. There is a lot tonally coming from a Collings. I have owned several over the years and currently have an OM1A and an OM2H - both are great “do anything” guitars.
Which do you like more of the two collings OMs you own? I have looked at both of those but only had the opportunity to play the OM2H.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendopdx View Post
Of that batch I miss the OMJM the most.
Can you just get another OMJM? Seems like the easiest path.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Can you just get another OMJM? Seems like the easiest path.
Most on reverb at the moment are over 3K which is overpriced in my opinion. Mine was mint and sold for $2700. If I am going to spend 3K I might as well consider some boutique builders.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Most on reverb at the moment are over 3K which is overpriced in my opinion. Mine was mint and sold for $2700. If I am going to spend 3K I might as well consider some boutique builders.
Consider boutiques, sure, but Martin is still Martin and they are the original. Plus you already know you like them. That's where my search would begin and most likely end if I were looking for an OM style acoustic guitar.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: OMJM

The OMJM lists at $4,800. One of our Forum Sponsors can probably get a new one to you for under your target.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
So I could use some help from some experienced players in the acoustic realm. I mostly play electric guitars so I have invested a lot of money and time into curating my electric collection but recently wanted to get another acoustic.

Over the years I have owned a Larrivee LV03E, Martin OMJM, Taylor GA-8, and Martin D-35.

Of that batch I miss the OMJM the most. I sold it a few years back to get my collings electric guitar but love the recordings I made with it the most, so Im looking to get another OM style guitar.

I recently picked up a Santa Cruz OM standard off of Reverb but there was a lot of repairs that were not disclosed so I sent it back. I loved the balance and tone of that guitar but it seemed like a possible money pit with all the crack stabilization repairs and I have read neck resets for Santa Cruz guitars can be pricey since there is a lot of glue removal needed.

So I went into my local guitar shop Dusty Strings to check out a few collings (OM1 and OM2H) and they had a santa cruz OM that was way over my price range. I again loved the santa cruz and found the collings a little bright but I was curious if the collings open up and get a warmer tone a little more with age?

I have yet to hear or play a bourgeois but have also read good things on here.

So I have a budget ceiling of around 3K and would like to pick up something used but in great condition so I can stretch my money a little. What other brands from Collings and Santa Cruz should I consider for a warm and balanced OM sound?

I usually play a mix of a flat strumming and fingerstyle and play a lot of John Mayer and worship tunes. Electric wise I play a collings i35LC so I already am familiar with their neck profiles and love that guitar from a tone and fit and finish perspective.

Here's a tune I recorded with the OMJM for reference of the kind of tunes I play.

How about keep your eyes (web searches) open for a used Santa Cruz OMS? That’s a variation that’s really a 14 fret 000. It has that tone not as pushing it as a Collings and less nasal than some Martins. The short scale will feel great if your’e an electric player.

You query stands out even more to me with mention of your Collings electric. I have SoCo 16 and with it and the SCGC OMS I’ve been GAS-free for at least 5 years.

The Bourgeois guitars I’ve tried have been wonderful and IIRC, Spruce Tree in Madison, WI who sells new ones had a used OM not long ago.

Price point might be a difficulty. It might be reflecting how many are customs, but it seems like the Santa Cruz and Bourgeois in local stock have had noticeable price increases since my purchase. OTOH, I’m so happy to be GAS-free for 5 years.

At a lower price you might find Martin OM-28Vs that are really good. I had one with kind of an ugly duckling top that was tremendous among the few of that model I tried.

Have fun shopping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion