The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-23-2017, 08:14 AM

Default Wow, are these thing collector's items now? (Chevy truck content)

I have a 1998 Chevy truck as seen here:

These days? It's got over 190k miles, starting to get some rust in the rockers (just like all Chevys do), and it has all kinds of leaks and makes funky noises. It also has some electrical issues that add to its "personality." However, with all of that said, it pulls the mountain every day on the way to and from work, and it keeps me safe. It hauls my drums and PA system, my kids, and my wife just fine. That's all I really care about. She's not beauty queen, but who cares? It's just an old Chevy, right?

Ummm....

I started seeing some of these for sale around town. Apparently, there's a market for these older K1500 trucks. Check out these ads:

Price: $26,500 1995 z71 (low miles)

1988 Chevy (really low miles) $25,000

Are these things becoming collector's items? Granted, these are in great shape, especially considering their age, but is there a market for these in lower-mile versions?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post

Ummm....

I started seeing some of these for sale around town. Apparently, there's a market for these older K1500 trucks. Check out these ads:

Price: $26,500 1995 z71 (low miles)

1988 Chevy (really low miles) $25,000

Are these things becoming collector's items? Granted, these are in great shape, especially considering their age, but is there a market for these in lower-mile versions?
YIKES. Not me, for a few grand more I'd buy new. I could see for a vintage El Camino, but a 25 yr old, K1500 ??

Well, as the saying goes, if u can get it, go for it....

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
YIKES. Not me, for a few grand more I'd buy new. I could see for a vintage El Camino, but a 25 yr old, K1500 ??

Even if the older truck is in terrific shape, was garage-kept, etc., there are still a lot of potential issues that can happen in older cars. Even if not in use, things still deteriorate: anything rubber dries, anything plastic can get very brittle over time, etc.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I watched some of this past weekends Barrett-Jackson Vegas auction coverage and I did notice a pickup or two of that vintage going for $ that surprised me. With only minor exception, I have little interest in vehicles newer than ‘72. Given the average older age of AGFers, I suspect that most car guys here wouldn’t consider late ‘80s/90s as collector items or even worth the $ that they may be getting. That said, most vehicles that have very low mileage, have been well-maintained and are virtually pristine will command a premium price unless the model was a known dud. Jmo.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Who would want to go back to carburetors? Points and condensers? Tune ups every 5K miles?

Not me!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-23-2017, 10:58 AM

My experience was the mid 1970s through 90s (3rd and 4th gen c/k?) were archetypes for American automotive SFQ. In that previous life mine was quite dependent on a GM plant that made them and I recall a few exception Ford purchases just to have less rust, crap falling apart, but the Ford weaknesses too.

Maybe it was a childhood through early adulthood of 2 scrap processors, a farm and recycling center but my goal in life was to not have to drive such crap unless you had to. Now I shake my head to see people that have and want them but don't need them. Maybe it's no need to play super trucker because pickups and real trucks were something I had to drive vs want to???

Oh well, thanks for the memories of patching cab holes with cardboard, the stupid 3 on the tree shifters, carburetors, changing fuel pumps in winter, and being glad I drive a modern station wagon. Maybe it's all relative. I remember friends who had Vegas, a Pinto and Dodge Dart when I had the pickup truck version of such utter crap. That's all probably why I like a one speed bicycle.

I think Kenworths and Peterbilts are the only things I drove in that era that were not SFQ and something that brings good riddance to mind.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 AM

Let me know when they get the $25K for either of those.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Those trucks are both nice but not even worth 1/3 of their asking price.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Aren't new trucks more expensive than a few grand more than mid $20k?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Who would want to go back to carburetors? Points and condensers? Tune ups every 5K miles?

Not me!
Cars haven't had points since the mid 70s with few exceptions, carbs since the mid 80s.

I'm not in love with those things, but they sure are easy peazy to mess with and fix. The new stuff requires a deep understanding of elaborate software, electronics and mechanical systems.

The mid 90s is my favorite era in terms of having a vehicle that's well appointed, yet easy to work on. I fully admit I'm a .1% person though. I am not down with all the modern doodads and gizmos on modern cars.

I still demand a stickshift - making it tough to find suitable cars here in the US.

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 10-23-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Aren't new trucks more expensive than a few grand more than mid $20k?
Not the truck I quoted (Pictured). It's a 2 door, probably 2 wheel drive. You can get a new 1500 base model, work truck trim I think it's called.... for 28K ish............

I Was not talking about a Crew Cab, High Country trim package...

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 10-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Not the truck I quoted (Pictured). It's a 2 door, probably 2 wheel drive. You can get a new 1500 base model, work truck trim I think it's called.... for 28K ish............

I Was not talking about a Crew Cab, High Country trim package...

Both trucks you quoted are 4x4; the first is the Z71 premium 4x4 package, the second is a 4x4 GMC, which is more upscale than the Chevy.

Not defending these insane prices, but comparing them to a stripped down, 2WD new truck isn't exactly fair...
Old 10-23-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Both trucks you quoted are 4x4; the first is the Z71 premium 4x4 package, the second is a 4x4 GMC, which is more upscale than the Chevy.

Not defending these insane prices, but comparing them to a stripped down, 2WD new truck isn't exactly fair...
Point is, I'd rather a 2017 1500 "WT" truck (probably has more standard features) than a 25 year old truck.. I think when all factors are figured in (Improved Reliability, safety features, newer/better technology, a brand new vehicle/warranty, ), it's probably more than fair, which again, is the point trying to make.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut

Last edited by gjd100; 10-23-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM

That's cool, but there are a lot of people that prefer older styling and older technology.

A lot of new technology is focused on cheaper manufacturing costs and complying with bureacratic regulations - and not necessarily a higher quality customer experience.

Clearly, if the market for a 25 year old pickup truck is commanding such premiums, there are a lot of people that value the styling and/or simplicity of the older models.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Every generation has its car nostalgia and are willing to pay dearly for the models they couldn’t afford back in the day. Now with money to spare, boomers and older tend to prefer cars/trucks up to the early ‘70s and are paying big bucks to have them. GenXers and Millenials feel the same about ‘80s, ‘90s and newer because their nostalgia lies in those years, plus they don’t have the experience pre-enviro regs and real performance. That said, for a while now, their are some pretty high performance cars being produced. They don’t do anything for me personally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic