The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeepem View Post
I wouldn't limit myself to having to be MIA as your first... as others say, look for a clean used, I have em all, MIA, MIM, China Custom Vibe Squires with my left stock MIA's being the least played because I tweaked the others to be as good if not better, hell I just picked up a perfect used with the plastic still on the guard, 2012 CV60 from GC for $200.00 switched out the tremelo with a MIM big block($18.00, from Amazon and a set of Rose Mariposa's pu's for 65 bucks) and it kicks butt...Fender MIA is all hype and marketing, I even have some home brew MiteyMite body's and neck part casters that are awesome...but if you just have to have that Fender with the MIA serial number then your the perfect candidate for their pricing...
MIA is NOT all hype and marketing. The fretwork is consistently better (that's a BIGGIE) and the pickups are ALWAYS better. Those are pretty significant things IMO! The prices are high, but NOTHING compared to Gibson, PRS... I say buy MIA if you can, but buy it used.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
Do yourself a favor and check out the American USA Nitro Satin Series in hand rubbed honeyburst finish. It sells for $799.00 and uses the standard pick ups, comes with a soft gig bag instead of a hard case, a maple neck, and vintage saddles. It is truly amazing and looks better than the painted ones. I take lessons from a really good guitarist (not just a player) and he was even impressed. Considering plays a custom built Warrior, custom built Tele (that he played), and an eight string custom built Ibanez, that's saying a lot.
I have to second this. The Nitro Satin Series is a great guitar. It's a lot like (if not identical to) the old Hwy 1 line, which I own. My Hwy 1 Tele is a great guitar. It's American made. One of these days, I'll get around to swapping the pickups out. They good, but I could upgrade.

If you're looking for an American Fender, I think it's always a good idea to look into the lower lines of their American lines. Many times, it's a great guitar with okay electronics. So buy a soldering gun, do some research regarding which pickups you'd like, and build a personalized guitar from the American body.

I have an MIM Strat with Fender 54 Custom pups in it. The thing sounds great. It's an early MIM (94), when they still had poplar bodies. I would never claim that the Mexican guitars are better than the Americans. But I think some of their MIM guitars and MIJ guitars are pretty spectacular instruments that are always worth exploring.

And if you're worried about the quality, authenticity, etc. of a used instrument, you should buy from a reputable shop that will help you verify the instrument or allow you a legitimate return policy. It's easy to pass off a knock-off as legit and there are MANY things to research regarding different years and models. It's best to cross-check that stuff at home with the help of internet resources.

Finally, play them. I love that my Hwy 1 has jumbo frets. Not medium jumbo. Jumbo. They're dynamite. My MIM has medium jumob, and they're great too. But I really prefer the larger frets on electric. That is just one of the many differences that exist model-to-model, and the best way to find out what you like is to play is to play them.

Good luck on your journey! Please let us know what you decide on!

Martin 000-15M, Cordoba Fusion 14 RS, Alvarez AD60CE, Ibanez M510 Mandolin, Fishman Loudbox Mini, Fender Hwy 1 Tele, Fender MIM Strat w/ Custom 54 pups, American Fender Pro Jr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars