The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks Steve....
Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 PM

There is also the ES-355 which is what I own. It is an amazing guitar. It is a bit more pricy though. I managed to snag mine when they were blowing them out for $500.

The Epiphone Lucille is always awesome and about the same street price as the 355.

A sweet deal and I think a cool guitar (I do love P90s) is the Riviera Custom P93. Street for these seems to be $500 which seems like a smoking price to me.

Just throwing out some other ideas.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbird View Post
Hi folks...decided I NEED an electric. I play acoustic, but really want to explore blues and jazz (electric). I have played an Epiphone dot vs and that thing weighs a ton. So, I'm thinking the ES 335 or 339. Have not had the opportunity to play either but since I'm not willing to shell out $$$$ for a Gibson or Fender, I'm pretty sure one of the Epi's will work. I find the 339 (ultra) interesting given that it will emulate an acoustic or can be combined for electric/acoustic tone, I also like the size.

Pros - Cons

Thanks - David

The 339 design to me just seems wrong. Jon Herington plays so doggone well but looks ridiculous when he's got one of those on.

A Dot is about $400 used but the fretwork will need dialing up and the electronics should be tossed wholesale. You can make one into a really sharp gigging guitar if you re-electrify it and sand down the mile-thick finish though. Get a Korean Dot if at all possible -- a million times better guitar than the later Chinese ones.

One of the best bargains out there is a Gibson ES-333. If an ES-335 is a D-28, the 333 is a D-18. Serious electricals and overall very high quality, for about half the cost of a 335. I found one with a truly gigundo neck, and it's just about perfection.

The coolest semi-hollow out there, which can be had for a song if you can find one, has to be an old Yamaha SA-700. It is a serious piece of gear in every way and in many respects is far better than an actual 335.

Most semi-hollows are kind of heavy (8-9 lb) but because of the way they fit, they won't feel like anvils like some Les Pauls do.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 11-01-2014, 07:17 AM

Just checked MF's site. Dots,335 and 339 are all about within 50 dollars of each other.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Just checked MF's site. Dots,335 and 339 are all about within 50 dollars of each other.

Don't get an Epiphone that came over on a giant container ship from God knows what dark corner of China, has crappy wood, execrable electronics, and a two inch thick coating of polyurethane. Get yourself something decent that will have a little resale value and is good to play.

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Old 11-01-2014, 07:58 PM

Well the OP is new at it, wants to explore as he says. For around four hundred dollars he really cant get hurt if its not his thing. He can always use it to practice on, ( like I do ). Lots easier on the fingers when learning scales, chord forms, etc. I do have a Dot, three years now, no problems, plays real smooth. Pickups are not the best thing but for my needs works just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars