The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-08-2014, 04:10 PM

Default Electric Guitar & Amp Suggestions

I've been playing acoustic for over a decade, and have never owned an electric, but am finally tempted. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I've mainly played Gibson acoustics, so I would prefer a Gibson or Epiphone, but am also open to other brands. I want to spend about $1k for both the guitar and a small amp for bedroom noodling. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD1983 View Post
I've been playing acoustic for over a decade, and have never owned an electric, but am finally tempted. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I've mainly played Gibson acoustics, so I would prefer a Gibson or Epiphone, but am also open to other brands. I want to spend about $1k for both the guitar and a small amp for bedroom noodling. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
If you want Gibson new, that's pretty much the budget for just the entry level guitars without the amp. Try used or an Epi, then you could find an amp and stay in your budget.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:16 PM

All depends on the kind of music you want to do. There's a number of classic combinations out there.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:29 PM

Amp: Fender Mustang I

Guitar: Les Paul Jr in TV Yellow
Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 PM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp

Here you go. If you use coupon code "fallsave14" before the 13th you save $90 on the amp. That'll give you a great rig right at your budget.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I own several electrics including 2 Les Pauls, 335, 175, Strats, Telecasters etc. I usually reach for one of my Strats. I use my Deluxe Reverb 90% of the time but occasionally play through my Vox AC15.

It depends on what kind of music you're playing but a Strat is tough to beat. I also have 2 pedal boards loaded with ex but if I had to I could get by with just a tube screamer.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:19 PM

For an primarily acoustic player nothing fits better than an Epi hollowbody (Korean made, not Chinese). You might find one like I just sold, that had already been upgraded with great pickups. If not, you can snag one for $300-$350 and spend another $150 and upgrade the pickups to what you want.

As to the amp, I'll leave that to others. There are many great low budget amps that will fit the bill. Good luck!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I own several electrics including 2 Les Pauls, 335, 175, Strats, Telecasters etc. I usually reach for one of my Strats. I use my Deluxe Reverb 90% of the time but occasionally play through my Vox AC15.

It depends on what kind of music you're playing but a Strat is tough to beat. I also have 2 pedal boards loaded with ex but if I had to I could get by with just a tube screamer.
I think his budget is 1K......
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Good Strats start around $400 especially used. Find a good used tube amp (Peavey Classic 30) and there you are.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Consider a Tele.

Gibson electrics are a whole different ball of wax than the acoustics. The headstock is the only thing that's really similar.

I'd go to your local Guitar Center, music store, or pawn shop and play some things and see what you like. $1000 will buy you all you need to get started with used or second line gear, but is not much to work with for new stuff, especially if you want a gig-quality amp.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 10-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

hi M.D. 1983...

I've owned Gibson Les Paul, Les Paul JR, SG, Ibanez, G&L, Fender, and thinned the herd to a Fender Stat & Tele and Fender Blues JR amp, & an 11 watt tube amp with an 8" Celestion speaker, & a very small Roland Cube that can run on batteries.

You might want to go to a music store and put in a couple hours listening to the difference between electrics. It's far more diverse than between acoustic guitars.

A starter electric & decent small solid state amp can be had for well under $500. For another $150 you could get some inexpensive pedals or a modeller (a bunch of effects in one unit).

Hope you find a great electric to learn on...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP McD View Post
Consider a Tele.

Gibson electrics are a whole different ball of wax than the acoustics. The headstock is the only thing that's really similar.

I'd go to your local Guitar Center, music store, or pawn shop and play some things and see what you like. $1000 will buy you all you need to get started with used or second line gear, but is not much to work with for new stuff, especially if you want a gig-quality amp.
I'm with JP here. I love Gibson acoustics, but Teles snd Strats usually suit acoustic players better for some reason, and in your price range, a PRS SE is the best Gibson-like guitar, and a G&L Tribute is the best Fender-like guitar, IMO. The Epiphones and Fender Squiers are fine, just not on the same quality level. A Fender Mustang amp is a great suggestion - very versatile, headphone out, downloadable content to play along with...a terrific value. Look into them. Or if you want something simple, a Fender Blues Junior is pretty hard to beat.

P
Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 PM

On the amp side of things, I can't recommend the Peavey Bandit enough. Especially the US made Transtube models.

They sound great, are versitile as heck ( the red stripe versions are my fav. ), and are as cheap as dirt. Used ones can be found everywhere for under $200!

They also have more than enough power to gig with.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 10-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Guitar
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEZMTG

Guitar
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S771PBNTF

Amp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10

Amp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10C

Amp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR10X
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 PM

this is easy, get a Fender Telecaster
best electric guitar I've ever had
that is my humble opinion of course

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars