The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Default Epiphone - 335 or 339

Hi folks...decided I NEED an electric. I play acoustic, but really want to explore blues and jazz (electric). I have played an Epiphone dot vs and that thing weighs a ton. So, I'm thinking the ES 335 or 339. Have not had the opportunity to play either but since I'm not willing to shell out $$$$ for a Gibson or Fender, I'm pretty sure one of the Epi's will work. I find the 339 (ultra) interesting given that it will emulate an acoustic or can be combined for electric/acoustic tone, I also like the size.

Pros - Cons

Thanks - David
Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM

played a used dot over the weekend and unfortunately wasn't all that oleased with it. curious as those in op's question as well
Old 10-27-2014, 03:08 PM

I have a Washburn's copy of the 335, and I love it! I did try out the 339, and it felt small to me...and a bit heavier. Oh, I'm 5'2", and I do play a Les Paul!

I think the 335 is "lighter" because of its larger size, the weight is distributed (evenly) all the way around the guitar, instead of all the parts being compacted in a smaller size...if that makes any sense.

But if you feel that the 335 "weighs a ton", and you like the 339 "size", I think you've already answered your own question.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbird View Post
..I have played an Epiphone Dot VS and that thing weighs a ton. So, I'm thinking the ES 335 or 339...I find the 339 (Ultra) interesting given that it will emulate an acoustic or can be combined for electric/acoustic tone, I also like the size...Pros - Cons...
Here's a thread I posted when I got mine in May:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=341527

FYI the Ultra was discontinued earlier this year, but you may still be able to find some NOS around if you look. In addition to the review I did at the end of the thread, here's some additional long-term impressions now that the honeymoon's over:

Pros
If you're looking for light weight it's definitely lighter than most - mine scales in at 7 lbs. 2 oz. according to the original Sweetwater posting - easy-handling, and surprisingly resonant both unplugged and amplified. The humbuckers are Epi's version of Gibson's PAF - this baby sounds like a full-on US-made 335 plugged in, far better than a lot of the '80s/'90s Gibson stuff I've played (including my own first-run '61 SG Reissue) - and the Shadow NanoMag allows for some interesting tonal variations when blended with the 'buckers. The bridge pickup ring sports a digital tuner (that doubles as a mute switch) - handy for tuning during a set, and you don't need a pedal taking up pace on your board or a Snark hanging from your headstock. Finally, if you're into computer-based recording (I'm not) there's a built-in USB port and a free GuitarRig download...

Cons
Whoever voiced the NanoMag used in this application must've had his face in too many Marshall stacks, since his high-end hearing is obviously shot: this thing is bright with a capital B, and you'll need a darker-sounding electric guitar amp rather than an acoustic-electric rig to get any kind of usable stand-alone acoustic tone (interestingly the LP Ultra doesn't have the same problem, and sounds far more natural). The neck is also an unusual shape, not the Gibson-inspired "Slim-Taper" claimed in the ad copy (which the LP has, BTW) but a cheeky, chunky, flattened-D profile that would probably be just the ticket for a guitar-playing chimpanzee. If you're running both pickups together in mono you'll need to blend in a bit of NanoMag to add some sparkle to the tone - a problem that disappears when patching into the topmost input and running the 'buckers alone. It's also a bit finicky in terms of setup - it took me six months to find a string/action combination that it really likes (11-50 flats/medium-low)...

Overall
There's a reason this one was succeeded by the 339 Pro with its coil-tapped humbuckers, and considering I bought mine for the same reasons you're thinking, if I had it to do over again I'd be looking at the LP Ultra - while it's a couple pounds heavier and a couple hundred bucks more expensive, it's also a better-thought-out package IMO. If you're looking for a lightweight, straight-ahead blues/jazz guitar Amazon's running the Godin CW II Kingpin - a dual P-90, single-cut 16" hollowbody in the mold of the first-issue ES-175 - for $617 in blonde with TRIC case (go to the one that says "Click for Product Details"); at just a tick over five pounds it's about the same weight as many large-body acoustics, feels/plays like one of the late-model Seagulls with the 1.72" neck, and can handle anything short of death metal (I love mine, BTW - also got it from Amazon on sale). If you're interested I'd move quickly, though - Amazon runs these sales every once in a rare while and discontinues them without notice, and considering this one sells for just under $1K everywhere else you're not going to beat the deal...

Good luck...
Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Aggghhh....Read your review Steve and am rethinking my selection. My price point is below a grand...so I was thinking Epiphone Ultra. Between you and Franchel, it appears I need to do a bit more research...and playing. I have an Epi dealer close to me...unaware of any Washburn dealers within a 150 miles or so. (Memphis or St. Louis...I'm half way between).

The one thing that seems to be a constant theme is the fret issues with the Epis. I plan on buying new for that very reason if I purchase an Epi. Probably go new with any brand at this point.

Thanks for everyone's input...transitioning to an electric appears to be an adventure in the making.

David
Old 10-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for derailing your thread intended to discuss Epi's, but if your price range is below $1k, and you are looking for a 335 style guitar, I believe one can do no better than an Eastman T386. Nitro finish, 1 3/4 nut width, good stock pups, fast and slim (but not too slim) neck, comfortable frets, fully bound. Feels like a custom shop guitar. It's my main instrument and I gig with it regularly.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:47 PM

Jefferson....thanks for the info....I like the size of the 339....maybe have to go to a LP...don't know. I just really love the looks of the ES style. Maybe I should be considering substance over style. I'll take a look at the Eastman. Same situation with the Washburn....no dealers for miles and miles. BUT... I'm on a mission!
Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
...I just really love the looks of the ES style. Maybe I should be considering substance over style...
Amazon's price on the Godin just went down to $595.77 with case; as I said I own one (that I also bought from Amazon), I can't recommend it strongly enough, and you'll find it to be a perennial favorite both here and on the Archtop forum. If you're serious you might want to move on it tonight while the getting is good; you're essentially paying 50% off list, $400 below market retail - IMO it's the best straight-up hollowbody in the under-$1K bracket, it's not likely to go any lower, and you'll never find a deal like this again...
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jefferson....thanks for the info....I like the size of the 339....maybe have to go to a LP...don't know. I just really love the looks of the ES style. Maybe I should be considering substance over style. I'll take a look at the Eastman. Same situation with the Washburn....no dealers for miles and miles. BUT... I'm on a mission!
I have a Gibson ES-359 (custom shop 339). I like the size, etc. and the jack plug on the side, not the top of the guitar. if you get a semi-hollow Epi with humbuckers you can get an LP sound out of it.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:15 AM

Look at the Ibanez line. Great semi hollow guitars for the money.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 AM

I don't think you're going to find any of your options much LIGHTER than the Epi Dot - they really are not heavy at all compared to solid body guitars.

Looks for used models - Gibson or Epiphone - to save some money, but play any one you find for a while. The problem with Epiphones for quite a while has been consistent quality, not every guitar is the same, some are good , some are lemons.
With my Epi Dot Studio, I couldn't get the intonation right - using the usualy extra light strings I've used on electrics for decades. Moved up to some jazz mediums with a wound G string and all of a sudden the intonation problem disappeared.
Then I had a problem with the output jack loosening - before I could address it, one of the wires on it disconnected. Fishing wires/components through a semi-hollowbody is not easy (there are techniques I learned).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-29-2014, 08:04 AM

The 339 is a fun guitar. It's definitely a winner if you want to pick on the bed, couch, or sitting on the floor with your back to the couch. I've done all three, and it's a lot easier than with a 335.

I guarantee you that you can find a used Epi 339 at just about any guitar center, so it'll be cheap experiment to see if you like it or not. I have a Parker fly with piezo. Everybody thinks they will use it. Few do. I do, so I highly recommend having at least one guitar with faux-acoustic capabilities.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM

Hopefully this isn't to far off topic butt if you have a chance to check them out in your travels try some Gretsch Electromatics too. They have some nice ones.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/semi-...rrencyCode=USD
Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Steve...apparently I missed the deal. Can't find that model Godin on Amazon at the price you indicated.
David
Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Steve...apparently I missed the deal. Can't find that model Godin on Amazon at the price you indicated...
Seems a guy on the Archtop forum got to it before you did - here's the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwannabe View Post
Just ordered a natural one from Amazon for $595.35 and free shipping. It says there are 3 left. Thanks
Still there, but price went back up to $727.83 (FYI you need to go to the one that says "Click for Product Information") - as he said they still have three in stock, so you might either choose to wait it out in hopes it'll go down again or take it at the current (and still bargain) price...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-29-2014 at 07:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars